Do I need experience to pass the Comptia Sec + exam?

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
They’re a good start don’t hate.
I feel like they've been devalued to nothing in the last decade.

Especially the A+.:mjlol:

The structure is primed for cramming and just memorizing the test material.

From a more practical standpoint people tend to specialize early and almost all of these certs require having an understanding of the core fundamentals from the CompTIA certs.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
I feel like they've been devalued to nothing in the last decade.

Especially the A+.:mjlol:

The structure is primed for cramming and just memorizing the test material.

From a more practical standpoint people tend to specialize early and almost all of these certs require having an understanding of the core fundamentals from the CompTIA certs.

I agree with this and it’s a problem industry wide. CompTIA has been trying to address it by making the test more difficult but all it has done IMO has turned people off because they’d rather go the Cisco route which as we know has more clout and is much harder to cram.

What's a good cert to get then ?

Depends on what you wanna do...it’s broad a question. If you wanted to work in the WAN it would absolutely be MEF CECP and MEF SDN in addition to Juniper or Cisco Certs depending on where you wanted to land. On the LAN side it’s clearly Cisco first and foremost for networking and it splinters of in a million different directions from there.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I’ve always been interested in cyber security.
Then the sec+ is a natural st rting point since there really aren't many alternatives.

@Deuterion can give his thoughts, but you should probably familiairize yourself with also understanding basic routing and firewalls.

Learn to read a fiddler, understand tokens, refresh tokens etc, and set yourself up a lab where you cna practice this.

Job wise unless you're in school and getting an internship or something like the Mach program look for a small business with 100-200 employees, get in good with your boss, ask one of the seniors to mentor you and get the production experience.

Then apply for another roles.

Also see if they'll pay for additional certs and if you get a bonus for passing them.

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
Y’all nikkas on here always gotta act all emotional like women and pick a fight over a simple innocent question. I’m fairly new to IT and a few people I know that work in the field told me that I didn’t need a Network to get security but from what you told me they’re obviously wrong. I will admit I don’t know that much about this field yet but I am willing to learn and correct any mistakes I make.

You should rather them tell you the truth than to lie to you to preserve your feelings

be glad they're not feeding you bullshyt, at least you know what you have to do next

:smugdraper:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Then the sec+ is a natural st rting point since there really aren't many alternatives.

@Deuterion can give his thoughts, but you should probably familiairize yourself with also understanding basic routing and firewalls.

Learn to read a fiddler, understand tokens, refresh tokens etc, and set yourself up a lab where you cna practice this.

Job wise unless you're in school and getting an internship or something like the Mach program look for a small business with 100-200 employees, get in good with your boss, ask one of the seniors to mentor you and get the production experience.

Then apply for another roles.

Also see if they'll pay for additional certs and if you get a bonus for passing them.

I’ve always been interested in cyber security.

@Call Me James gave you some solid advice. As he stated, familiarize yourself with Routing and Firewalls...all this applies to the OSI Model as we talk about before. Everyone has their opinion but I feel that if you want to get into Networking you should be comfortable with:

Layer 1: Cabling, Adapters, Electrical vs. Optical
Layer 2: Switching, Switches, MAC Addressing, MAC Flooding, L2 Control Protocols
Layer 3: Routing, Routers, IP Addressing, Convergence, L3 Routing Protocols

Understanding what a network is and isn't is tantamount and makes it easier to understand all the different protocols and technologies created to enhance efficiency and security as the size of the network grows. For instance, it's hard to understand MPLS as a technology if all you know is basic LAN Management but when you start dealing with Metro Area and Wide Area networks that transport loads of traffic it makes it very clear why a technology like MPLS was needed and how it minimized resource utilization.

This may not 100% apply to Sec+ at all times but how can you really secure some shyt you don't understand?

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
I just got some Sec+ and CySa+ (I think that’s what it’s called) material from a contact in this cyber security group I joined. Hoping to get cracking on it. I was told if you crack down on studying for 3 or so months you should be good.

Would it be wise to get the Sec+ and then embark on network before the CySa+? I’m looking to get at least two by the end of the year and hopefully get an entry level job before I apply for a masters in comp sci next year @Deuterion