gun questions for a newbie to guns

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
I had never been into guns like that but my place was robbed a few years ago, thankfully I wasn't there, then a few months later my homeboys moms crib had her door kicked in an attempted robbery.

I don't own a piece right now but I was looking at glocks

does the brand name matter as far as glocks ?

I'm looking for something to lay somebody down if I ever have to defend myself, not just wound them

all input would be appreciated brehs

I would rather ask yall than Google it cuz I want answers from real people

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
My first gun was a glock 19 (9mm) my every day carry is a glock 21 (45).

My advise is go to a range and try out different guns. Caliber is nice, but accuracy is nicer which comes with time and practice.

In terms of laying someone down. Every since my training when I first got my permit I like the term stop a threat. Intent just sounds better to me.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Glocks are great weapons.
-Inexpensive (but pricey now due to gouging)
-Easy to maintain
-Extremely rugged and reliable

Glock is one brand, and each model is virtually the same. They have different sizes and calibers. The best one for you depends on what you plan to do with it. For home defense, I'd recommend a 9mm 17 or 19. If you want 45, get the 21.

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
Look at a shotgun as well if just defending the home. Otherwise, there are "copies" of Glocks if needing to save money. Ammo is the main problem (demand>supply).

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
Brands do matter, you generally get what you pay for. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a cheap pistol with no brand recognition. A 9mm has good stopping power, the ammo is inexpensive, and it's readily available. A good inexpensive pistol from a reputable gun manufacturer would be the S&W SD9VE, I recommend that as a first to for everyone but it's only my opinion. Glocks are always a good option but sometimes people don't have Glock money.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Look at a shotgun as well if just defending the home.

a lot of ppl say this to newbies which is why I ended up buying one but it feels like overkill/unwieldy for someone new to guns...god forbid someone breaks into my house, I’m picking up the handgun first...my shotgun has just become a “showpiece” at this point...I know the thought process is burglars will “scatter” as soon as they hear you rack the shottie, but if they’re armed too then you basically just gave them a target in the dark if they can’t see you...I guess it’s good to have it ultimately but it wouldn’t be my first option imo

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
thanks for the input brehs, do you recommend any good official websites to order one incase I can't find it at the gun store ?

what state are you in?

I see you’re a nix fan so if you’re in NYC you’re gonna have a very tough time with being able to keep a gun even if it’s just for home defense

don't live in NY anymore breh

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a lot of ppl say this to newbies which is why I ended up buying one but it feels like overkill/unwieldy for someone new to guns...god forbid someone breaks into my house, I’m picking up the handgun first...my shotgun has just become a “showpiece” at this point...I know the thought process is burglars will “scatter” as soon as they hear you rack the shottie, but if they’re armed too then you basically just gave them a target in the dark if they can’t see you...I guess it’s good to have it ultimately but it wouldn’t be my first option imo
mfs miss with their handgun, it happens regularly. shotgun at least gives even the tiredest mf a good shot if they pointing in the right direction.

:manny:

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
also what would yall suggest for a gun I can carry on me concealed ?