Do Wrestling Fans Who Missed Bryan's Rise Understand Why He's Popular?

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
my boys dad is an amputee in a wheelchair and thinks he can take Daniel Bryan lol

the avg fan just doenst believe it unless they see his actual work out there

i always felt like that about CM Punk...i always saw his wack matches or moments and thought he was a trash ass short order cook

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
my boys dad is an amputee in a wheelchair and thinks he can take Daniel Bryan lol

the avg fan just doenst believe it unless they see his actual work out there

i always felt like that about CM Punk...i always saw his wack matches or moments and thought he was a trash ass short order cook
Because hes smaller than him? Thats stupid. Does he think he can beat up Frankie Edgar too? :beli:

Truth200

Banned
Daps
Then it hit me that most people that didn't follow him on the indies or even his rise on Smackdown don't understand. I'm probably wrong and this is just the case of having casual fans as friends but I wanted see what TSC thought on the matter.

No you're right, i just started watching Wrestling again after 12 years and have no idea how he got so popular.

Truth200

Banned
Daps
this is an excellent question.

speaking for me only, if i were a new fan, or a returning fan... i don't think i would understand the hype for daniel bryan myself. i would probably just assume he's the loveable underdog.

Haven't watched wrestling since 2002 and i'm shocked how popular he is.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
No you're right, i just started watching Wrestling again after 12 years and have no idea how he got so popular.

Dude put on classic matches throughout the indies and overseas for about 10 years so he pretty much had a huge buzz with all the hardcore fans. Then they had him lose to Sheamus in 18 seconds at WrestleMania 28 after an entertaining reign. From that moment the fans rebelled and everyone else just followed along. That's the cliff notes of his popularity.

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Without the Yes Chant there is no Wrestlemania 30 moment for Bryan. The yes chant has done more for Byran then any chant in history for any other wrestler. Now Punk is a different story they 100% dropped the ball on Punk as it could've started a mini boom period for wrestling.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Without the Yes Chant there is no Wrestlemania 30 moment for Bryan. The yes chant has done more for Byran then any chant in history for any other wrestler. Now Punk is a different story they 100% dropped the ball on Punk as it could've started a mini boom period for wrestling.

There was a period where he was a heel and they had him out there chanting "No" but the crowd wouldn't budge.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Punk benefitted from being able to cut shoot promos far more than Bryan benefitted from the chant. People were still chanting Daniel Bryan and paying to see him wrestle.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Bryan's over because he knows how to gets over. Sounds stupid but new people coming in would just need to watch a few weeks and they'd see it too.

This.

Sometimes, people seem to act like he's some uncharismatic nobody that only got over because of a fluke WM fukk-up or something, when that absolutely isn't the case. Yes, he has the chant and the circumstances, but if the ability weren't there from the get go, he wouldn't have even gotten to that point. People forget that this guy has gotten over everywhere he's gone, and not merely because he's an all-time great worker. He can absolutely sell an angle as well.

On a larger note, though, the question shouldn't necessarily be "why is he popular," at least for us who follow the programs (if he were in a featured program, I believe that his popularity would be easier to explain to casual types. He isn't, so it's harder when he only comes out to look like a nobody in a program with 6 other nobodies). The question should be: "why was it THIS guy and that CM Punk guy that got SO popular with the fanbase?" It's an important question, one that I believe goes beyond mere wrestling tropes and gets into the realm of how wrestling plays off of, for lack of a better word, generational attitudes. The same play of generational attitudes that determined the massive popularity of guys like Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

The answer to that question would also explain why certain people, up to and including Vince McMahon, don't necessarily see guys like Bryan or Punk as their number one guy.

Just a thought.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
This.

Sometimes, people seem to act like he's some uncharismatic nobody that only got over because of a fluke WM fukk-up or something, when that absolutely isn't the case. Yes, he has the chant and the circumstances, but if the ability weren't there from the get go, he wouldn't have even gotten to that point. People forget that this guy has gotten over everywhere he's gone, and not merely because he's an all-time great worker. He can absolutely sell an angle as well.

On a larger note, though, the question shouldn't necessarily be "why is he popular," at least for us who follow the programs (if he were in a featured program, I believe that his popularity would be easier to explain to casual types. He isn't, so it's harder when he only comes out to look like a nobody in a program with 6 other nobodies). The question should be: "why was it THIS guy and that CM Punk guy that got SO popular with the fanbase?" It's an important question, one that I believe goes beyond mere wrestling tropes and gets into the realm of how wrestling plays off of, for lack of a better word, generational attitudes. The same play of generational attitudes that determined the massive popularity of guys like Gorgeous George, Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

The answer to that question would also explain why certain people, up to and including Vince McMahon, don't necessarily see guys like Bryan or Punk as their number one guy.

Just a thought.

:wow:

The kind of vision no one has anymore because laziness has taken over management like never before.

Closest thing is Hunter going :ohhh: and incorporating it to NXT.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

What boom? He never moved ratings ..at all.

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Punk had buzz after he won the strap at money in the bank but they had him on two weeks after killing all the buzz he had. If it was booked properly with Punk it would've started a mini boom like I said. Punk at the moment was more over then Bryan was at WM 30