GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN: Senate agrees to 3wk CR; CHIP funded for 6yrs; Feb8 showdown over DACA

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I disagree. :francis:

From 2013

In a Washington Post-ABC poll conducted shortly after the shutdown ended, a majority of Americans (53%) blamed Republicans for the impasse while 29% blamed Obama. In that same poll, just 1 in 3 people said they had a favorable view of the Republican Party -- the lowest that number had been in the history of the poll.

And they'll get blamed now because they control both houses and the White House

Ebonomics

Banned
Daps
Only thing i learned from this is don't put your information on any govt list if your doing anything illegal. DACA immigrants are sweating bullets while, fresh of the boat illegals relaxing.

I dont think the DACA issue is a hill worth dying on for democrats. Trump needs to end it and create something more streamlined for immigration.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
From 2013

In a Washington Post-ABC poll conducted shortly after the shutdown ended, a majority of Americans (53%) blamed Republicans for the impasse while 29% blamed Obama. In that same poll, just 1 in 3 people said they had a favorable view of the Republican Party -- the lowest that number had been in the history of the poll.

Well, let me rephrase that.

Most Americans don't support the GOP anyway, but the segment of the population that keeps voting for them (and that live in the right areas to affect elections) will blame the Dems and keep voting the way they always do. So I guess my point is that I don't think a government shutdown is going to negatively affect the GOP.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From 2013

In a Washington Post-ABC poll conducted shortly after the shutdown ended, a majority of Americans (53%) blamed Republicans for the impasse while 29% blamed Obama.

what? you cited a poll that shows people blame the party who shut it down :mindblown: isnt that the democrats in this case?

i know i'm a low-information poster, but i dont get what you're tryna say :dead:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
what? you cited a poll that shows people blame the party who shut it down :mindblown: isnt that the democrats in this case?

i know i'm a low-information poster, but i dont get what you're tryna say :dead:
People will ALWAYS blame Republicans for government shut downs? That's my best guess.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
breh the democrats are proclaiming that they're shutting down the government over protecting people who are here illegally. if they wanted to shut it down over the tax cut, for example, i would have been OK with it.

shutting down the entire government over a few hundred thousand people who are here illegally is fukking bullshyt :camby:
Hate to say it but I somewhat agree with our cac friend here from a political standpoint.

I believe good intentions are behind it and to add more important nuance to what is being said here, I have some sympathy for kids who were born here and know nothing about Mexico and only know America and are contributing to society. I’m ok with giving them protections if it’s in conjunction with making sure that illegal immigration remains on the decline. They are Americans outside of on paper

At the same time democrats really need to be aware that in the most strict sense no matter how much their hearts bleed that illegal immigration is illegal and quite frankly you don’t have to be conservative to be against it. The more left leaning argument is that illegal immigration is preferred by companies who enjoy being able to use exploitative labor and not adhere to customs and demands usually required by American workers and labor laws. There was an episode of this American life about chicken plants in Alabama and they talked about how many illegal worker didn’t even understand he concept of unionizing and paying union dues and the plant owners used it as an opportunity to dilute the power of the unions. There was another from California about this maid service where Mexican illegal workers were being sexually assaulted by American managers and staff and used their illegal status as a threat against them. This power dynamic undermines worker rights all in the name of saving money.

Most Americans are not overconcerned about dreamer protections and at most I’m apathetic. If it was something like CHIP, voting rights, or something related to healthcare or the tax bill, I would feel more of a connection to a fight.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
ive noticed a trend in here; you're all deflecting from the issue at hand, which isnt DACA. its shutting down the government over DACA
I don't recall you acting this obtuse in the past. The people DACA is protecting are essentially Americans but don't have official US citizenship. They pay taxes, they work and they don't commit crime. These are people who were brought to this country as children and have lived their lives here. Their native lands are foreign to them. Everyone in this country besides Native Americans has an immigrant's past.

You're saying, we should spend twice the ICE budget to deport a bunch of people who contribute to this country and its economy. You're saying, Republicans should be rewarded for doing their usual song and dance of taking a bunch of things off the table while demanding everything, including funding for an impossible wall and increasing an already absurd military budget.

Hey, if you want to join the group think of Trump and Republicans, that's on you. :yeshrug:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't recall you acting this obtuse in the past. The people DACA is protecting are essentially Americans but don't have official US citizenship. They pay taxes, they work and they don't commit crime. These are people who were brought to this country as children and have lived their lives here. Their native lands are foreign to them. Everyone in this country besides Native Americans has an immigrant's past.

You're saying, we should spend twice the ICE budget to deport a bunch of people who contribute to this country and its economy. You're saying, Republicans should be rewarded for doing their usual song and dance of taking a bunch of things off the table while demanding everything, including funding for an impossible wall and increasing an already absurd military budget.

Hey, if you want to join the group think of Trump and Republicans, that's on you. :yeshrug:
so you're just gonna put words in my mouth :dead: what a shytty argument. again, you havent addressed the political ramifications of shutting down the government over DACA. i dont even have a problem with DACA, just dont do that. and im not sorry i feel that way :mjlol::camby:

Which the Republicans chose

:nooooo:
well, thats just blatantly false :dead: