Funk Flex challenges old NY rappers to step their music game up: UPDATE: Rae and Ghost gets called out

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
IDGAF about statistics. The "Big 3" of this era have double digit albums I'll never listen to between them. I rarely like most or all of ANYBODY'S songs, but I'll listen to whatever Math or Lux put out on the strength of them being great MCs. If you don't like it, cool. Some people do. Realize the brainwashing and programming that goes on. If you don't think Loaded Lux couldn't have been pushed to the level of a Cole or maybe even Kendrick, you're bugging. If he sold his soul and started getting on his knees for some label after the Cal battle put him on everyone's radar, he might be one of them now. He's as good or better a rapper than anyone big right now.
No offense but this is delusional bullshyt. Math and Lux can't make a SONG to save their lives. They are also much older than Cole/Kendrick/Drake. The idea that a label can simply make someone pop by snapping their finger hasn't been true in decades. Cole, Drake, and Kendrick all built substantial fanbases before their first major label releases, and they've maintained their careers with good albums and/or hits.

Nobody gives a fukk about Lux or Math outside of New York. They became battle rappers for a reason - because that's all they can do.

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
50 and Jay, and I’ll even put Nicki in there are wayyy too big to succumb to Flex, Hot 97, and NY radio politics

They not big enough to avoid all of this. They need to put solid music out. Jay has a song dropping with DJ Khaled soon so we'll see what's up with him.

IAMDetroit

"Yall Nig*as"
Daps
Reppin
D
Yes he does. Half cac (the type that runs the industry :mjpls: ), his father an industry known musician, and him being a child actor (Hollywood connects). He has ZERO Hip-Hop credentials. He liked Phonte and just decided to rap one day. I'm not saying Lux or Math or whoever would achieve that success, but, if the machine got behind any of them, they could have "hits" and be on the chart and be popular. Atlantic does it all day. They tried to give Lupe that pre-made "hit", he said no, they gave it to wack ass B.O.B., he charted, they got it on radio, he had a career for a minute. Cardi B's ENTIRE MUSIC CAREER. Most of these rappers now are manufactured. He 100% is manufactured. If he can be the biggest rapper in the world, anyone can be a charting "hits" rapper under the right circumstances. If he signed to Atlantic, and took the pre-made "hits", he would have been on radio and possibly been a mainstream draw like anyone mentioned here.
You over here creating a life story for Aubrey lol.
All wrong and off base.:scusthov:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
No offense but this is delusional bullshyt. Math and Lux can't make a SONG to save their lives. They are also much older than Cole/Kendrick/Drake. The idea that a label can simply make someone pop by snapping their finger hasn't been true in decades. Cole, Drake, and Kendrick all built substantial fanbases before their first major label releases, and they've maintained their careers with good albums and/or hits.

Nobody gives a fukk about Lux or Math outside of New York. They became battle rappers for a reason - because that's all they can do.
Lux can make songs. Math is dirt. Lux ain’t much older than Cole or Drizzy. He like 38. Lol

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

One thing I thought was interesting when Math got his song played: he was soliciting fans for artwork after the fact.

That’s a cool fan initiative. But how do you not have artwork for all 5 singles ready, so you can drop whatever Flex picks to streaming same day? This is the moment you were asking for, and I still can’t find the single two weeks later.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

So, I guess you missed where I told about Atlantic trying to give Lupe that B.O.B. song that ended up one of B.O.B.s, if not his biggest song. They manufacture stars all the time. The radio, and to a degree the charts, are predetermined. shyt is almost WWE at this point.
You over here creating a life story for Aubrey lol.
All wrong and off base.:scusthov:
All facts. Prove me wrong.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
So, I guess you missed where I told about Atlantic trying to give Lupe that B.O.B. song that ended up one of B.O.B.s, if not his biggest song. They manufacture stars all the time. The radio, and to a degree the charts, are predetermined. shyt is almost WWE at this point.

All facts. Prove me wrong.

How did that work out for Lupe or BoB? Atlantic got BoB hot for one year and then he fell off the face of the earth. Lupe had success with Lasers before failing commercially for the rest of his career. The label cannot sustain you with plug-and-play hits. They're the ultimately example of forgettable manufactured shyt, and audiences tune it out eventually. You need to be able to create your own hits with your own style. Lupe hasn't done that, neither has BoB.

You need a sustainable fanbase. If you think giving Lux an Atlantic approved "hit" back then would work you clearly know nothing about the industry. But you're the same guy suggesting successful artists are sucking dikk to be famous so why waste my time. I worked at Interscope right before GKMC dropped. Nobody in that building thought it would be a hit album. People at Columbia were taking bets on Cole flopping. Both succeeded without label-created hits because they had strong fanbases around the country. That's what you needed back then. Today things are different but still, neither of those old ass battle rappers are catching a hit today either.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
How did that work out for Lupe or BoB? Atlantic got BoB hot for one year and then he fell off the face of the earth. Lupe had success with Lasers before failing commercially for the rest of his career. The label cannot sustain you with plug-and-play hits. They're the ultimately example of forgettable manufactured shyt, and audiences tune it out eventually. You need to be able to create your own hits with your own style. Lupe hasn't done that, neither has BoB.

You need a sustainable fanbase. If you think giving Lux an Atlantic approved "hit" back then would work you clearly know nothing about the industry. But you're the same guy suggesting successful artists are sucking dikk to be famous so why waste my time. I worked at Interscope right before GKMC dropped. Nobody in that building thought it would be a hit album. People at Columbia were taking bets on Cole flopping. Both succeeded without label-created hits because they had strong fanbases around the country. That's what you needed back then. Today things are different but still, neither of those old ass battle rappers are catching a hit today either.
It's not the sole component, but, if they choose to put the resources behind you, and you take the "help", they can make you a household name. Lupe refused. If not, he would still be on Atlantic, and it might be a Big 4 now. He has the talent to go with the "help".

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's not the sole component, but, if they choose to put the resources behind you, and you take the "help", they can make you a household name. Lupe refused. If not, he would still be on Atlantic, and it might be a Big 4 now. He has the talent to go with the "help".
Given that he can't write a song to save his life and there is no record of Atlantic's manufactured hits helping anybody long term...nope. Even Lupe admits he's not good at that game.