Engadget: Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed next year

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A 6-teraflop GPU and 12GB of RAM won't help Microsoft clear its other hurdle, though, at least not in the short term. Since last year, the company has shuttered a pair of its internal development studios (Fable house Lionhead and Max and the Curse of Brotherhood's Press Play) and killed off at least two other games: the incredibly promising dragon-owning-simulator Scalebound from PlatinumGames and the internally developed game-creation suite Project Spark.

The number of internal studios and software projects is so low that the company had to announce it would be going on a shopping spree for new studios and games next year. The problem is, on average, games take between two and three years to make, and big AAA tentpoles can easily spend double that time in development. Xbox's dearth of fresh games you can't play anywhere else isn't going to be fixed in 2018.

Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed next year

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I mean anyone can tell you that. They're so far behind, and releasing this fukking system puts them even further behind. I don't know if we will see another Xbox after this iteration

We haven't heard anything about a new gears or Halo. They've killed all their good IPs. What happened to state of decay 2 and crack down 3? Honestly at this point I think a lot of fans feel hoodwinked; it will take massive changes on Microsoft's part for them to regain trust. They're in the same boat Nintendo was a year ago, except they released an upgrade instead of a new system and so far have done little else to prove they're listening to what their consumers are saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the investors truly want micro out of the Xbox business. It would make sense why they've cut back so much. Not sure what the margin is like in the videogame business, but I'm sure it's pretty thin.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I mean anyone can tell you that. They're so far behind, and releasing this fukking system puts them even further behind. I don't know if we will see another Xbox after this iteration

We haven't heard anything about a new gears or Halo. They've killed all their good IPs. What happened to state of decay 2 and crack down 3? Honestly at this point I think a lot of fans feel hoodwinked; it will take massive changes on Microsoft's part for them to regain trust. They're in the same boat Nintendo was a year ago, except they released an upgrade instead of a new system and so far have done little else to prove they're listening to what their consumers are saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the investors truly want micro out of the Xbox business. It would make sense why they've cut back so much. Not sure what the margin is like in the videogame business, but I'm sure it's pretty thin.

Nintendo's first party offerings print money. They'll always be okay