Haitian Appreciation Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Fellas,

Been trying to find out the name to a Kreyol song for a good decade now. Was wondering f somebody could help me.

My pops used to bump this song every time I rode in his car, that's how I know I'm his son...I play my favorite songs into the ground 24/7 too on some Radio Raheem stuff.

The song title or the singer, please
Song is sung in the same cadence/pattern as "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff

.it's not a cover but is loosely based on the same music.

There is an English version...and a Kreyol version
in the english version the hook goes "Man, you must know"
not sure if it's a full gospel song, but he does mention God several times

song is from early 1980s...cover of single had the singer in greasy Jheri curl shag haircut

Sounds like most of them old school gospel haitian songs. Could be anyone. I cant distinguish it especially since i was never into Haitian gospel. My love for haitian music has always been targeted at the Folklorik genres (racine, Folklore, vodou music) and of course Konpa (Konpa direct, nouvelle generasyon, etc.)

Edit: Look into Freres Dejeans. Sounds like the type of shyt they would do. Is your pops still alive?

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Enjoy the jou mou soup tomorrow, y'all.

How old were you when you found out the reason our families drink that on Jan.1? Did you discover on your own or did a family member explain it to you?
Contrary to what most Haitian-Americans who grew up in the United States think. Soup Joumou is a meal that was traditionally eaten EVERY SUNDAY in Haiti. NOT just Independence day.
Growing up in Haiti it was like clock work:
  • Bouyon on Saturday
  • Soup Joumou on sunday.
NEVER FAILED.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Contrary to what most Haitian-Americans who grew up in the United States think. Soup Joumou is a meal that was traditionally eaten EVERY SUNDAY in Haiti. NOT just Independence day.
Growing up in Haiti it was like clock work:
  • Bouyon on Saturday
  • Soup Joumou on sunday.
NEVER FAILED.

What is that haitian coleslaw called? It's pickled I forget the name.

Lmao I found it. pikliz
haitian-pik-liz-448x336.jpg

1816576.jpg

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Pikliz :ohlawd:

I make it all the time. My friends think mine is hella dope comparred to the restaurants stuff but my mom's is pure fya! Really simple
  • Cabage (shredded)
  • Onions (sliced)
  • Lime juice (very important)
  • Habanero or scotch bonnet peppers (as much as you can handle)
  • Carrots (shredded really thin)
  • Vinegar (dont over do it)
  • Salt (very important)
  • Poivre (just one or two. Not too much)
You can add a variety of other spices if you like but this it the basic one. Every now and then i'll throw in some thinly sliced garlic too. I put pikliz on everything, you hear. Everything!
Hell i'm so haitian i put pikliz on my pizza sometimes. Dont fukkin' judge me :birdman:

Last edited:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

Lmao I found it. pikliz
haitian-pik-liz-448x336.jpg

1816576.jpg
I've never like bell pepper in mine. i dont like the way it gets soggy after a while. But if you're gonna have it fresh (say the day of your party) have at it. I mostly use bell peppers when making Chiktay Moru (another favorite :ohlawd: ). But a lot of people dont put enough lime in there. It's key for the taste. I'd let it all soak in lime for a good hour BEFORE you put in the vinegar.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I've never like bell pepper in mine. i dont like the way it gets soggy after a while. But if you're gonna have it fresh (say the day of your party) have at it. I mostly use bell peppers when making Chiktay Moru (another favorite :ohlawd: ). But a lot of people dont put enough lime in there. It's key for the taste. I'd let it all soak in lime for a good hour BEFORE you put in the vinegar.
If I knew how to make them patties I'd put some of the pikliz in there and go to town.
200.gif

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
BTW if any of yo clones can find a place where i can buy Carole Demesmin's entire discography i'd be forever grateful. Was listening to some of her old old joint last week and realized how much i missed haitian Folklore. I used to listen to some on the BelMusic.net site but they dont have everything plus i wanna be able to download the mp3

Joints like "Fanm D'Haiti" and "Zanset" bring back some good old memories. Then there's also my favorites like "Min rara" and "Tounen lakay" :ohlawd:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
If I knew how to make them patties I'd put some of the pikliz in there and go to town.
200.gif
I only like the morrue patties. But what i hate is that the one restaurant that makes them near me puts a tiny bit of morrue in there :dry:
There is this spot in Miami on West DIxie Hwy near (i wanna say) 115th street that makes good ones with enough morrue on there but they close early

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I only like the morrue patties. But what i hate is that the one restaurant that makes them near me puts a tiny bit of morrue in there :dry:
There is this spot in Miami on West DIxie Hwy near (i wanna say) 115th street that makes good ones with enough morrue on there but they close early
I'm going to have to look into that next time I'm in miami. Haitian food is delicious and it isn't just curry like a lot of the other islands even though I like curry.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Sounds like most of them old school gospel haitian songs. Could be anyone. I cant distinguish it especially since i was never into Haitian gospel. My love for haitian music has always been targeted at the Folklorik genres (racine, Folklore, vodou music) and of course Konpa (Konpa direct, nouvelle generasyon, etc.)

Edit: Look into Freres Dejeans. Sounds like the type of shyt they would do. Is your pops still alive?
Thanks. My father passed when I was in high school. The artist was not Freres Dejeans, but I might be able to find him now by following sites that list FD. Thanks again.

