ETrade, Schwab, or TD Ameritrade?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I joined TD Ameritrade for PaperMoney trading through Thinkorswim. I set it up on a whim one morning and it took maybe 20, 30 minutes. A few days later one of their representatives called me to build an investment profile - I thought that was neighborly of them. Haven't touched Thinkorswim in the past couple of months though, been too busy. But man, if I had put real money into PMC :wowhand2:. When I sold my PaperMoney shares I made around 2 grand off of 100 shares, and I think I paid around 14-18 grand for them about a month prior. So I'm sure you could imagine how folks who have thousands of shares must have felt. PaperMoney is good if you want to get acclimated with no risk. You can adjust how much you have in your account so that it matches what you have for real, and then try to make smart, realistic moves. Or you could dump in 6 figures and buy what you want. It's all up to you. The prices are delayed 20 minutes from the actual market and there's no after hours trading, but that's really a non-issue.

That said, Thinkorswim isn't easy to use, the learning curve is kinda steep. But you really have nothing to lose to I'd say go for it.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
All of them are about the same in terms of fees. TD Ameritrade offers the most when it comes to overall platform and abilities.

If you are just screwing around then I'd also look into Robin Hood for commission free trading. Just don't expect to become a professional day trader using Robin Hood trade executions

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I hope TradeKing will have a banking feature now that Ally Bank owns them.

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I use to work for Etrade, so I endorse them. They have banking products, as well as the personal brokerage accts come with checks,and funds rest in a money market.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I use TD Ameritrade, they have 24/7 customer support and education tools for newbies

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I use TD Ameritrade still learning as i go, haven't had any problems with them as of yet.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Posted this in the boiler room thread a couple of weeks ago. For those who are not aware:

Charles Schwab just lowered their trade fees from $8.95 to $6.95 starting March 1st.

They also lowered the expense ratio for some of their index funds:

Here's How Charles Schwab Is Waging Its War On Stock, ETF And Fund Fees
Charles Schwab cutting fees again

Shares of Charles Schwab (SCHW) fell Thursday as the leading online broker announced that it will cut its trade commissions on stocks and ETFs starting Friday and lower expenses on its index mutual funds starting March 1.

Schwab will reduce its standard online equity and ETF trade commissions from $8.95 to $6.95, making them lowest among rivals such as Fidelity, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade (AMTD) and E-Trade (ETFC). Commissions at those competitors range from $7 to $20.

Expenses on Schwab's cap-weighted index mutual funds also will be aligned with their ETF counterparts, putting them among the lowest in the industry. Investment minimums are being eliminated for those Schwab funds and a single share class will be used, enabling even the smallest investor to pay the lowest possible fees, according to Schwab.

"Any investor will pay the same best rate across the board," Schwab CEO Walt Bettinger said in a call with analysts. He described his firm's latest moves as "critical for growth in the future."

The new expense ratios on Schwab S&P 500 Index Fund (SWPPX) and Schwab Small-Cap Index Fund (SWSSX) are 0.03% and 0.06%, respectively. Schwab U.S. Aggregate Bond Index Fund, set to launch Feb. 23, will charge 0.04%.

Competing index funds from Fidelity and Vanguard cost anywhere from three to five times more for a $5,000 investment, Bettinger pointed out.