Does Will Smith have a "classic" movie?

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Yeah man that was a huge miss on his part. But I've said before that I don't know if the movie would've worked with him at that time. He was stuck in Big Willie mode and always at a 10. That role needed someone who could dial back and not have all the answers or something smart to say. You needed someone who could look mystified at what was going on and figuring things out. I don't know if Will could've done that then

I dont think Will thought that it was going to be as big as it was and get as much love as it did....

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Yeah man that was a huge miss on his part. But I've said before that I don't know if the movie would've worked with him at that time. He was stuck in Big Willie mode and always at a 10. That role needed someone who could dial back and not have all the answers or something smart to say. You needed someone who could look mystified at what was going on and figuring things out. I don't know if Will could've done that then
:ohhh:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Yeah think about it. This would've been right after Men in Black where he had to play that role to a degree but he never looked like he didn't have a grasp on the situation or what he was seeing. I think he had one moment where he looked stun at what the hell just happened but he didn't play it long. Keanu may not be as good an actor as Will but he is a more giving actor and willing to play the background or put his ego aside and I don't think that was Will in 97-99. He'd knock it out of the park now but then? Nah. Keanu was the right man

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ali was a solid flick that could've been done MUCH better but it wasn't any fault of Will or his performance he was most the perfect Ali

Will went with Michael Mann over Spike. Asked Spike how he could expand his vision,

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Will went with Michael Mann over Spike. Asked Spike how he could expand his vision,

See thats the other thing about Will that irks me although I like most of his flicks: He always wants the director to bend to his vision as opposed to the other way around. He did it with Spike and he did it with Tarantino. Let your directors direct breh, trust them and you do your job

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Yeah think about it. This would've been right after Men in Black where he had to play that role to a degree but he never looked like he didn't have a grasp on the situation or what he was seeing. I think he had one moment where he looked stun at what the hell just happened but he didn't play it long. Keanu may not be as good an actor as Will but he is a more giving actor and willing to play the background or put his ego aside and I don't think that was Will in 97-99. He'd knock it out of the park now but then? Nah. Keanu was the right man
:sas1:you right:sas2:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See thats the other thing about Will that irks me although I like most of his flicks: He always wants the director to bend to his vision as opposed to the other way around. He did it with Spike and he did it with Tarantino. Let your directors direct breh, trust them and you do your job
Asking Spike how he could expand his vision was him asking if he could make the movie without making white people angry

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Asking Spike how he could expand his vision was like asking him if he could make the movie without making white people angry

Yeah man I don't get it. Well I do get it, it's ego and every actor has it, but Will needs to lean on someone else's understanding every now and then.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
He has a couple classic movies. I would put the top two as:
Bad Boys
Independence Day

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This. That scene where he walks out the office after getting the job is one of my favorite scenes.

Real talk if you want to talk about an actor emoting that sort of triumph and absolute joy after all the struggle and tribulation he went through look NO further than that one scene. That is by far my favorite scene that he's ever done. The movie itself silenced a lot of his critics who said he couldn't dial out of "Big Willie" mode but THAT scene should've shut up anybody who ever said he couldn't master the craft of acting. He sold that shyt 100%