For the Vacant WW Title: Official UFC 171- Hendricks vs Lawler Thread

Who will be crowned the new WW champion?

• Total voters

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Wait, what? ALL judges judge based on their own criteria. If they didnt, there would NEVER be any differences in scores. All 3 judges would score they same in every round, every fight. That's why they call it judging.

No they don't. They base it off offense. Takedowns, striking, grappling, ground control, etc. No one is scoring based off TDD. You don't get points in football for tackles. Thats a silly statement

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Ok, so for example if Hendricks lands 20 punches in 50 attempts, and Lawler lands 20 in 47 attempts, who gets the round? You would have to still judge on that as well as other things. In your example above, you dont get points for incomplete passes in football either (stuffed takedowns)

Why would one guy get credit for attempting to take an opponent down, and the other not get credit for STOPPING him 4 times? My point is that all judges have criteria to base things off of, but look at them different. I saw the 1st as a tossup, and gave Lawler the round for eliminating Hendricks' attempts at any ground control.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Ok, so for example if Hendricks lands 20 punches in 50 attempts, and Lawler lands 20 in 47 attempts, who gets the round? You would have to still judge on that as well as other things. In your example above, you dont get points for incomplete passes in football either (stuffed takedowns)

Why would one guy get credit for attempting to take an opponent down, and the other not get credit for STOPPING him 4 times? My point is that all judges have criteria to base things off of, but look at them different. I saw the 1st as a tossup, and gave Lawler the round for eliminating Hendricks' attempts at any ground control.

The judges don't take takedown defense, or submission defense, etc, into their scoring--because those are things that must be done because of the action of the opponent. Same way that in jiu-jitsu if you pass the opponent's guard, you get 3 points, but if he gets his guard back, he doesn't get anything. If you shoot 10 unsuccessful takedown attempts, and nothing else happens in the match, the judges would give you the match, because the opponent is reacting to your offense.

If Hendricks shot on Lawler, and Lawler defending the takeodnw in a way that caused a change in position, like if Lawler ended up stuffing a double, then doing a 3/4 nelson and turning Hendricks onto Hendrick's back...then the judges would look at giving some scoring to Lawler. Or if Lawler stuffed the shot and attempted a darce or guillotine choke, or if he stuffed the shot and then landed some strikes, etc.

The word scoring is confusing in this case, because it's really just a mental tally that the judges are taking. MMA doesn't have designated/set amount of points for certain actions. Some judges probably do score for takedown or submission defense, but not because they're supposed to. They might do it being stupid or not knowing better. All that being sad, I do think there are defensive/reactionary situations that should get some kind of scoring nod.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Hendricks has that Chuck Liddell thing going where he trusts his chin way too much to the point that he doesn't feel the need to move his head out of the way. That ain't good.

Kinda funny that his main talking point after the GSP fight was "look at his face and look at mine, that's the champion?" Considering how he then looked last night in victory

-P-

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps

Thats why they further break it down into significant strikes. I just don't think defensive aspect should be accounted for. Its bad enough the scoring is fukked up as it is

Daps
Lawler lost cuz he was too busy tapping Hendrick's gloves and trying to grab his arms or something, then throwing a bunch of half-ass uncommitted punches. In the 4th round he looked like he wanted to win, but I guess in the 5th he got too tired or something.

Lawler is obviously better than Hendricks in standup, but he didn't want to be more aggressive, I didn't understand. Hendricks had an obvious advantage in the clinch (where Lawler looked helpless) and on the ground, but he tried to stand up with him because he was tagging him so much. Hendricks has terrible lateral movement, Robbie should've just swarmed on him especially in the 3rd round.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
method=get&s=sheet.jpg

My whole point about "judges" and their scoring.

How in the hell do you give the 2nd round 10-8 to Hendricks (he didnt dominate that round like that, and not give Lawler the 3rd 10-8? Lawler won the 3rd round bigger then any round in the fight. The 5th was a Hendricks round, so where do you get 10-10 from.

