#GMB: The World Tour

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
So I am married, so no GMB from me (hopefully not ever too). One of the things I have found interesting in discussions about marriage, kids out of wedlock, etc. on the Coli is how people have looked at the Black community's issues with births outside of marriage and lack of marriage as a unique cultural failing that is somehow easily righted by attitudes, shaming, etc.

I don't think people realize how global this is becoming. I noticed this living abroad and later on when I did research on marriage demographics. Globally, in developed and middle income countries, excluding East Asia, Greece & Israel, kids are hard core increasingly being born out of wedlock since the 2000s and especially the 2008 GFC. Also, marriage rates for young women are collapsing, even in traditional Asian societies. The big difference is unmarried women in Asia don't typically have kids (which craters their fertility but that's another discussion).

I guess you can view this as comforting if you thought Black people had a unique pathology leading to all this. But also it is discomforting since there are clearly larger social and economic forces at play that may be out of our control. That makes it harder to fix. If you are interested in more on this from the top view type in "second demographic transition" in Google.

Granted, our numbers are still at the worse end of the spectrum but we have peaked and have trended flat in marriage and kids born out of wedlock while everyone else is on the upward trend. How do you think this changes your ideas on the causes and solutions to our problems? :yeshrug:

chamie-chartPicture1-500px858.png

chamie-chartPicture3-500px.png

20171125_SRC039.png

f6.gif

2-whyyoungpeop.jpg

Hong Kong chart
Chart_Never%20Married%20Females%201986-2015.png