DX12 adding 20% performance increase on PC, even more on Xbox One

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Why do they keep flip flopping on this answer? Which is it?

Yeah Phil Spencer said it wouldn't make a big difference but others say it will make a difference. I'm of the thought that it won't matter much. :lupe: underpromising and overdelivering?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
these numbers are just for one game (Caffeine)

there's definitely a lot of potential for increased performance. here's my results from the 3DMark benchmark:

sCtCEnA.png

if you don't know what you're looking at, it's 1.5 million draw calls per second with dx11, and 13.4 million draw calls per second with dx12. that's a pretty significant increase. a "draw call" is basically when the CPU is asking the GPU to do something

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Yeah Phil Spencer said it wouldn't make a big difference but others say it will make a difference. I'm of the thought that it won't matter much. :lupe: underpromising and overdelivering?

I think it is based by developer and Microsoft won't say it when the developer has to implement it.

Project Cars developers and a couple others mention the impact of direct 12 on Xbox.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
:gladbron:

So say I found an Xbox for cheap at a garage sale bundled with a couch, patio set or whatever...what effect does this have on my gaming experience as the end consumer :lupe:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

He never said it wouldn't make a big difference. He said it would be up to devs to make use of it correctly.

He was just correcting the false assumption that dx12 would be some switch that made the Xbox more powerful for all games. That's not the case.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
these numbers are just for one game (Caffeine)

there's definitely a lot of potential for increased performance. here's my results from the 3DMark benchmark:

sCtCEnA.png

if you don't know what you're looking at, it's 1.5 million draw calls per second with dx11, and 13.4 million draw calls per second with dx12. that's a pretty significant increase. a "draw call" is basically when the CPU is asking the GPU to do something
Consoles don't have an nvidia chip inside, nor do they have a discrete graphics card in there either ;)

It will be interesting to see, but I will be very surprised if it has a big impact on the xbox one. I am sure some developers will continue to find ways to squeeze the most out of the hardware, but that's usually a result of teams working on the system for years and finding ways around the bottlenecks.