Do Wrestling Fans Who Missed Bryan's Rise Understand Why He's Popular?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Punk had buzz after he won the strap at money in the bank but they had him on two weeks after killing all the buzz he had. If it was booked properly with Punk it would've started a mini boom like I said. Punk at the moment was more over then Bryan was at WM 30
I don't think either Punk or Bryan can bring in a boom period. That's not the point. The point is both guys were crazy over but weren't given the right support to take advantage of it.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Punk had buzz after he won the strap at money in the bank but they had him on two weeks after killing all the buzz he had. If it was booked properly with Punk it would've started a mini boom like I said. Punk at the moment was more over then Bryan was at WM 30
Punk was never as over as Bryan.. Especially not then. Ratings were abysmal during the Summer of Punk.

As for booking, Punk should have went over HHH but it never would have made a difference because Punk's character was too limited. His whole character was predicated on being the guy that cuts shoot promos. There's no shelf life in that.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Punk was never as over as Bryan.. Especially not then. Ratings were abysmal during the Summer of Punk.

As for booking, Punk should have went over HHH but it never would have made a difference because Punk's character was too limited. His whole character was predicated on being the guy that cuts shoot promos. There's no shelf life in that.

Bryan's whole character is predicated on-...oh I'm sorry he doesn't have a character.

he has a chant.

what's more limited than that.

RedRocks

Rookie
Daps
I stopped watching wrestling when punk joined nexus and started again wrestlemaniaish last year. It made sense why hes popular, dude looks like a goat and is the ultimate underdog. Makes it easy to cheer for him.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I don't think either Punk or Bryan can bring in a boom period. That's not the point. The point is both guys were crazy over but weren't given the right support to take advantage of it.

Bryan never had a chance to see what he would bring to the table after Mania XXX. Punk was pushed for two years with a ridiculous long title reign that didn't change shyt.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Bryan's whole character is predicated on-...oh I'm sorry he doesn't have a character.

he has a chant.

what's more limited than that.
I don't think you watched Bryan's career in the WWE. He's had more character evolution than anyone on the roster.. In the last three years he went from being the Douchebag boyfriend with AJ, to the delusional arrogant world champ on Smackdown, to the comedic tag team with Kane, to the short angry guy with the Napoleon complex, to the face against the authority. His character became limited last year because all top babyfaces characters become limited in this day and age. Cena is the perfect example of that.

Anyways, what was Ultimate Warrior's character? The steroid guy with face paint that cut nonsensical promos? It's not like his character was any deep.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Yeah angry troll No No No Bryan was the shyts

And he got that American Dragon pedigree.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was talking to a few friends who for the most part started watching wrestling again last year or when The Rock returned. Now I couldn't help but notice that during the conversation they didn't really understand why Daniel Bryan was popular besides him being an underdog. They even thought him beating a rusty Triple H was unrealistic.

Then it hit me that most people that didn't follow him on the indies or even his rise on Smackdown don't understand. I'm probably wrong and this is just the case of having casual fans as friends but I wanted see what TSC thought on the matter.
Yeah I don't get it. I find his yes chant annoying and his promos suck but he is a good wrestler and I like that he was using the crippled cross face.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't think you watched Bryan's career in the WWE. He's had more character evolution than anyone on the roster.. In the last three years he went from being the Douchebag boyfriend with AJ, to the delusional arrogant world champ on Smackdown, to the comedic tag team with Kane, to the short angry guy with the Napoleon complex, to the face against the authority. His character became limited last year because all top babyfaces characters become limited in this day and age. Cena is the perfect example of that.

Anyways, what was Ultimate Warrior's character? The steroid guy with face paint that cut nonsensical promos? It's not like his character was any deep.

how can you say that ultimate warrior was not a fully realized character? that character was mapped out from top to bottom!

every bit of the presentation told you something about the character from the theme music all the way down to the promos. he was the ultimate warrior, the ultimate competitor. he had a maniacal drive and a deranged obsession with being the best wrestler in the WWF. he thrived on overcoming obstacles and meeting every challenge. when there was a fight he ran to the ring full speed ahead. wrestling wasn't just something he did, it was his way of life. it was something spiritual to him. he would constantly talk about the sacrifices, the training, and his unholy desire to succeed at everything he did. he was the most intense wrestler that ever stepped foot from behind the curtain.

^^ notice i was able to tell you all that about the character without even once referencing the way he looked.

you describe daniel bryan as "the face against the authority".... okay, describe him to me then. describe daniel bryan's current character and tell me what makes him a distinct personality aside from the yes chant and the beard.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
how can you say that ultimate warrior was not a fully realized character? that character was mapped out from top to bottom!

every bit of the presentation told you something about the character from the theme music all the way down to the promos. he was the ultimate warrior, the ultimate competitor. he had a maniacal drive and a deranged obsession with being the best wrestler in the WWF. he thrived on overcoming obstacles and meeting every challenge. when there was a fight he ran to the ring full speed ahead. wrestling wasn't just something he did, it was his way of life. it was something spiritual to him. he would constantly talk about the sacrifices, the training, and his unholy desire to succeed at everything he did. he was the most intense wrestler that ever stepped foot from behind the curtain.

^^ notice i was able to tell you all that about the character without even once referencing the way he looked.

you describe daniel bryan as "the face against the authority".... okay, describe him to me then. describe daniel bryan's current character and tell me what makes him a distinct personality aside from the yes chant and the beard.

Bryan targets a predominantly blue-collar demographic and has become the embodiment of the working class that enjoys the wrestling product. If you follow his promos last year during the build to wrestlemania, you can see that his character was defined as a liberal, environmentalist, anti-capitalist and anti-corporation. He represents those that felt marginalized by society.They didn't play it up too much but Bryan did in his promos. It's evident in the Occupy Raw segment and this promo he cut last year:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
All by all that means his current character has run its course if he can't captivate 'newcomers' the same way as he does the fans who did witness his rise. Which is understandable since his popularity peaked at WM30 and there's not much else they can do about that. It's kinda hard to remain an underdog when you made it to the largest stage and won.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Bryan targets a predominantly blue-collar demographic and has become the embodiment of the working class that enjoys the wrestling product. If you follow his promos last year during the build to wrestlemania, you can see that his character was defined as a liberal, environmentalist, anti-capitalist and anti-corporation. He represents those that felt marginalized by society.They didn't play it up too much but Bryan did in his promos. It's evident in the Occupy Raw segment and this promo he cut last year:

Okay but what about when he's NOT up against some authority figure or some corporate stable holding him back? then what? What does the character stand for when he's not being screwed over by the man? can he only assume the role of the underdog?

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
Okay but what about when he's NOT up against some authority figure or some corporate stable holding him back? then what? What does the character stand for when he's not being screwed over by the man? can he only assume the role of the underdog?
This
Hes not facing the authority or overcoming a greater evil this time and his character isbstale

He is overdue for aj evolution of character

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Well this is the first time he's been in that role as a main eventer. Before the Authority he was doing the mid-card stuff with Kane. I guess we have to wait and see what's next for his character but I do agree that he is limited now. His character needs purpose and that'll only happen with a heel turn.