-Interesting point about the diaspora. I know for a fact that many ethnic dishes here vary from what the people in the home country eat. What we know as pizza here isn't what actual people in Italy eat, for example.
What you wrote about jou mou soup might be specific to your region and social class though. My pops is from Au Cap and moms in from L'estere and I've never heard of that soup being a weekly dish. If people from your part of Haiti eat that weekly, do they make special version on Jan. 1 ?

-Haitian pate? Stingy with the meat is an UNDERSTATEMENT. It's a running joke. That old "Where's the Beef?" Wendy's commercial might as well have been about Haitian pate. ahahaahhahaah
They should be advertised as meat flavored or mourre flavored croissants. eheheheheheh
The CEO of Golden Krust passed away recently and in the thread somebody here had the GALL to compare Haitian pate to Jamaican patties. I wanted to reach across the internet and slap that member in the face.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Thanks. My father passed when I was in high school. The artist was not Freres Dejeans, but I might be able to find him now by following sites that list FD. Thanks again.

-Interesting point about the diaspora. I know for a fact that many ethnic dishes here vary from what the people in the home country eat. What we know as pizza here isn't what actual people in Italy eat, for example.
What you wrote about jou mou soup might be specific to your region and social class though. My pops is from Au Cap and moms in from L'estere and I've never heard of that soup being a weekly dish. If people from your part of Haiti eat that weekly, do they make special version on Jan. 1 ?

-Haitian pate? Stingy with the meat is an UNDERSTATEMENT. It's a running joke. That old "Where's the Beef?" Wendy's commercial might as well have been about Haitian pate. ahahaahhahaah
They should be advertised as meat flavored or mourre flavored croissants. eheheheheheh
The CEO of Golden Krust passed away recently and in the thread somebody here had the GALL to compare Haitian pate to Jamaican patties. I wanted to reach across the internet and slap that member in the face.
My cousin's husband is from Au-Cap and he said the same thing i did; practically every Sunday. If your own family didnt make it that sunday your neighbors and the street vendors did. GUARANTEED. Only difference is some people from Au-Cap eat it with kassav whereas people from the south where my mom is from (Aux-Cayes) eat it with bread
Cassav
cassave-34911_w300.jpg

As far as ingredients go: Of course the flavor here and the ones in Haiti will vary. Different ingredients are used to substitute for what's not available here. Like for example many haitians who cook here use american bacon in rice to give it flavo whereas in Haiti they would use enduie. Very different but both pork thus making bacon an acceptable substitute despite the difference.
Enduie
enduie.jpg
Also when Haitians make tomtom (aka african fufu) back home they make it with breadfruit. But here breadfruit is rare and a bit pricey so they use the african version of powedered yam as a substitute for the breadfruit. Otherwise the rest of the dish (okra, meats, seafood, etc) is pretty much the same.

That fresh-off-the-boat nigerian chick i was fukking last year made me some and i would have sworn it was from my mom or my aunt's kitchen. This young little AA chick from New Orleans had her mom make me some gumbo and it's fairly similar except AAs add rice to theirs. It's funny how dishes like that remained throughout the diaspora

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
My cousin's husband is from Au Cap and he said the same thing i did; practically every sunday. If your own family didnt make it that sunday your neighbors and the street vendors did.Only difference is some people from Au-Cap eat it with kassav whereas people from the south where my mom is from (Aux-Cayes) eat it with bread
As far as ingredients go: Of course the flavor here and the ones in Haiti will vary. Different ingredients are used to substitute for what's not available here. Like for example many haitians who cook here use american bacon whereas in Haiti they would use enduie. Very different but both pork thus making bacon an acceptable substitute.
Enduie

Also when Haitians make tomtom (aka african fufu) back home they make it with breadfruit. But here breadfruit is rare and a bit pricey so they use the african version of powedered yam as a substitute for the breadfruit. Otherwise the rest of the dish (okra, meats, seafood, etc) is pretty much the same.

That fresh-off-the-boat nigerian chick i was fukking last year made me some and i would have sworn it was from my mom or my aunt's kitchen. This young little AA chick from New Orleans had her mom make me some gumbo and it's fairly similar except AAs add rice to theirs. It's funny how dishes like that remained throughout the diaspora
Thanks again.
I guess we, and most people, grew up eating foods that our moms grew up eating..
I still eat Kassav with (natural) peanut butter to this day.
When I used to lift heavy....I just researched Caribbean foods and found that a lot of it was very nutrient dense. Once you remove the frying and salting part, stuff is very healthy. I didn't have to rely on supplements as a result of tapping into my dietary heritage.

Very interesting that food recipes and preparation survived during slavery as you pointed out. The people talking that Moorish origin stuff most likely hate to read that a lot of our culture markers from West Africa still exist. The book "High on the Hog" and the dvd "Soul Food Junkies" were great pieces of history...and hopefully one day somebody will make versions covering the Caribbean.

What I was getting at in my earlier post though, was that if your people eat jou mou soup regularly, then do they make a special version of it for Jan. 1?

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
What I was getting at in my earlier post though, was that if your people eat jou mou soup regularly, then do they make a special version of it for Jan. 1?
Not really that i can think of. Maybe they add more meat and make more of it since you're likely to have visitors on new year's day.

Another favorite haitian soup of mine is ragoo :ohlawd:. Must have been at the very least 22 years since ive had some. It's like bouyon but without all the spinash and other greens