ETrade, Schwab, or TD Ameritrade?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Where can i get some information on how to properly utilize these products?
What specifically are you trying to learn? About the stock market? About trading? How these platforms work?

Investopedia - Sharper Insight. Smarter Investing.

Start there to learn terms. They have some good information about financial terms that most people probably don't know. If you're trying to get time in with TD Ameritrade and the Thinkorswim platform, YouTube it. To start, the only thing you'll need to know is how to make a trade. From there, just mess around - that's the beauty of using Paper Money. Make as many mistakes as you like, you can always start over. The charting tools are more advanced since you can run different tools such as MACD, Bollinger Bands, SMA, and many more. It's really on you what you'd like to utilize and how much you want to learn.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Posted this in the boiler room thread a couple of weeks ago. For those who are not aware:

Charles Schwab just lowered their trade fees from $8.95 to $6.95 starting March 1st.

They also lowered the expense ratio for some of their index funds:

Here's How Charles Schwab Is Waging Its War On Stock, ETF And Fund Fees
Charles Schwab cutting fees again

Shares of Charles Schwab (SCHW) fell Thursday as the leading online broker announced that it will cut its trade commissions on stocks and ETFs starting Friday and lower expenses on its index mutual funds starting March 1.

Schwab will reduce its standard online equity and ETF trade commissions from $8.95 to $6.95, making them lowest among rivals such as Fidelity, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade (AMTD) and E-Trade (ETFC). Commissions at those competitors range from $7 to $20.

Expenses on Schwab's cap-weighted index mutual funds also will be aligned with their ETF counterparts, putting them among the lowest in the industry. Investment minimums are being eliminated for those Schwab funds and a single share class will be used, enabling even the smallest investor to pay the lowest possible fees, according to Schwab.

"Any investor will pay the same best rate across the board," Schwab CEO Walt Bettinger said in a call with analysts. He described his firm's latest moves as "critical for growth in the future."

The new expense ratios on Schwab S&P 500 Index Fund (SWPPX) and Schwab Small-Cap Index Fund (SWSSX) are 0.03% and 0.06%, respectively. Schwab U.S. Aggregate Bond Index Fund, set to launch Feb. 23, will charge 0.04%.

Competing index funds from Fidelity and Vanguard cost anywhere from three to five times more for a $5,000 investment, Bettinger pointed out.
Looks like TD Ameritrade felt the pressure and is going the same way too: TD Ameritrade Jumps Into Price War With Fidelity and Schwab . The just sent out an email with the details, becomes effective March 6
One day after Fidelity Investments announced a fee cut for individual investors, and 12 hours after Charles Schwab Corp. followed suit, TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. waded into the fray. Late Tuesday night, the company said it had lowered commissions on standard online retail trading to $6.95, from $9.99, a trade. The lower rate also applies to options trades, though the company maintained its 0.75 cent fee on individual contracts.

The rates don't match those of its rivals. Fidelity and Schwab lowered retail commissions on online trades to $4.95, from $7.95 and $6.95, respectively, and moved from a fee of 0.75 cents per individual options contract to 0.65 cents. Fidelity is the nation's largest online retail brokerage, with 17.9 million accounts and $1.7 trillion in client assets as of Dec. 31, 2016.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My primary broker was OptionHouse but they got absorbed by Etrade. Got to keep my rates and everything so I'm happy. Decent app and platform as well.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I've been with TD ameritrade for years. Never had to speak to a broker once

ameritrade is cool, but they wouldn't give me free trades.

my boy works for merrill lynch so for moving my accounts over there, I got $250 cash plus I'm getting 30 free trades a month. so I'm essentially NOT paying commissions unless I were to make more than 2 trades a day.

the ameritrade app is much better than BOA/merrill lynch.