Do I need experience to pass the Comptia Sec + exam?

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
I passed the SEC+ last month. Dont listen to these nikkas about needing to take the Net+ beforehand. Alot of coli ITnikkas brag and wanna sound smarter than they are. You learn more on the job and with exp. And if you just starting and interested in Security go wit the sec+ then cysa ceh etc..:stopitslime:

I needed the SEC+ since im a contractor and TBH. This 23 yr old woman who got a job wit us who doesnt even know the diff between SSDs and spinning drives passes her exam last week on her first try:russ:

But im not gonna lie the trouble I had wit the exam was WPA types, EAP types and PKI. All which you can get additional help with without taking the net+

Theres nikkas on out server amd transport team with CEHs and dont even know how to install programs correctly:what:

We ain’t bragging...we trying to help OP be the best he can be by recommending the path that helps him understand the totality of the environment he is stepping into. You are advocating shortcuts and I worked with too many who have not have previous experience, did cert cramming, and had a mouthpiece so they talked their way into a job they didn’t understand. The real question is, are you studying to get a cert or studying to be competent in the field which results in a cert? We are advocating the latter...you are advocating the former.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
You will need to know networking to be decent at security
Basically this

I wouldn’t skip anything to Sec+ until you actually understand how Networks work.

A+ is definitely skipable if have a background fixing cpu’s or doing help desk. I had my A+ in highschool and had training in the military, ccna bootcamps, a Microsoft Networking cert, etc., before I skipped Net+ and went straight to Sec+. Now I’m going back to get Net+ just because it’s free for me and a good refresher

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I took and passed my A+ exam yesterday. I studied for about a month and gotten a pretty good score on it so I’m very proud of that.

I’ve decided to skip getting Network + and go straight to getting security + because I’ve always been interested in that field but from what I been told I need at least a few years of experience as a IT administrator to pass it.

I was wondering if anyone on here have been able to pass it without much experience at all. I would really just rather get the cert as early as next year.
Experience, or an incredible memory. But, everyone is right, don't skip Network+. It's not that hard, and they all build on each other.

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Well this thread is useful. A lot of you guys specialize in CybSec. I'm looking to get my Network+ in September.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I took and passed my A+ exam yesterday. I studied for about a month and gotten a pretty good score on it so I’m very proud of that.

I’ve decided to skip getting Network + and go straight to getting security + because I’ve always been interested in that field but from what I been told I need at least a few years of experience as a IT administrator to pass it.

I was wondering if anyone on here have been able to pass it without much experience at all. I would really just rather get the cert as early as next year.
essentially you need both a network and security to full compliment each other, learning security without networking is too niche as most issues that accompany security will start or be a part of networking. But to answer you question you don't necessarily need experience to start either, it's essentially how well you can teach yourself or learn in a classroom environment.

All Star
Daps
You don't need experience to pass the Sec+.

I'd say leverage your A+ into an entry level job ASAP, and just study for the Network+. Get a good grasp of the objectives, and lab as much as you can. Only sit for the Net+ if it's going to get you a job. Otherwise, move onto the Sec+.

There's a lot of overlap between the two tests.