GGG-Canelo Master Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
He could have still had the Canelo fight at anytime if the fight was to be held at 160 like it is. If he's a natural middleweight, it shouldn't be a problem to go back down. :sas1: Plus a win or two over some of the top 168ers would have taken this fight to new heights interest wise. Maybe they wouldn't be playing second fiddle to the 8/26 circus. He's been camping out at 160 for what, 10 plus years? And the division isn't even stacked. I thought Ward also offered a scrap at 164.
Unifying is nice and an admirable thing to do, but if it's taking 600 years to do so you might as well move up. He's what....35 already? If Canelo beats him, is he gonna start over with the belts or move up (if no rematch)

Great post though . I didn't know about the Froch situation.

Canelo has been fighting at his own weight class 155 for the past 3-4 years. He barely went to 164 for the first time against Chavez JR. Plus Canelo prior had been fighting above 154 and weighing 175+ in the ring on fight night. The dude is clearly at a comfortable weight well above 160. It's not Golovkins fault Canelo chose to fight guys like Amir Khan and Liam Smith. He could have fought anyone - Danny Jacobs, Lemieux, Eubank, Andy Lee, whoever. He chose smaller guys, cool whatever. You also ignore that Canelo reneged on their deal with GGG - they agreed to fight after interim fights but Canelo kept having excuse after excuse and eventually gave up the WBC Middleweight belt. I firmly believe he waited for GGG to get up there in age to fight him. Too much of a coincidence that after GGG's fight with Jacobs he signed on to fight him being that GGG struggled a bit against a slick boxer like Jacobs.

It's only been taking 600 years to unify the titles because Canelo didn't want the fight :skip:

8/26 is playing second fiddle to this fight

GGG VS Canelo will sell more

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Canelo has been fighting at his own weight class 155 for the past 3-4 years. He barely went to 164 for the first time against Chavez JR. Plus Canelo prior had been fighting above 154 and weighing 175+ in the ring on fight night. The dude is clearly at a comfortable weight well above 160. It's not Golovkins fault Canelo chose to fight guys like Amir Khan and Liam Smith. He could have fought anyone - Danny Jacobs, Lemieux, Eubank, Andy Lee, whoever. He chose smaller guys, cool whatever. You also ignore that Canelo reneged on their deal with GGG - they agreed to fight after interim fights but Canelo kept having excuse after excuse and eventually gave up the WBC Middleweight belt. I firmly believe he waited for GGG to get up there in age to fight him. Too much of a coincidence that after GGG's fight with Jacobs he signed on to fight him being that GGG struggled a bit against a slick boxer like Jacobs.

It's only been taking 600 years to unify the titles because Canelo didn't want the fight :skip:

8/26 is playing second fiddle to this fight

GGG VS Canelo will sell more

Come on now, you don't really want to compare Canelo's pro resume to GGG's. :mjlol:
And Canelo has fought professionally from 147-164 and I believe he will eventually get to 168. When Canelo was a welterweight in 2010, GGG was a middleweight. Now he has a chance to take his belts 7 years later which is essentially everything GGG has accomplished in his pro career because he's a 1 division champ. GGGs management might have messed this up big time trying to protect their cash cow. He could be 35 with no belts, no big wins (unless you count Jacobs) and locked into a ghost town at 160.

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
Come on now, you don't really want to compare Canelo's pro resume to GGG's. :mjlol:
And Canelo has fought professionally from 147-164 and I believe he will eventually get to 168. When Canelo was a welterweight in 2010, GGG was a middleweight. Now he has a chance to take his belts 7 years later which is essentially everything GGG has accomplished in his pro career because he's a 1 division champ. GGGs management might have messed this up big time trying to protect their cash cow. He could be 35 with no belts, no big wins (unless you count Jacobs) and locked into a ghost town at 160.

I'm not saying GGG's is any better but

Lets talk about Canelo's resume then starting with...