There is no rhyme or reason to judging these days.

yo moms

drunk
Daps
my boy nick diaz was with rousey :takedat:

hope he hitting that :takedat:

thats my best ww in the world

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
i just watched it. i'd say hendricks won that. i mean, he was in trouble a couple times, lawler gave him a worse beating than he gave lawler but i think he clearly won 3 rounds. i didn't see any 10-8's either way, so...

i really think lawler could not only have won but he could've finished him. he just wasn't mixing it up enough though, plus it seemed like he was too content with waving his around and trying to counter all the time...and hendricks' defense was pretty bad last night, so i think a more aggressive robbie could've tko'd him.

shytty injury for condit. love watching him fight. if it's an acl, he's gonna be out for a while too. it's too bad that fight didn't play out. i was on the fence when it ended...cuz it looked like woodley could've wrestlefukked him to a win or carlos could've kept getting back up and eventually stopped woodley on the feet but fukk...who knows now.

thank christ that shields lost. i thought he was gonna win. strictly because he just somehow manages to win fights. he regularly faces better strikers, better (or least equal on paper) grapplers, bigger/stronger guys, more athletic, etc...but he has a great chin, he just grinds shyt out, nullifies his opponents and wins. it's boring, it's ugly, so i'm glad he lost. i wanna believe in hector but i'm just not there yet. he's so close though.

i'd totally be into a woodley/lombard fight...just for that 1st round alone :whew:

i love how the ww division opened up so much since gsp retired but considering all that's happened, i don't know where the match making is gonna go from here, especially for the title. like, who gets a crack at hendricks now? obviously, they'll find somebody (rory maybe?) but i don't think anyone really deserves a title shot at this point.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
The judges don't take takedown defense, or submission defense, etc, into their scoring--because those are things that must be done because of the action of the opponent. Same way that in jiu-jitsu if you pass the opponent's guard, you get 3 points, but if he gets his guard back, he doesn't get anything. If you shoot 10 unsuccessful takedown attempts, and nothing else happens in the match, the judges would give you the match, because the opponent is reacting to your offense.

If Hendricks shot on Lawler, and Lawler defending the takeodnw in a way that caused a change in position, like if Lawler ended up stuffing a double, then doing a 3/4 nelson and turning Hendricks onto Hendrick's back...then the judges would look at giving some scoring to Lawler. Or if Lawler stuffed the shot and attempted a darce or guillotine choke, or if he stuffed the shot and then landed some strikes, etc.

The word scoring is confusing in this case, because it's really just a mental tally that the judges are taking. MMA doesn't have designated/set amount of points for certain actions. Some judges probably do score for takedown or submission defense, but not because they're supposed to. They might do it being stupid or not knowing better. All that being sad, I do think there are defensive/reactionary situations that should get some kind of scoring nod.
depends on the fight but sometimes this isnt such a bad thing, seen a lot of wrestler v jitz guy scenarios where the jitz guy is being reactionary to the pace/tempo the wrestler is setting.Fight goes to the ground and jitz guy constantly trying to neutralize the wrestlers assault.Using his jitz hes defending and attempting but to no avail.So to the untrained eye because out of the 2 the jitz guy actually made more glaring offensive attempts to end the fight noobs would assume he should be scored highly for that.When if the wrestler didnt push the pace at all there would've been no fight

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
thank christ that shields lost. i thought he was gonna win. strictly because he just somehow manages to win fights. he regularly faces better strikers, better (or least equal on paper) grapplers, bigger/stronger guys, more athletic, etc...but he has a great chin, he just grinds shyt out, nullifies his opponents and wins. it's boring, it's ugly, so i'm glad he lost. i wanna believe in hector but i'm just not there yet. he's so close though.

i'd totally be into a woodley/lombard fight...just for that 1st round alone :whew:
had the same reaction, only wish I say it live as oppose to accidentally reading spoilers before peepin the fight...This win made me a believer in hector for the very reason u stated, jake just had a knack for jon fitching his way to a decesion not this time :mjpls: only thing that worries me about lombard is he looks like he juices :manny:
i love how the ww division opened up so much since gsp retired but considering all that's happened, i don't know where the match making is gonna go from here, especially for the title. like, who gets a crack at hendricks now? obviously, they'll find somebody (rory maybe?) but i don't think anyone really deserves a title shot at this point.
the division was heating up as early as 2 years ago ufc just fuk things with that whole diaz shyt..

ps hendricks kind of showed he aint the man last night or maybe lawler is that good :ehh: