gun questions for a newbie to guns

Daps
I had never been into guns like that but my place was robbed a few years ago, thankfully I wasn't there, then a few months later my homeboys moms crib had her door kicked in an attempted robbery.

I don't own a piece right now but I was looking at glocks

does the brand name matter as far as glocks ?

I'm looking for something to lay somebody down if I ever have to defend myself, not just wound them

all input would be appreciated brehs

I would rather ask yall than Google it cuz I want answers from real people

Everything about this post is sad. Crazy you live somewhere where you feel a gun is needed to protect yourself. Is what it is i guess :yeshrug:

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
this is number one but I don’t want to recommend this to a new user. My home defense is a scorpion evo and I have a Glock 17 with a 33 rd stick mag for the wife with a light

You think they may be too complex for a new shooter? I want the FX-9. A nice AR style PCC but not as expensive as the big names.
Scorpions are bad ass, like most CZ's lol.

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
I didn’t read the thread. Let me tell you this, there are going to be some fake I know guns knowledge on here. See it all the time. I’m licensed to carry in 38 states for well over a decade and I keep forgetting how many guns I actually own.

get a Glock 17 for home defense or a 34 if you wanna get really froggy. They are not the greatest guns in the world but they go bang every time. A lot of guns don’t go bang every time. That is only on TV.
2. ONLY BUY GLOCK MAGS. Don’t buy that cheap Korean crap or magpul. Get the 33 round Glock stick mags for home defense.
Now if you want a home defense AND carry gun. We are having another convo.

Also, have a LIGHT!!!! Don’t shoot at what you can’t see. Don’t want to shot your loved one.

once you pick your gun, I can recommend a light.
Yes these are correct, don't listen to most of the advice people will give because they don't know for real. For home defense you should only be looking at full size pistols, subcompact if you plan to carry but that is the reason why people that carry usually own more than 1 firearm. Subcompacts have way more recoil especially when dealing with a larger caliber, you want as little recoil as possible. A shotgun is also effective but you would have to feel them out in a store or rent at a gun range to see what you are comfortable with. You can even get a "youth" sized. Also a 20 gauge would likely be more effective since your a new shooter.

And yes a light is paramount! This ain't Hollywood so you need to be able to see, a good strong light can also be disorienting to someone because you can see them but they won't be able to see you, like trying to look directly into the sun. Also don't disregard revolvers, they might not look as attractive as a semi-auto but they are effective but you pay upfront because they're usually $400-$800.

Also take a gun safety course:salute:

Superstar
Daps
a lot of ppl say this to newbies which is why I ended up buying one but it feels like overkill/unwieldy for someone new to guns...god forbid someone breaks into my house, I’m picking up the handgun first...my shotgun has just become a “showpiece” at this point...I know the thought process is burglars will “scatter” as soon as they hear you rack the shottie, but if they’re armed too then you basically just gave them a target in the dark if they can’t see you...I guess it’s good to have it ultimately but it wouldn’t be my first option imo

I feel you but a firearms, used for home defense, should already be ready to go. The only preparation should be the thumb or pointer finger safety, the rest is good position and finding targets.

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
thanks for all the input and advice brehs, it's all appreciated, and I'm going to check out the other thread as well

this is why theColi is my favorite site

Mordith

H.E.N.R.Y.
Daps
Reppin
Cobb County
I disagree breh, a 9 is basically a .38

you want something with stopping power, I’d go with a glock 23.

40 cal that’ll knock a mf’s socks off.

the 45 has much more recoil than the 40 and the 40 is much more manageable when shooting.

How did I miss this post? No one who knows anything about guns would have such shyt opinions....:pachaha:

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
thanks for all the input and advice brehs, it's all appreciated, and I'm going to check out the other thread as well

this is why theColi is my favorite site
hit the link in my sig, it's a lil buyer's guide me n a couple other ppl put together

prices aren't gonna be up to date but everything else is still good info, if u got a specific gun in mind i can tell u what the dealer cost on it is, and what u should pay for it

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
if you're just getting a gun to protect your domicile, cop a shotgun first.

easy to use.

if someone actually in your crib it's hard to miss.

i think of hand guns are more for carrying outside the home.
The damage a shotgun would do to an intruder:banderas:

I'd be waiting for the police and coroner with a smile on my face like "he's in here on the living room floor, guys":mjgrin:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If it’s purely home defense fukk a handgun. You wanna make sure you have them outgunned and you have all the advantages. Go with something easy to shoot and easy to kill with. The last thing you want to do is shoot someone and they live....it’s best they die, otherwise you will be tied up in court and lawsuits for years :yeshrug:

Shotgun or AR15

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
first thing is check your state's gun laws and research how licensed gun use cases are litigated, if sus, you may want to consider a stun gun, matchete or sword
Gun suggestions are cool but you gotta go to gun range to get a real feel for what you want

"liberals are conservatives that haven't been mugged yet"...heard variations of this quote years ago, it made me realize that solutions to problems doesn't have a political lean