Carlos Baldomir - 39 year old shot fighter
Matthew Hattan - Moved up in weight and was a shytty boxer anyway
Ryan Rhodes - Still don't know who he is
Alfonso Gomez - Smaller guy who moved up in weight
Kermit Cintron - Mentally unstable guy. Had been in wars with Margarito and lost, lost to Sergio Martinez even though the fight was declared a draw and lastly was the laughing stock in boxing when he embarrassingly fell out the ring fighting Paul Williams. He was the never the same fighter. He was shot
Shane Mosley- 40 year old wayyy past his prime fighter
Josesito Lopez - Come forward type fighter with no defense / Moved up to the middleweight for the first time for Canelo fight
Austin Trout - A legit win for Canelo but it was a close fight
Floyd Mayweather Jr - Enough Said
Alfredo Angulo - Another straight forward slow fighter with no defense coming off a TKO loss
Erislandy Lara - I feel Canelo lost this fight but was rewarded a SD
James Kirkland - Another mentally unstable fighter with problems outside the ring / No Defense straight forward type fighter
Miguel Cotto - 34 Year old past his prime fighter who despite being the smaller man, Canelo was not able knock out
Amir Khan - The man with the glass jaw who moved up two weight divisions for Canelo
Liam Smith - ?
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Just sucks PERIOD

GGG nor Canelo have a better resume than each other but don't hype up Canelo like he's faced the pick of the litter.

Like I said Canelo has fought at his own weight class of 155 and would not fight anybody past this weight. Despite only being 1 pound over the Super Welterweight limit the powers that be held Canelo in the Middleweight rankings because he's the last Mexican superstar and not to mention Golden Boy Promotions last cash cow. He cherry picked all of his opponents and hydrates to 170-180 so of course he'll eventually fight at 168. Like i've said GGG's goal has always been to unify the Middleweight title but ginger has been playing games ducking and dodging. There's nobody else at 160 to fight because GGG has basically whipped out that entire division. He's fought all of his mandatory opponents.

Last edited:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California

Kermit Cintron - Mentally unstable guy. Had been in wars with Margarito and lost, lost to Sergio Martinez even though the fight was declared a draw and lastly was the laughing stock in boxing when he embarrassingly fell out the ring fighting Paul Williams. He was the never the same fighter. He was shot
Josesito Lopez - Come forward type fighter with no defense / Moved up to the middleweight for the first time for Canelo fight
Alfredo Angulo - Another straight forward slow fighter with no defense coming off a TKO loss
James Kirkland - Another mentally unstable fighter with problems outside the ring / No Defense straight forward type fighter
Miguel Cotto - 34 Year old past his prime fighter who despite being the smaller man, Canelo was not able knock out
Amir Khan - The man with the glass jaw who moved up two weight divisions for Canelo
Liam Smith - ?

GGG nor Canelo have a better resume than each other but don't hype up Canelo like he's faced the pick of the litter.

Like I said Canelo has fought at his own weight class of 155 and would not fight anybody past this weight. Despite only being 1 pound over the Super Welterweight limit the powers that be held Canelo in the Middleweight rankings because he's the last Mexican superstar and not to mention Golden Boy Promotions last cash cow. He cherry picked all of his opponents and hydrates to 170-180 so of course he'll eventually fight at 168. Like i've said GGG's goal has always been to unify the Middleweight title but ginger has been playing games ducking and dodging. There's nobody else at 160 to fight because GGG has basically whipped out that entire division. He's fought all of his mandatory opponents.
I agree completely.

While triple g doesn't have the big names on his resume like canelo, triple g faced live dogs like Stevens, David, Danny, brooks, willie monroe. Granted triple g was always a big favorite but that's cuz he's great.

i just find it crazy how anyone can defend him camping out at 155 for YEARS!!! and this is suppose to be a pound for pound fighter :mindblown:

Just imagine triple g in canelo shoes doing that, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I agree completely.

