Funk Flex challenges old NY rappers to step their music game up: UPDATE: Rae and Ghost gets called out

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You're right on that front, but it doesn't make it any less of a devolution caused by NY culture losing the plot on rap in the mid-00s
Things just change every decade is different.

Rappers in all regions today generally rap different than their counterparts from their cities in the 90’s.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Things just change every decade is different.

Rappers in all regions today generally rap different than their counterparts from their cities in the 90’s.
No. They just jump out the window and gain traction before they actually become polished rappers who take pride in their craft. It’s like they are amateur professionals. If that makes sense. Half these cats literally JUST started rapping months before they get hot. shyt would’ve never happened in the past and I don’t care what era it is that’s a BAD change. Not a good one. A lot of these cats have a hard time staying in pocket. The whole drill scene is filled with nikkas spitting the same verse over and over. And I’m mean it’s literally like dozens of nikkas are SHARING a verse. It’s crazy that the girls in the scene are more skilled at rapping than a lot of the nikkas. All the best drill nikkas locked up right now. And even they get smoked when someone like Herbo hop on a track wit them. D Thang the GOAT of that whole scene. Every one of these nikkas bite him. Even his opps. Lol

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
These nikkas don’t know what they talking bout. A lot of these young early 20s nikkas these speakin on was obsessed heavily influenced by Odd Future and shyt like that at one point. Joey Badass, Flatbush Zombies etc etc. A beat like DR Birds is right up that alley.
Yea Odd Future had an image, Pro Era was cool to like. Griselda doesn’t have the youth aura, the one nikka my age who listens to them is :mjlol: Status. I don’t mind them, but that shyt should not be on radio. Odd Future n them wasn’t even on the radio, and they were actually relevant

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
You make good posts but sometimes I wonder if you're being honest with yourself when you say these guys are rapping competently. Even their delivery and diction is amateurish.

Like TripleAgent said, all the 80s/90s cats were 18-21 when they started and sounded pretty polished. Nas was far from an outlier. Youth is no excuse for bad music.

And it's not content thing - like you said, they're talking about the same shyt they were in the 90s. But these Drill nikkas are bad and borderline embarrassing at it. They come off as self-parodies pandering to racial stereotypes.
Breh you to young to be this flabified, we all love 90s rap.. But these nikkas in the booth just be stuck in that shyt sucking these nikkas off :dame:Dude was talking about hip hop stands for peace love and positivity, and drill is none of that while wanting Griselda to be played on the radio:mjlol:. Where is the peace, love in their music? Them nikkas don’t come off as racist stereotypes? Pusha T doesn’t? Cause he has some diction and can rap to your standard, a nikka with braids rapping about selling dope isn’t then a racial stereotype???

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Breh you to young to be this flabified, we all love 90s rap.. But these nikkas in the booth just be stuck in that shyt sucking these nikkas off :dame:Dude was talking about hip hop stands for peace love and positivity, and drill is none of that while wanting Griselda to be played on the radio:mjlol:. Where is the peace, love in their music? Them nikkas don’t come off as racist stereotypes? Pusha T doesn’t? Cause he has some diction and can rap to your standard, a nikka with braids rapping about selling dope isn’t then a racial stereotype???
The stereotypes isn't really the content but the way it's presented - let's appear as obnoxious and uneducated as possible. So while Pusha T rapping about selling dope yes, does end up coming off as a stereotype, it's not some wild jigaboo looking shyt either and is conveyed in a more compelling, intelligent way

I don't agree with all that "peace, love, unity" shyt, that was always :duck:'s when applied to most rap in the 90s besides the Native Tongues

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
No. They just jump out the window and gain traction before they actually become polished rappers who take pride in their craft. It’s like they are amateur professionals. If that makes sense. Half these cats literally JUST started rapping months before they get hot. shyt would’ve never happened in the past and I don’t care what era it is that’s a BAD change. Not a good one. A lot of these cats have a hard time staying in pocket. The whole drill scene is filled with nikkas spitting the same verse over and over. And I’m mean it’s literally like dozens of nikkas are SHARING a verse. It’s crazy that the girls in the scene are more skilled at rapping than a lot of the nikkas. All the best drill nikkas locked up right now. And even they get smoked when someone like Herbo hop on a track wit them. D Thang the GOAT of that whole scene. Every one of these nikkas bite him. Even his opps. Lol
They do a lot of them are amateurs a lot of them did start rapping recently. They’re not like the 90’s rappers. That’s drill music it’s raw and unpolished. I never disputed that.

Nikkas acting like Brotherly Love is straight trash are bugging. And that’s where this argument started with dude that posted Dr. Birds.

