Do Wrestling Fans Who Missed Bryan's Rise Understand Why He's Popular?

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
I was talking to a few friends who for the most part started watching wrestling again last year or when The Rock returned. Now I couldn't help but notice that during the conversation they didn't really understand why Daniel Bryan was popular besides him being an underdog. They even thought him beating a rusty Triple H was unrealistic.

Then it hit me that most people that didn't follow him on the indies or even his rise on Smackdown don't understand. I'm probably wrong and this is just the case of having casual fans as friends but I wanted see what TSC thought on the matter.

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
Its part his chant was infectious
Part of the work snd underdog status in wwe
It was a part of his work rate before he became wwe champion and his hilarious comedy roles as the vegan whc and tag champ with kane

His indie work is part as well but the other examples above are why he crossed over

He needs a radical change now though. Hes gonna get a wwe world title shot in the summer more than likely but after that he needs to evovle or devovle because i know yall cant fathom it but the flying goat yes yes yes kid is gonna become stale soon

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Well, yeah.

He has a very hardcore and vocal base of fans that followed him in the indys that's very insecure about his position in the company. Bryan is always treated like a martyr no matter what. So they try their best to avoid bad situations for him that they see as inevitable, that's why they cheer for dude so hard and so much.

But Bryan did get a broader fan appeal when he started teaming with Kane. It was that time were he really stopped being "smark exclusive" and every fan started liking him. From then on casuals were more into him and rode the wave the hardcores had been riding before.

Thing is, the people who started cheering for him during that time don't have the attachment the hardcores have with D-Bry. So when people keep complaining about his position in the company (even though not even DB sees it as such a big deal) it's natural they don't understand what's all the fuzz about him.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Its part his chant was infectious
Part of the work snd underdog status in wwe
It was a part of his work rate before he became wwe champion and his hilarious comedy roles as the vegan whc and tag champ with kane

His indie work is part as well but the other examples above are why he crossed over

He needs a radical change now though. Hes gonna get a wwe world title shot in the summer more than likely but after that he needs to evovle or devovle because i know yall cant fathom it but the flying goat yes yes yes kid is gonna become stale soon

I think it already is stale. But WWE and DB wont change it until it's undeniable stale and people just don't give a fukk about him anymore. It's what it is :manny:

I don't think he'll get a WWE Title reign so soon though. I don't think he gets it before WM 32 season is over. But yeah, he'll get it back eventually unless something terrible happens to his body.

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
I think it already is stale. But WWE and DB wont change it until it's undeniable stale and people just don't give a fukk about him anymore. It's what it is :manny:

I don't think he'll get a WWE Title reign so soon though. I don't think he gets it before WM 32 season is over. But yeah, he'll get it back eventually unless something terrible happens to his body.
Nah no reign. He will get a title shot this summer unless he leaves ic champ. Id rather he does as they said and have the ic and us title become prominent because i5 gives him more leeway to experiment with characters and gimmicks like he used to do on smaxkdown when he was the vegan world champion. Even tho he was pretty much just cm punk straight edge redux. Dude is a walking beard vs hair gimmick away from skme interesting feuds

I would have corprate kane become smackdown gm where the ic title is rhe main belt while brock hibernates. Daniel defends his belt agaibst oncomers while kane goes michael from the office level corporate. Complaining about the shag on his face but ignoring harper and rowan facial hair because of some faux monsters bond or whatever plot device

Have bryan face like the new day in a fatal fourway where the loser pinned is forced to shave and have him pin woods

Or whayever...

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Well, yeah.

He has a very hardcore and vocal base of fans that followed him in the indys that's very insecure about his position in the company. Bryan is always treated like a martyr no matter what. So they try their best to avoid bad situations for him that they see as inevitable, that's why they cheer for dude so hard and so much.

But Bryan did get a broader fan appeal when he started teaming with Kane. It was that time were he really stopped being "smark exclusive" and every fan started liking him. From then on casuals were more into him and rode the wave the hardcores had been riding before.

