Erykah Badu wants to cancel rappers...

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
We need more music like these songs, you can feel good listening to uplifting stuff like this. I didn’t take those people serious when they were going at Kendrick when he’s made music like with these themes.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who rap about street shyt,

What y’all think about this?

I think it depends on the content.
And I'm largely inclined to agree with Erykah on this one.

2pac and Ice Cube were gangsta rappers but they wrote with a sense of empathy that's lost
to a lot of "writers/rappers" in the contemporary.

People just do shyt out of convention and have no idea why they do it. Those mediocre rappers should
be canceled and they usually have fukk all to say when spoken too.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
shes right. we need more 90s rap
:stopitslime:
She had 3 baby daddies her opinion is irrelevant

Hoe babble :hubie:
all 3 of them nikkas can coexist...

u have never heard any of them nikkas or her on Mediafakeout lsa or the shade room about child support or other hoe shyt

:russ:

all 4 em never got bullshyt goin...

history alone..d.o.c was a a$$hole..n hes a west dallas drunk...n its 2 different docs from 1988- 1993 to now

New Jeruz Jewelz

Wavey Vertigo Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I didn’t realize how toxic our music was until I had a son. I would only listen to talk radio when he was younger but now I can explain things better.

Kids don’t know the energy they’re inviting inside. He thought Fetty Wap trap queen was about literally baking pies until I explained it. I had a long talk about 69 being a piece of shyt that promoted gangs like it was cool prior to his incarceration. Weeks later I was able to follow up when they were eventually arrested.

You can’t solely bank on controlling the message because there’s negative messages everywhere. Building & Communicating with your kids is the only way.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The woman said "don't buy anymore rap glorifying killing of other fellow black people. Especially when these same people are too chickenshyt to talk that talk about racists in their songs."

I don't disagree. :ehh:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm: from the 1997 blassic Baduizm, read carefully & critically

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you
Work ain't honest but it pays the bills
What we gonna do when they come for you
Gave me the life that I came to live

[Verse 1]
Do I really
Want my baby
Brother tell me what to do
I know you got to get your hustle on
So I pray
I understand the game, sometimes
And I love you strong, but

[Chorus]
What you gonna do when they come for you
Work ain't honest but it pays the bills (Yes, it does)
God I can't stand life withoutcha

[Verse 2]
Now, me and baby got this situation
See, brother got this complex occupation
And it ain't that he don't have education
'Cause I was right there at his graduation
Now, I ain't sayin' that this life don't work
But, it's me and baby that he hurts
'Cause I tell him right
He thinks I'm wrong
But I love him strong
He gave me the life that I came to live
Gave me the song that I came to give
Pressure on me
But the seed had grown
I can't make it on my own
Summer came around and the flowers bloomed
He became the sun
I became the moon
Precious gifts that we both received
Or could this be make believe

[Chorus]
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you
Work ain't honest but it pays the bills
(Work ain't honest but it pays the bills)
Yes, you did

[Verse 3]
Don't worry baby
I know there's confusion
God's gonna see us through (yeah)
Peace out to revolution but we paid though

[Bridge]
Don't you worry, keep your balance
(What you gonna do, What you gonna do)
The work ain't honest but it pays the bills
(Yes it does)
(Don't have to worry baby)
(Yes you did)

[Chorus]
You gave me the life that I came to live

[Post-Chorus]
Gave me the song that I came to give
Pressure on me
But the seed had grown
I can't make it on my own
Summer came around and the flowers bloomed
He became the sun, I became the moon
Precious gifts that we both received
Or could this be make believe

Oh yeah
Badu is with you baby
Hmmm
We gon' make it, yeah
Me, you and the baby
You gonna do
Whatcha you gonna do
Go, yeah, baby, baby
Oh go on

See I ain't tryin' to bind your life
But I want you to do what's right
And yeah
I'm your wife
Hmmm

Peace out to revolution
I know there's confusion
You gonna what you gotta do now

these is why a lot of these sistas need to shut the fukk up b. you see it was all good when erykah was with the negative, destructive, street nikka and directly benefiting from his trapping to pay the bills, right? but now that she's older and settled she now wants to cast this "i'm suddenly woke" stone against all the young brothers who are in the same dire circumstances, like kodak black for instance, as the nikka from the early 90's who she immortailzed in this song. they could not get ENOUGH of the bad boy when they were young and hot, but now that they've hit the wall and have lost their erotic capital they start swag switching and acting self righteous as fukk. typical bytch shyt

and before yall tweet noname about my misogynoir and she writes a wack ass dis record about old boy with a whispery ass shea butter voice lmao, white bytches are notorious swag switchers too b. take alyssa milano for instance. bytch was the fine, white sex pot in the 90's and had no problem using her erotic capital for currency. zero. but now that the bytch hit the wall all of a sudden she's a raging feminist who wants men to stop objectifying women because that's toxic masculinity. same with scarlett johanssen who is starting to hit the wall her damn self and all of a sudden in 2019 this bytch talmbout she never wanted to be objectified as a sex symbol. lmao these hoes kills me son...

There is a huge difference between a street dude and a gangsta who willingly and selfishly promotes a negative image.

Anyone who has listened to Erykah knows she's often uplifted the hustler. He was the everyday joe who dabbled in illegal activities to make ends meet vs some hyper masculine super gangsta who went around killing people (specifically Black people) and bragged about it. Huge difference. People are in here citing Andre 3000, and Jay Electronica knowing full well they weren't exactly gangsta rappers. D.O.C. is the only one you could call a gangsta rapper. They were more so street poets. It would be like calling Nas or Jay Z gangsta rappers.

And then people bringing up her having three baby daddies. Her children weren't the product of some random hookups or one night stands. She had long term relationships with them. And then you know the agenda at work because literally nobody mentioned Common or M-1 of dead prez. Why does there have to be an agenda at work? Because people know full well Common nor M-1 fall under the gangsta rap category.

W.I.Z.E.

Wise poster
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
There is a huge difference between a street dude and a gangsta who willingly and selfishly promotes a negative image.

Anyone who has listened to Erykah knows she's often uplifted the hustler. He was the everyday joe who dabbled in illegal activities to make ends meet vs some hyper masculine super gangsta who went around killing people (specifically Black people) and bragged about it. Huge difference. People are in here citing Andre 3000, and Jay Electronica knowing full well they weren't exactly gangsta rappers. D.O.C. is the only one you could call a gangsta rapper. They were more so street poets. It would be like calling Nas or Jay Z gangsta rappers.

And then people bringing up her having three baby daddies. Her children weren't the product of some random hookups or one night stands. She had long term relationships with them. And then you know the agenda at work because literally nobody mentioned Common or M-1 of dead prez. Why does there have to be an agenda at work? Because people know full well Common nor M-1 fall under the gangsta rap category.

Agreed

There’s a lot of covert racism on this thread and on this board in general.