Expat in the Middle East (AMA)

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
There's definitely going to be more layoffs for us, tho the rumor is it'll be steady over the next 3 years and not another massive cut like last month.

However no one believes that "steady" shyt lol and we're all working on our own fall back plan if the worst were to happen. But that's just my company specifically, tho we were one of the bigger/"safer" companies.

Ultimately, I think it's going to be dry for a minute for most of the arabic countries; especially for corporate/non-essential oil&gas positions, flight attendants, and teachers.
What about IT?
How bad has covid effected the middle east in terms of economy and death?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
What about IT?
How bad has covid effected the middle east in terms of economy and death?
My best friend there, a literal 6 fig 6 cert breh in his early 30s, worked in IT and he got laid off. :francis:

By non-essential i pretty much mean anyone that isn't specifically upstream (extraction of raw materials/rig work) or downstream (making products from raw materials, and/or selling that shyt).

The Covid numbers weren't as bad as the states but there was some spike ups during some of the religious holidays (Ramadan and the first Eid back in May) because of the nature of what goes on at night after the fasting (or that's my rationale).

The economy definitely took a hit. Dubai got fukked over pretty hard; one because they're economy is very tourist based and they were already leaking a bit before Covid. Expo 2020 Dubai was supposed to be a huge thing for them (it'd been hyped up for a couple years now) but of course it's now delayed. A huge number of Emirates cabin crew and pilots got laid off as well, because no flights.

In the other Arabic countries, the local restaurants and businesses got hit hard similar to the states, bc of shutdowns. Most things are opened up again (malls, gyms, barbershops, etc) but with temperature checks and strict social distancing and mask rules. Most of us expats are just waiting on borders to open up for leisurely internationally flights, as right now it's still just one-way trips.

6ixSigma

Pro
Daps
. Most of us expats are just waiting on borders to open up for leisurely internationally flights, as right now it's still just one-way trips.

you ain’t lying
I been in country since February and i need to get out for a weekend trip somewhere at a minimum

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
@Alvin

I should be fair and clarify that just bc oil & gas and tourism-based industries are getting hit particularly hard doesn't mean that other industries absolutely aren't hiring. Hell, for most corporate industries there will be a growing transition to digitization and more virtual/remote means of getting shyt done, which undoubtedly will involve IT's involvement and consultation in any new software acquisitions + installation and troubleshooting.

So not to discourage you or anyone. There will be positions out there, just not sure how abundant given the pandemic.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
There's definitely going to be more layoffs for us, tho the rumor is it'll be steady over the next 3 years and not another massive cut like last month.

However no one believes that "steady" shyt lol and we're all working on our own fall back plan if the worst were to happen. But that's just my company specifically, tho we were one of the bigger/"safer" companies.

Ultimately, I think it's going to be dry for a minute for most of the arabic countries; especially for corporate/non-essential oil&gas positions, flight attendants, and teachers.

Damn... I figured. Probably going try to move out to the West coast (from Chicago) in the meantime.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
How is out there right now breh @Primetime seriously thinking about doing this in the Gulf Arab states or just moving to FL this summer

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
:mjcry:Fam.... anyone get laid off from your job?
Still out here.
Good luck getting out here though. Times are tough right now and people not really hopping around with jobs like they used to.

6ixSigma

Pro
Daps
:mjcry:Fam.... anyone get laid off from your job?

Yes. We had small 7 man team here.

2 were laid off since they were Contractors back last spring

1 his business unit called him back to France and told him he could fly back in occasionally until work is finished but he just decided to take the retirement package and call it a quits

1 guy moved back to US to work remotely but that was coming anyway

1 guy transitioned to the UAE

so now it’s just me and 1 other guy left

I also took 10% pay cut for most of last year then 6% payout for half of this year thus far.

Rather take that minimal pay cut than 100% pay cut by losing your job

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
How is out there right now breh @Primetime seriously thinking about doing this in the Gulf Arab states or just moving to FL this summer

Honestly, and i feel this applies to anyone's situation in the states: if you got a good job and made it this far without getting laid off (despite covid/the economy), with good relationship with your management.. you may be better off staying put until the pandemic subsides. shyt is real out there in them unemployment skreetz; so keeping the main job but prioritizing self improvement (getting your certs up) and/or working on alternative income streams to supplement your main gig might be more ideal. I'm still overseas and i'm getting my black belt six sigma through my department and they'll also pay for my PMP exam.

With that said, regardless of your situation (stable, non-stable, or yolo), the entire process to get over here can typically take like 3-6 months from the time you hit submit on an application... so there's no harm in applying for jobs and going through the process. Who knows how things will be 6 months from now. Some jobs are showing up in UAE/Dubai if you go to linkedin and filter to the region, but like others said, don't expect a lot of results. And even if you see some favorable ones, they may find usa expats to be too expensive right now.