Do I need experience to pass the Comptia Sec + exam?

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
I took and passed my A+ exam yesterday. I studied for about a month and gotten a pretty good score on it so I’m very proud of that.

I’ve decided to skip getting Network + and go straight to getting security + because I’ve always been interested in that field but from what I been told I need at least a few years of experience as a IT administrator to pass it.

I was wondering if anyone on here have been able to pass it without much experience at all. I would really just rather get the cert as early as next year.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Network doesn’t really interest me tbh and I heard you don’t even need to do it to get Security.

nikka how TF you gonna understand security if you don’t know Network? People like you get these Certs and you get on the job and don’t know shyt. I see it time and time again...y’all are devaluing Certs. This dude had a CCNA verified online I told this muhfukka to draw a switch and demonstrate how it works...he had no clue. Freaking joke!

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Son_Of_God said:
Network doesn’t really interest me tbh and I heard you don’t even need to do it to get Security.

Then you won't be able to effectively troubleshoot issues that arise without depending on someone who DOES have networking, thus, you are limited to being a subordinate instead of a supervisor.

I don't know of any security system that ISN'T network dependent, but that isn't my primary field.

I'll leave the critiques to those who are more qualified to talk about it.​

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Then you won't be able to effectively troubleshoot issues that arise without depending on someone who DOES have networking, thus, you are limited to being a subordinate instead of a supervisor.

I don't know of any security system that ISN'T network dependent, but that isn't my primary field.

I'll leave the critiques to those who are more qualified to talk about it.​

Just imagine trying to troubleshoot let’s say a DDOS or something like that with ZERO understanding of WAN concepts and technologies? You wouldn’t have a freaking clue what to do. shyt is embarrassing....

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
nikka how TF you gonna understand security if you don’t know Network? People like you get these Certs and you get on the job and don’t know shyt. I see it time and time again...y’all are devaluing Certs. This dude had a CCNA verified online I told this muhfukka to draw a switch and demonstrate how it works...he had no clue. Freaking joke!

Y’all nikkas on here always gotta act all emotional like women and pick a fight over a simple innocent question. I’m fairly new to IT and a few people I know that work in the field told me that I didn’t need a Network to get security but from what you told me they’re obviously wrong. I will admit I don’t know that much about this field yet but I am willing to learn and correct any mistakes I make.

BVII

Pro
Daps
To be honest, you don't need to have much networking knowledge to work in security. Security is a broad term, and there are multiple categories/areas of security. Some areas require deep networking knowledge, while some may require little to none.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Y’all nikkas on here always gotta act all emotional like women and pick a fight over a simple innocent question. I’m fairly new to IT and a few people I know that work in the field told me that I didn’t need a Network to get security but from what you told me they’re obviously wrong. I will admit I don’t know that much about this field yet but I am willing to learn and correct any mistakes I make.

No one is acting emotional and I didn't even say anything slick to you. I just said "HTF you gonna understand security if you don't know network?"...that ain't emotional, it's a simple question. nikkas is actually doing you a favor in here by hipping you to the game and seeing where you mind is rather than let you flounder. I hope you take the guidance in here and learn Network and the OSI model before you try to dip your foot into Security. You tryna learn how to drift before you learn how to drive a car.

Child_Of_God

Love is a long road.
Daps
Reppin
Washington D.C.
No one is acting emotional and I didn't even say anything slick to you. I just said "HTF you gonna understand security if you don't know network?"...that ain't emotional, it's a simple question. nikkas is actually doing you a favor in here by hipping you to the game and seeing where you mind is rather than let you flounder. I hope you take the guidance in here and learn Network and the OSI model before you try to dip your foot into Security. You tryna learn how to drift before you learn how to drive a car.

Alright my bad man. What you just said made sense. I have no problem with getting network first then.

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No. Get the sec plus cert than get the network one. At the end of the day get the big three.. Then find a focus afterwards to go into.