:flabbynsick: brehs, 1998 was 20 years ago speak on it...

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:picard:

Vol. 1 a lot better than Vol. 2 imo :manny:
I agree wholeheartedly. But commercially it didn't do what Jay wanted it to. Definitely didn't live up to the original title (Heir to the Throne Vol 1).

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
disagreed

Vol.2 is pretty much Jay's "thriller"

Reasonable doubt was a better album but Vol.2 is when the casual listener (white people, women) became fans
I don't think the Thriller comparison is apt because I'm not sure how Jackson 5 fans or Off the Wall fans felt at the time Thriller was released (other than dissatisfaction at the track with Paul McCartney).

Also MJ had crossed over almost from the start.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Don't forget about the GOAT Southern rap album :mjgrin:
R-362613-1193768402.jpeg.jpg

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I know I'm gonna be in the minority but Streets is Watching soundtrack was my favorite Jay release from 1998 (to me Streets is Watching and Dynasty are top 5 Jay projects), even though its more of a compilation (N.O.R.E. and M.O.P. got solo joints on it) but it has some of the best Jay joints of his career IMO.

One of the best Hov tracks of All-Time, "Fortune 5, top 5 in the Forbes you'll see" :damn:

A pre-Reasonable Doubt Hov gem

It's Murda! :wow:

jay_x_ja_murderinc.jpg

Smooth :blessed:

Jay and Bleek :ehh:

Jay over the Computer Love sample :ehh:

I don't know who these Diamonds in the Rough dudes are but they bodied this :whew:

Jay's best music in '98 appeared on soundtracks, these are two other gems. :mjcry:

Real talk these joints shyt on Vol. 2.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I know I'm gonna be in the minority but Streets is Watching soundtrack was my favorite Jay release from 1998, even though its more of a compilation (N.O.R.E. and M.O.P. got solo joints on it) and has some of the best Jay joints of his career IMO.

One of the best Hov tracks of All-Time, "Fortune 5, top 5 in the Forbes you'll see" :damn:

A pre-Reasonable Doubt Hov gem

It's Murda! :wow:

jay_x_ja_murderinc.jpg

Smooth :blessed:

Jay and Bleek :ehh:

Jay over the Computer Love sample :ehh:

I don't know who these Diamonds in the Rough dudes are but they bodied this :whew:

Jay's best music in '98 appeared on soundtracks, these are two other gems. :mjcry:

I think this was 98 too