Do you think we owe George Lucas an apology?

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
George is a visionary genius.

Creative characters, creative worlds, concepts, stories, etc. Beautifully shot sequences and set locations. George was that cat.

People like that don't come along every day.

His flaw was dialogue. And sometimes fleshing out his great ideas on screen. And George the businessman with merchandising got ahead of George the writer when it came to his stories at times. :manny:

All in all, George was a good dude. He grew bitter from some of the critique of his prequels. This was his baby, so he took it to heart. He was old and it was time to cash out. He had enough.

I think that is why JJ played it so safe with TFA and ROS. If George wasn't safe, then nobody is safe if you don't come correct. JJ didn't take any chances, and was just going to placate the fanbase with rehashes. Rian Johnson was oblivious to this, and he got that work for TLJ. :huhldup:

George,a creative talent, gave the keys to a non-creative, executive in Kathleen Kennedy. That wasn't going to work. Business and creative sensibilities are often like oil and water.

Kathleen Kennedy is all business. She thinks like a major studio executive, and it shows. Knows nothing about creativity. That is why the new Trilogy is all over the place.

Rogue One was fire though. :wow:
George may be a good dude, but he's an ok director and mediocre write. His strength is in the editing room. With that being said he had a lot of help around him during his earlier movies.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Nah he isn't owed an apology. He was lazy as hell in making his own movies, bad green screen everywhere and didn't give a fukk at all about even directing his own actors.

He still gets props for creating all this though, his impact is undeniable even with all the wrong turns.

He's not lazy. He puts his blood, sweat and tears into it. He cares about it the acting, he just doesn't know how to direct. It's been said time and time again from multiple actors that he doesn't understand why what he writes on the page doesn't convey on screen, or the actors can't convey his words. he may be on the spectrum, but he's definitely an creative introvert.

I think he's a good writer, that doesn't have a feel for dialog, more specifically a variety of dialog. If he could write only thoughts or narration, he'd excel. But the same can be said for Sorkin. But I also think he's a visionary, that sees too far ahead of what's present, and that's why he OD's with the green screen.

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
RotS was the best prequel. The first two should have been more fleshed out. The execution wasn't good considering how much time you have to tell your story in a movie. The Clone Wars series (Lucas' brainchild) is everything the prequels should have been (the discovery of Anakin, Palpatine's long game and the Republic ceding their power voluntarily).

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
He's not lazy. He puts his blood, sweat and tears into it. He cares about it the acting, he just doesn't know how to direct. It's been said time and time again from multiple actors that he doesn't understand why what he writes on the page doesn't convey on screen, or the actors can't convey his words. he may be on the spectrum, but he's definitely an creative introvert.

I think he's a good writer, that doesn't have a feel for dialog, more specifically a variety of dialog. If he could write only thoughts or narration, he'd excel. But the same can be said for Sorkin. But I also think he's a visionary, that sees too far ahead of what's present, and that's why he OD's with the green screen.

I go back to what Terrence Stamp said:

We didn't get on at all. I didn't rate him that much as a director, really. I didn't feel like he was a director of actors; he was more interested in stuff and effects. He didn't interest me and I wouldn't think I interested him. I came all the way back from Australia to do it. I didn't want to but my agent leaned on me and I wanted to meet Natalie Portman because I'd seen her in The Professional. And I did meet her and she was absolutely enchanting. But on the day I'm supposed to do my scene with her, for which I'd traveled halfway around the world, I said, "Where's Natalie?" And George says, "That's Natalie," and points to a bit of paper on the wall. It was just boring.

Sounds kinda lazy IMO. You gotta give your actors something to work with lol.

I do agree he is a visionary though. You can't create something as iconic and unique as Star Wars and not be a visionary.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Explain how they didn't. The story of Anakin's descent and the relationship between him and Obi-Wan was great. Lucas was ambitious to give context to the original trilogy but it didn't come across as well as it should or could.
I don't know if was the acting or writing but I never felt a great relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan. Anakin's descent came across as hollow.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I was stanning for Lucas all along, people started hating on the prequels like it was a meme wtithout much thought. I'm stealing a quote from another poster but a lot of it was because people didn't bother reading the scroller at the beginning of TPM. I used to ask haters back in teh day and they simply weren't following the back story. Like all the people shocked that the Palpatine was the Emperor :dahell:

Plus, the prequels invigorated the franchise. Whole new fan base and whole new storylines. The Disney movies have almost killed the brand. shyt the only positive energy Disney has created is Baby Yoda and the last 20 minutes of Rogue One.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Of course. He was the glue that made Star Wars stick. He prefers to putting together the lore/plot and pushing forward with special effects and sound.
He stated himself he isn't much of a director and writer but no one wanted to help him when he made the prequels.
The Clone Wars series is what you get when he gets his way

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
I was stanning for Lucas all along, people started hating on the prequels like it was a meme wtithout much thought. I'm stealing a quote from another poster but a lot of it was because people didn't bother reading the scroller at the beginning of TPM. I used to ask haters back in teh day and they simply weren't following the back story. Like all the people shocked that the Palpatine was the Emperor :dahell:

Plus, the prequels invigorated the franchise. Whole new fan base and whole new storylines. The Disney movies have almost killed the brand. shyt the only positive energy Disney has created is Baby Yoda and the last 20 minutes of Rogue One.

People said the exact same shyt about the prequels. Oh, the Prequels killed Star Wars... n1ggaz hated it so much they tried to say it wasnt canon

10 years later, sequel kids will grow up and try to shyt on the next Trilogy the same way

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
The prequel trilogy wasn't as bad as people claimed at the time. Hell even TPM was a decent set up to how the Republic out of fear willingly gave away freedom. Yeah Jar Jar should have never existed and some of the writing was shoddy. But at least it wasn't a giant retread. I'm still of the opinion that Anakin is the best character in the series and Hayden Christiansen isn't even a bad actor he's actually fairly good (See Shattered Glass).

What does the film room think?
I've been refusing to rewatch TPM, but maybe I'll give it another chance.
But I still think AotC and RotS are are easily better than the Eps 7, 8, 9.

He had a vision

They sequel's should had one writer
I think this is it. Lucas may not have been a GREAT artist, but to me he was an artist. The sequel trilogy needed ONE strong person with vision controlling the whole thing. Abrams didn't even know Snoke was going to die before they made Last Jedi:dahell:

George Lucas sold his franchise....his baby...one of the most storied, if not the most storied Sci-Fi universe in the history of film because of his feelings being hurt over the reaction to the Prequels. George Lucas is a bytch. Some will say...”It was 4 Billion Dollars, Breh!” I get that....but he was already a billionaire before he sold it. He’s a whiny bytch that didn’t recognize the need to have someone else direct his film ideas...as he did with Empire (STILL the undisputed best of the series). I’m not apologizing for anything. This is his own fault.
I don't think he knew they would shut him out of influencing the new movies.
I read one site that claimed that they've realized they made a mistake and they're trying to get him back as an Executive Producer. I can't find the link at the moment, so I don't know if its credible.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I read one site that claimed that they've realized they made a mistake and they're trying to get him back as an Executive Producer. I can't find the link at the moment, so I don't know if its credible.

if he was really an a$$hole he should :pacspit: and be like :whoa: this is yo mess now

but I think he'd get back on board cause it's still his baby

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The prequels were trash.

And people need to stop acting like the OG trilogy was the brainchild of Lucas alone. A gang of ideas that created the foundation of the Star Wars universe, he had next to nothing to do with.

Fred.