Thing is, the people who started cheering for him during that time don't have the attachment the hardcores have with D-Bry. So when people keep complaining about his position in the company (even though not even DB sees it as such a big deal) it's natural they don't understand what's all the fuzz about him.

Yup...

Connor started liking Bryan around that time his dad said...he was still a heel.

:wow:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Bryan was more over than anyone knew heading into WM 28..him carrying Smackdown as the slick heel worked big time with smark fans. After WM 28, when everyone saw him being built up to give Sheamus YET another super, boring push, crowd rebelled the night after. He was treated like a god that night. Ever since, one way or another, he's always been a force of nature with the fans. This was before Kane and during the Punk feud...Punk was the guy who everyone acted like he was Stone Cold part 2...he could do no wrong but the fans started cheering for Bryan in those promos and by Over the Limit 2012, the males fans were pro Bryan in the match while the women and kids cheered Punk. The Kane stuff put it way over the top as the face turn wasn't held back anymore.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Bryan was more over than anyone knew heading into WM 28..him carrying Smackdown as the slick heel worked big time with smark fans. After WM 28, when everyone saw him being built up to give Sheamus YET another super, boring push, crowd rebelled the night after. He was treated like a god that night. Ever since, one way or another, he's always been a force of nature with the fans. This was before Kane and during the Punk feud...Punk was the guy who everyone acted like he was Stone Cold part 2...he could do no wrong but the fans started cheering for Bryan in those promos and by Over the Limit 2012, the males fans were pro Bryan in the match while the women and kids cheered Punk. The Kane stuff put it way over the top as the face turn wasn't held back anymore.

so punk was the bigger star is what you're saying... :patrice:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Without question back then..Punk was pushed like a god...went over the entire roster. Barely lost..if ever. He was in a protected spot.

oh my bad i thought you were inferring that bryan was bigger somehow. i misunderstood.

but since we're on the topic i am curious to hear your opinion... in the end why don't you think cm punk was able to take john cena's spot? how much blame do you place on the company and how much blame do you place on cm punk?

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
oh my bad i thought you were inferring that bryan was bigger somehow. i misunderstood.

but since we're on the topic i am curious to hear your opinion... in the end why don't you think cm punk was able to take john cena's spot? how much blame do you place on the company and how much blame do you place on cm punk?
Excellent question but the answer u get will be spinnirific

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ

You can probably thank Dwayne for that. He chose to have a three year program with Cena, which effectively took away Punk's only goal... to main event WrestleMania.

WM 27 to 29 were Punk's best chances and once he saw the writing on the wall with Batista vs Orton he knew his chances were through. Especially when he knew they wanted to push Reigns as far back as TLC 2013.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

Punk was given alot..he nailed a money promo to start him up. He was rolling..but they fukk3d up. He was brought back 2 weeks after he won...all that build..all that shyt he talked..he came back after two weeks. He blurred reality with his pipe bomb rant and then it turned into just another main event with Cena by Summerslam. Brought his whole value down..then he let Cripple H return and go over him out of the blue while he did comedy promos talking about him and Stephanie..who wears the pants in the relationship? All of that kind of shyt...good for a pop but made no money. Then he let Nash powerbomb him over and over again while he did comedy promos on him being old and about being dead. He lost track of his own way...the insider talk kept him over but it didn't make him the Steve Austin 2.0 era starter he imagined himself to be. So in the end, he ended up a loser. Whiny, crying, and didn't even know when to quit. He didn't want to really stick around in 2013 but he thought doing things a certain way would get him to a main event at Mania. He doesn't get it..Cripple H would never promote him to be better than him in history. He didn't see that context..never understood that. That was his undoing....letting them convince him Cena headlines while he's champion. He should of never stood for that. Alot of big talk but when his money got great, he fell off and lost track of what mattered.

That's why Phillip Brooks sees himself as a failure today when it comes to the wrestling business.