Empire creator confirms show is based on jay z

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If you watch the Wire because the drug dealers were cool, Omar robbing folks, etc. Then yeah, I could see how some could say it's the same. But that's not the point of the Wire. If a person feels it was then they missed it. It's way deeper then that. What's deep about Empire? Accept for what I believe is the negative and that's getting rid of so called "homophobia" in the Black community.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you watch the Wire because the drug dealers were cool, Omar robbing folks, etc. Then yeah, I could see how some could say it's the same. But that's not the point of the Wire. If a person feels it was then they missed it. It's way deeper then that. What's deep about Empire? Accept for what I believe is the negative and that's getting rid of so called "homophobia" in the Black community.

The depth isn't the issue. The issue is that if someone wanted to make a moral judgement on Empire, using the same criteria, the same could be done to The Wire. The point of Empire isn't what people are making it out to be either.

You could say that The Wire attempted to get rid of homophobia in the Black community as well. There were several homosexual characters on The Wire as well.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
The Wire is whack AF. Season 2 almost caused me to slit my wrists - I never understood the hype. Only entertaining was when Marlo came into it. But overall shyt was butt butter B.

Empire's far more entertaining but it's still Jigaboo TV
:laff: I'm still struggling through it as a first time watcher. I knocked out season one with the quickness. Season 2 is only just starting to pick up cause I seen DeAndre & Avon. Otherwise I'd still be sleepin on it.

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The depth isn't the issue. The issue is that if someone wanted to make a moral judgement on Empire, using the same criteria, the same could be done to The Wire. The point of Empire isn't what people are making it out to be either.

You could say that The Wire attempted to get rid of homophobia in the Black community as well. There were several homosexual characters on The Wire as well.
Correct about the promoting homosexuality in the Wire. Yes, you could use the same criteria about moral judgements on both. But at the same time, you can argue that the Wire had a balance of characters. You had people who did negative but also people who did positive for B-More. Who tried to change things. You had a show that did social commentary and tried to expose things so change could be made. In all different areas. Again, I'm not denying you didn't have negative stereotypes. You say the point of Empire isn't what people make it out to be. In your view, what's the point of Empire?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Correct about the promoting homosexuality in the Wire. Yes, you could use the same criteria about moral judgements on both. But at the same time, you can argue that the Wire had a balance of characters. You had people who did negative but also people who did positive for B-More. Who tried to change things. You had a show that did social commentary and tried to expose things so change could be made. In all different areas. Again, I'm not denying you didn't have negative stereotypes. You say the point of Empire isn't what people make it out to be. In your view, what's the point of Empire?

The point of Empire is to show the inner workings of the music industry. The backstabbing, how artists are pitted against each other (even if they are family), the politics, and cheating are all aspects that the show attempts to showcase.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
You've gotta understand the creative writing process to understand how a show that appears to have no parallels to someones actual life could still be based on them. A lot of stuff is changed to protect people from incrimination, lawsuits, embarrassment, etc. Other stuff is changed to give it that Hollywood vibe and make it more sensational. Same way The Flintstones was based on The Honeymooners but from the naked eye the two shows have nothing to do with one another.

1. Combine Biggs/Emory (and a couple other people) into a character named 'Cookie' and it opens up layers, but at the end of the day, that character is still a money front and someone that did time on your behalf
  2. Creating 'Cookie' also allows you to further develop story lines that are now based on their kids instead of artists of no relation
  3. Hakeem clearly was inspired by Bleek, the heir apparent who everyone feels gets more play than what his moderate talent would afford him. There's also some traces of Kanye and Dame.
  4. Jamal comes off to me as a cross between Ne-Yo, Budden and J Cole, but more Budden in that he's the closest to matching the actual talent level of Jay, but for some reason doesn't get his opportunity.
  5. Andre strikes me as part OG Juan, part Ty Ty with a little Dame sprinkled in for entertainment value
  6. Tiana = Teairra Marie/Rihanna
The trick is to sprinkle the major players into each of the shows characters that way it never becomes obvious or predictable. And truth be told, they could have based this show off Puff, 50 or anybody and the story line would have probably still been the same.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
ohhh now ppl wanna ride with(as some would call him) "camel"

:troll:

funny that:sas2:

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
I knew it I fukking knew it, I been telling people Fox is making a mockery of black people and hip hop with that show. Even worse the white dude created it. I thought at the very least a black chick came up with this shyt, I knew full Damn well a brother didn't create this, it did not appear to come from a black man, we don't write like that. The show is sohh unrealistic and now we know why:scust:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
The Wire is whack AF. Season 2 almost caused me to slit my wrists - I never understood the hype. Only entertaining was when Marlo came into it. But overall shyt was butt butter B.

Empire's far more entertaining but it's still Jigaboo TV
:dead: The Wire is wack? And Michael Jackson was one of the weakest performers of all time.

Season 2 is relatively speaking pretty wack, still a dope season if we compare it to other seasons of random series.
The 2nd season is fantastic from a macro perspective, it connects the supply, shows how white working class and international figures are involved, how post industrialism affected the community, how a crew evolves when their boss gets knocked and on.

The series is about building a full circle, how everything affects everything and leaving out Season 2 we wouldn't have a full circle.

Don't compare this to the greatness of The Wire.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
:what: wait, so this show creator is a "CaC" because he created a show loosely based on Jay-Z?
:leostare: but no one calling "Q", VH1, or all them idiots on shows like "Love and Hip Hop" or "Black Ink" self-hating blacks when they portray themselves or their people as idiots?

Will the race-bait racist coli users ever take their heads out their asses? :sas2:
will Vegeta ever truly die? :lupe:
We find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

:camby: foh with that dumb shyt, he's as much an issue to the Black community's image as those "reality tv" stars on VH1 and them idiots on WSHH.
*well prepared to receive neg-rep points
*if you neg-rep me, suck a dikk.

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
:what: wait, so this show creator is a "CaC" because he created a show loosely based on Jay-Z?
:leostare: but no one calling "Q", VH1, or all them idiots on shows like "Love and Hip Hop" or "Black Ink" self-hating blacks when they portray themselves or their people as idiots?

Will the race-bait racist coli users ever take their heads out their asses? :sas2:
will Vegeta ever truly die? :lupe:
We find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

:camby: foh with that dumb shyt, he's as much an issue to the Black community's image as those "reality tv" stars on VH1 and them idiots on WSHH.
*well prepared to receive neg-rep points
*if you neg-rep me, suck a dikk.

We're not talking about reality tv, all races and ethnicities are equally portrayed as idiots on reality tv.