Whose biting Dthang? What aspects of Dthang are being bit? I find the style of the rappers pretty different. To me Kay Flock was #1 (Dthang #2) and TG Crippy the best pure MC/most polished.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The stereotypes isn't really the content but the way it's presented - let's appear as obnoxious and uneducated as possible. So while Pusha T rapping about selling dope yes, does end up coming off as a stereotype, it's not some wild jigaboo looking shyt either and is conveyed in a more compelling, intelligent way

I don't agree with all that "peace, love, unity" shyt, that was always :duck:'s when applied to most rap in the 90s besides the Native Tongues
Rap music is the product of the MCing element of Hip-Hop Culture. While talking about what was going on was inevitable, look at what was coming from the CULTURE'S rappers:

• Party records
  • Bragging about/proving you're the best MC
  • Records about girls
  • Later, "The Message" and other records about fixing thing
These are 99% if not all the records up until the late 80s. "Reality/Gangsta" rap started with a nikka from Philly (Schooly D), then nikkas from Cali (Ice T, NWA). Ice T was down with Zulu and such, look at him in Breakin', and the type of stuff he was doing before he heard Schooly D and started doing Gangsta Rap. THAT was cultural. NYC rappers did the stuff I mentioned, then the 5%ers and brehs like Native Tounges. So, no, not:duck:at all, breh, out of town nikkas not plugged in culturally, and corporations/money (small hats) steered Rap away from the cultural elements. New Yorkers wanted to stay true, which is why it took years for them to accept NWA on a large scale. Then, money got involved, and the rest is history. The Earliest NYC Gangsta rapper...Kool G Rap? In the early days, he had stuff like Road To The Riches, where he raps about selling drugs TO ESCAPE, but talks about the pitfalls, but at the same time, makes records like "Erase Racism". It wasn't until the 90s Gangsta Rap era he's on the murder murder, kill kill shyt, but he STILL put messages in some of it to tell you it's not all fun and games.

EDIT: I'm wrong, the first NYC gangsta rapper was Just-Ice. Hard, walked around the projects with a shotgun looking for nikkas for dissing, Wild AF. More of a gangster/thug than NWA ever was, but was a 5%er, had and rapped about Knowledge Of Self, girls, grafitti, B-Boying, etc. Ran with KRS-ONE.

Last edited:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC

Pusha T rapping about selling coke at 45 years old

These is kids straight from the block still living that life

One raps their reality, the other raps his long past and :duck:

Think about it what’s worse?

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
They do a lot of them are amateurs a lot of them did start rapping recently. They’re not like the 90’s rappers. That’s drill music it’s raw and unpolished. I never disputed that.

Nikkas acting like Brotherly Love is straight trash are bugging. And that’s where this argument started with dude that posted Dr. Birds.

Whose biting Dthang? What aspects of Dthang are being bit? I find the style of the rappers pretty different. To me Kay Flock was #1 (Dthang #2) and TG Crippy the best pure MC/most polished.
TG Crippy ain’t better than Kenzo Balla. He’s far more repetitive and I been putting people on to them brothers for a minute. Kay Flock was the most lit. D Thang was the most talented. All these people bit a lot of the shyt he says on his songs. A lot of the phrases he used. DThang one of the few that actually knows how to do a proper hook and format a proper song. He don’t have to do drill the same way Pop Smoke didn’t.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Pusha T rapping about selling coke at 45 years old

These is kids straight from the block still living that life

One raps their reality, the other raps his long past and :duck:

Think about it what’s worse?
One displays a million times more skill. End of the day. That’s what I care about most. MOST of these drill nikkas can’t rap. And it’s not like I’m not up on the scene heavy or out of touch or some shyt.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
There's just something about battle rappers being so lame on their own projects. They're never good, they have weak flows and can't produce one single. It feels like famous rappers who say they used to battle rap, just gave up on it and chased a hot single, because Math, Loaded, and everyone else, have some of the worst albums with zero appeal.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
There's just something about battle rappers being so lame on their own projects. They're never good, they have weak flows and can't produce one single. It feels like famous rappers who say they used to battle rap, just gave up on it and chased a hot single, because Math, Loaded, and everyone else, have some of the worst albums with zero appeal.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
TG Crippy ain’t better than Kenzo Balla. He’s far more repetitive and I been putting people on to them brothers for a minute. Kay Flock was the most lit. D Thang was the most talented. All these people bit a lot of the shyt he says on his songs. A lot of the phrases he used. DThang one of the few that actually knows how to do a proper hook and format a proper song. He don’t have to do drill the same way Pop Smoke didn’t.
Kay Flock was the clear star with DThang behind him. B Lovee makes the best “songs”. Sha EK got the most energy and the best performer. Kenzo and TG along with Lee Drilly the most polished rapping wise.

I don’t hear nikkas biting Dthang like that tbh. His main catch phrase is that “like like” shyt and that ad lib and phrase is abused throughout the Bronx drill scene. Even Cardi B used it on “Shake It”. That’s how these kids talk. In reality it was Bizzy Banks that really started that and that “glah glah boom” shyt.

I think a lot of these dudes could do non-drill music but this is what’s hot right now. Like every drill rapper that gets signed they abandon that shyt and start making songs forreal. I heard some non-drill Kay Flock snippets already with OT industry features.

Last edited: