Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Happy Haitian Flag to all the Haitians worldwide!
ht-1803.gif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Fellas,

Been trying to find out the name to a Kreyol song for a good decade now. Was wondering f somebody could help me.

My pops used to bump this song every time I rode in his car, that's how I know I'm his son...I play my favorite songs into the ground 24/7 too on some Radio Raheem stuff.

The song title or the singer, please
Song is sung in the same cadence/pattern as "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff

.it's not a cover but is loosely based on the same music.

There is an English version...and a Kreyol version
in the english version the hook goes "Man, you must know"
not sure if it's a full gospel song, but he does mention God several times

song is from early 1980s...cover of single had the singer in greasy Jheri curl shag haircut

Did you ever find that track your pops used to have on repeat, BTW?
YES

Interesting story, I picked up some Haitian music lps a few weeks ago at a garage sale.Bought the entire crate. I am archiving a ton of stuff to digital format.
You posed a question to me earlier today about a sample from Wyclef's first solo album. You gave the answer before I was able to dig in the crates. I decided to dig the crates anyway, found the artist

rigaudduverne01.jpg

and I found the song

Last edited:

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
If you understand why the flag changed som many times you'd get the power struggle between blacks and mulattos in Haiti. THus why Duvalier had changed it back to the Dessalines version (red and black with the black on the side of the pole). My dad used to tell me about it but If you pay close attention you'll understand its significance.

I pasted this from the other thread because I ain't want to derail it. But Haitian flag history has always been super interesting to me.

I always been partial to Henri Christophe's version myself. Love the colors and the coat of arms used.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
YES

Interesting story, I picked up some Haitian music lps a few weeks ago at a garage sale.Bought the entire crate. I am archiving a ton of stuff to digital format.
You posed a question to me earlier today about a sample from Wyclef's first solo album. You gave the answer before I was able to dig in the crates. I decided to dig the crates anyway, found the artist

rigaudduverne01.jpg

and I found the song

oh.... I was way off, then. There is a kreyol verion too, BTW.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I just got back from Haiti Friday. I spent three weeks there. I was in Carrefour at my aunt's house.

Man, I was shocked when I got there. From the aerial view alone when landing in PAP I let out a gasp. Seeing all those shanty houses so close to the airport was crazy. The ride to my house though I was just surprised by seeing so much street merchants selling stuff right out in the street. I never seen that before here in the US honestly. I liked the small, hand painted design of lots of stores and stuff. When I got to my house, they all remembered me since I last visited when I was a child(about 5) and I don't remember much if anything. The house I was at had no running water so we had to get water from this well in the ground right in the house. We filled buckets up and used it to either flush toilets or to bathe in the bathtub. The water was COLD. Taking cold showers is no joke when you're used to warm showers all the time but I got used to it. I went to Petition-Ville a few days later and it's nice there. i seen much more white folks out there but even in Carrefour I saw a couple of whites and a cuban dude. The vibe out there is much more lively out there which I miss so much being here back in the US. Waking up every morning hearing merchants go "Dlo Dlo!"or "Byeeeer MABIIII!!" or "5 goud ble!" was a change from the quiet mornings back home. I met a chick out there day 1 who I honestly miss already.
Smashed like 3 times and the third time I SMASHED :ohlawd:. Shorty was real cooperative and attentive most of the time.

I wanted to go to some other cities but I ain't have no car out there and didn't know the roads so I pretty much only went out a few times whenever my cousins were going out. We went to La Piscina an indoor/outdoor pool and a the beach a few times. It was cool. I wanted to take more pictures but not having constant electricity meant my phone couldn't charge during the day and I'd be without a phone for most of the day.

I didn't know the water was sold in plastic bags heavy over there. First day my cousin handed me water i'm like :huh:? Where's the cup"

I can't wait to go back though.