:flabbynsick: brehs, 1998 was 20 years ago speak on it...

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't forget about the GOAT Southern rap album :mjgrin:
R-362613-1193768402.jpeg.jpg

LOL nah but it's a pretty good side artist album.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
1998 in Hip Hop was equivalent to the Attitude Era. Every region was shining, the balance in rap was great, whether hard gangsta shyt, r&b, lyrical, hype shyt, etc, and you still had that grittiness in rap even with the influx of gloss the year before.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I don't think the Thriller comparison is apt because I'm not sure how Jackson 5 fans or Off the Wall fans felt at the time Thriller was released (other than dissatisfaction at the track with Paul McCartney).

Also MJ had crossed over almost from the start.

MJ lost his original core audience when he dropped thriller.

but I don't think that's what dude is getting at. I think hes referring to volume 2 being an album full of smash hits.

I know I'm gonna be in the minority but Streets is Watching soundtrack was my favorite Jay release from 1998 (to me Streets is Watching and Dynasty are top 5 Jay projects), even though its more of a compilation (N.O.R.E. and M.O.P. got solo joints on it) and has some of the best Jay joints of his career IMO.

One of the best Hov tracks of All-Time, "Fortune 5, top 5 in the Forbes you'll see" :damn:

yea, I always felt like "streets is watching" along with that soundtack run(players club, I got the hook-up, etc), were what jay's 2nd album would've sounded like, if he didn't hop on the bad boy wave.

if biggie didn't die, he would've received a ton of criticism for LAD. and I feel like jay-z would've stuck to the script and become the peoples champ, passing up biggie & nas on the east.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
L Boogie wiped her ass with every chart, grammy award and anything else music related for the next 2 years after this dropped in August of 1998. Every song was being playing on radio and It was the last time I remember every genre of people camping out for a album release. People have been trying to recreate that moment in time ever since, hoping and wishing it was Lauryn who would bring it back:mjcry:

500x500.jpg

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
6th/7th grade, begging Mom to buy me The Source, I remember a review of John Forte's debut, PolySci and AZ "Pieces Of A Man", hardly aware of any of these acts and their music, the DMX profiles, and seeing the video for "Ruff Ryders Anthem" for the first time, hearing Ginuwine "Same Ol G" on the radio, ....To fall buying "Hard Knock Life Vol. 2", with cashed in gift cards and ones, 1998 was really the year, or one of three, 97-99, that solidified my love for rap.

CD SINGLES! Needs it's own thread, I wish I still had my mini collection, they are all lost and scattered, aside from one or two.

Bought my Mom the Lauryn Hill single, and the "Love Me" 112 and Mase

TQ "Westside"

Reel Tight "Do U Wanna Ride"

Master P "I Got The Hook Up" song and movie...cannot express how classic that was.

I don't know how I bought that album, but I did for that ONE song, and the Jay-Z one.

No Hook

Surrounded By Hate Yet I Love Home
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I started listening to hip hop daily around that time as a youngin :wow:

The shine was back on the east coast as well like it was when RTD dropped

Looking back on the hip hop albums that dropped that year 98 was definitely part of the golden era in hip hop hands down

Daps
A year before I was born, but a lot of my fav rap albums are from this year. Capital Punishment, It's Dark and Hell is Hot, 400 Degreez, Aquemini, etc. Beautiful year for the culture :blessed: