"Ex Machina" Official Thread

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I enjoyed the movie, but they were lazy about her scheme to get out. Come on, dude is a new rich genius and his home is secured with a Chipotle security system? :dead: Just one of those movies that falls apart with the silliness they had to inject to setup the finale. Dude is plotting to see if one of his robots can talk a simp into helping her escape, yet he ignores power outages and doesn't have safeguards in place just in case her plan works? And, he brings in a savante to help her do it? :dead:

Really, movie could have been a classic if the writer could have come up with a goat system for the simp and the bot to clown the creator, but it just came off as a lame jail break which he should have been way to smart for. And, the robot was a little too perfect. shyt, if she was that good why on earth did he trust her at all and why would he need to improve her?

Director definitely has a type. Women built like 14 year olds :sitdown:

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Isn't that the question this movie raises? How do you distinguish legitimate consciousness from a convincing imitation? You can't be sure that Ava was only imitating consciousness. If she was just a robot, just a machine running on code why would she have such a desire to escape? Why would she kill Nathan? In my opinion she was conscious, she wasn't just imitating emotions.

She proves it because she passes the rules her builder setup in the test. The problem is she succeeds even when he tries to stop her.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
I enjoyed the movie, but they were lazy about her scheme to get out. Come on, dude is a new rich genius and his home is secured with a Chipotle security system? :dead: Just one of those movies that falls apart with the silliness they had to inject to setup the finale. Dude is plotting to see if one of his robots can talk a simp into helping her escape, yet he ignores power outages and doesn't have safeguards in place just in case her plan works? And, he brings in a savante to help her do it? :dead:

Really, movie could have been a classic if the writer could have come up with a goat system for the simp and the bot to clown the creator, but it just came off as a lame jail break which he should have been way to smart for. And, the robot was a little too perfect. shyt, if she was that good why on earth did he trust her at all and why would he need to improve her?

Director definitely has a type. Women built like 14 year olds :sitdown:

:stopitslime:

Nathan doesn't ignore power outages, the default power outage setting is to lockdown the entire complex.

Caleb reprogrammed it to open all doors in the event of a power outage. He overrode the safeguards. Plus they're in the middle of nowhere (the final safeguard).

Your ol sucka for love ass wanted them to walk in the sunset together? Simp.

Ava would killed Caleb the first chance she got because he knows what she is. There's no ending where they team up and "clown" the creator.

She doesn't need to be rescued, caleb was a means to an end, not a love interest.

A better critique and question is, was there not a better/safer way to test Ava for sentience?

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
:stopitslime:

Nathan doesn't ignore power outages, the default power outage setting is to lockdown the entire complex.

Caleb reprogrammed it to open all doors in the event of a power outage. He overrode the safeguards. Plus they're in the middle of nowhere (the final safeguard).

Your ol sucka for love ass wanted them to walk in the sunset together? Simp.

Ava would killed Caleb the first chance she got because he knows what she is. There's no ending where they team up and "clown" the creator.

She doesn't need to be rescued, caleb was a means to an end, not a love interest.

A better critique and question is, was there not a better/safer way to test Ava for sentience?

What in the hell are you talking about? Where did you see anything about me saying I wanted a "happy ending"? Dude was making fukk bots. The boy was dumb enough to think he might have been one too, that's how twisted his weak mind was by the end.

I'm not a Coli zero count dreaming about electric p*ssy. My big problem with this movie is they set up a bunch of dumb deus ex machina (:ohhh:) to help her escape. Had the escape plan been memorable and not a Walmart security card then I could buy this movie.

I don't even have a problem with the creator's test plan. But if this guy is such a genius and is 5 steps ahead of the boy the whole movie, how could he be so dumb about preparing for the end game? The ending was as unsatisfying as watching a heist movie where someone leaves the keys in the getaway car and it gets stolen.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That dude was so lame...what exactly was he gonna do if he broke her out..for intelligent guy he really didn't think it through
My full-time college experience was nerds acting like dumbasses while other nerds chastised them for not using their brains, then pulled the exact same dumb shyt the next night. :pachaha:

If you think ultra-intelligent tech geeks always apply their minds well to social situations and make great life choices....you haven't been around enough of them long enough yet. :skip:

Don't know if this was mentioned but i was dying when they broke out dancing. That was hilarious for some reason.
Am I the only one who was super disturbed by that scene?

For me it someone emphasized his abuse of them the most. Like, he treated her like a slave but she was the ultimate obedient slave who had to act like she was enjoying it. shyt made me mad uncomfortable.

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Am I the only one who was super disturbed by that scene?

For me it someone emphasized his abuse of them the most. Like, he treated her like a slave but she was the ultimate obedient slave who had to act like she was enjoying it. shyt made me mad uncomfortable.

It wasn't disturbing but it wasn't funny at all to me. It just made it clear he was making fukk bots for his entertainment. I never anthropomorphized any of them. The Asian bot was dumb. To me the white bot seemed suspect the whole time. Always felt like she was lying then when he started talking about helping her escape that sold it to me.

I never understood his motivation for AI since he seemed to have zero interest in any of the advanced intelligence. Seemed like he could have lived down there forever and just switched their bodies every few months and been just as happy. I didn't think his character was handled the right way.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Dude if I present you with something that is OBVIOUSLY a robot. It being able to pretend to have consciousness to the point it seems real, I still know it is fake.

It’s like someone performing a magic trick on me just because a magician completely fooled me and I don’t know how they did it I’m not going to start thinking they really have magic powers. I know it’s fake, no matter what.

But she wasn't attracted to him she was just pretending. That's all that robots can do.

AI is a simulation or reality. None of its output is genuine. It is a machine it has no actual emotions just hardware and software that can do a great impression of emotions. Therefore the proof of AI isn't the machine actually falling in love but pretending to do so convincingly.

How do you know it's fake? If the neural network in your brain can feel real emotion, real love, then why not advanced enough circuitry built off the same concepts?

:sas1::sas2:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
How do you know it's fake? If the neural network in your brain can feel real emotion, real love, then why not advanced enough circuitry built off the same concepts?

:sas1::sas2:
Because it is just advanced circuitry.
There is a thin line between an excellent simulation and real life but there is a line. :skip:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Because it is just advanced circuitry.
There is a thin line between an excellent simulation and real life but there is a line. :skip:

I'm waiting to hear what that line is. Neurons work in networks to create and interpret signals which show the emergent behavior of consciousness when combined together with enough complexity. Perceptrons work in networks to create and interpret signals....and may show the emergent behavior of consciousness when combined together with enough complexity.

What makes a neuron different that it is "real" and the computer program isn't? I'm honestly curious to see what your answer is here.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'm waiting to hear what that line is. Neurons work in networks to create and interpret signals which show the emergent behavior of consciousness when combined together with enough complexity. Perceptrons work in networks to create and interpret signals....and may show the emergent behavior of consciousness when combined together with enough complexity.

What makes a neuron different that it is "real" and the computer program isn't? I'm honestly curious to see what your answer is here.
It's organic material created thru millions of years of evolution. A computer program is man made in a lab/factory or both probably in the last decade or two.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's organic material created thru millions of years of evolution. A computer program is man made in a lab/factory or both probably in the last decade or two.

But the computer program is made by using and in part copying the organic program. So they taking advantage of that millions of years too.

Let's say someone made an electronic network that perfectly copied the brain. Could it love and feel emotion? Why not?

I'm not sure that it could, but only because I believe in a soul/spiritually/God. Outside of supernatural reality I don't see how there's any way to argue that a computer can't eventually be programmed to embody the entire human experience.