While triple g doesn't have the big names on his resume like canelo, triple g faced live dogs like Stevens, David, Danny, brooks, willie monroe. Granted triple g was always a big favorite but that's cuz he's great.

i just find it crazy how anyone can defend him camping out at 155 for YEARS!!! and this is suppose to be a pound for pound fighter :mindblown:

Just imagine triple g in canelo shoes doing that, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Those are the live dogs? :leostare:

so yall gonna try to discredit Canelo's record, but you're gonna go ahead and try to sneak brook stevens and lemieux like they're any more meaningful than Khan, Angulo, and Kirkland?:leostare:

The difference between Canelo and Golovkin is that Canelo at 27 has already accumulated a better resume than Golovkin at 35.

It's going to be glorious when Canelo gets the chance to dismantle Lemieux. Another blow to Golovkin's terrible resume like when Cotto destroyed Geale.:blessed:

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California

so yall gonna try to discredit Canelo's record, but you're gonna go ahead and try to sneak brook stevens and lemieux like they're any more meaningful than Khan, Angulo, and Kirkland?:leostare:

The difference between Canelo and Golovkin is that Canelo at 27 has already accumulated a better resume than Golovkin at 35.

It's going to be glorious when Canelo gets the chance to dismantle Lemieux. Another blow to Golovkin's terrible resume like when Cotto destroyed Geale.:blessed:

I stand by what I said.

Lol, canelo could have fought David along time ago, David is not small or old enough(yet).

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I stand by what I said.

Lol, canelo could have fought David along time ago, David is not small or old enough(yet).

Nelo skipped Lemieux trash ass, moved up in weight and secured the bag (something Golovkin ain't ever been able to do:lolbron:,) and is about to relieve Golovkin of all his belts.

Lemieux is gonna get his final opportunity to cash out after. Golden Boy just looking out for David, after all.:ehh:

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Nelo skipped Lemieux trash ass, moved up in weight and secured the bag (something Golovkin ain't ever been able to do:lolbron:,) and is about to relieve Golovkin of all his belts.

Lemieux is gonna get his final opportunity to cash out after. Golden Boy just looking out for David, after all.:ehh:

That's a good way to look at it as a canelo fan but I don't buy it.

It's a reason why he camped out at 155 for years.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
GGGs management might have messed this up big time trying to protect their cash cow. He could be 35 with no belts, no big wins (unless you count Jacobs) and locked into a ghost town at 160.
Well to be fair 160 got significantly better in these last 1-2 years. Now it's a solid division with Canelo, GGG, Jacobs, Charlo, Derevyanchenko being the 5 best fighters in it and also having decent second tier fighters like BJS, Monroe, Lemieux or Aleem.
Still not the best division but easily better than like 4 years ago when it was arguably the worst division.

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Liam Smith - ?

Canelo has the better resume. A lot of the greats he fought were a bit long in the tooth but it was also before his prime. There isn't a HOFer anywhere near GGGs resume.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps

Liam Smith - ?

If Canelo loses to GGG, his resume will definitely be a topic of discussion.

I dont think his resume is that great either, and he cant be 1-2 in his 3 biggest fights with a controversial SD vs Lara as his best win...but still retain the same aura of being an elite fighter in the sport imo.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps

GGG's Daniel Jacobs & David Lemieux are = to Canelo's Erislandy Lara & Austin Trout.

1 of them are going to be officially stamped as elite, and the other is going to have to discuss their suspect resume bc GGG cant have a clear loss to Canelo & a controversial win over Danny Jacobs as his best W, followed by David Lemieux....but still retain the aura of an elite fighter imo.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
Canelo's resume is better. That's not even really quetionable

list the 4 best wins of them together, 3 out of 4 will be Canelo's (Lara, Jacobs, Trout, Cotto)

They both have average resumes to me.

Both of their best wins are arguably robberies (Lara & Jacobs), which leads to the best clear win for them is Austin Trout & David Lemieux...not exactly the toughest opposition:jbhmm:

This fight is going to officially stamp one or the other as better...as long as there's no controversies

Status
Not open for further replies.