Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
BOIS CAIMAN AUGUST 1791

"The god who created the earth; who created the sun that gives us light.The god who holds up the ocean; who makes the thunder roar. Our God who has ears to hear. You who are hidden in the clouds; who watch us from where you are. You see all that the white has made us suffer. The white man's god asks him to commit crimes. But the god within us wants to do good. Our god, who is so good, so just, He orders us to revenge our wrongs. It's He who will direct our arms and bring us the victory. It's He who will assist us. We all should throw away the image of the white men's god who is so pitiless. Listen to the voice for liberty that sings in all our hearts."

Last edited:

boxfullofjoel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope you guys mind I wanted to share some vacation ics from last year when I went. I will try to upload the,

view

open

Last edited:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Haiti and Cuba have always been linked culturally and through vodou going back centuries. Many Haitian folklore dance groups go on tour in Cuba and draw massive crowds. Plenty of those hatian folklore shows you see on youtube are actually filmed in Cuba

When it comes to music, the places outside of Haiti where haitian music has always been popular have always been Cuba, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Surinam, French Guyana, Ivory Coast, Benin, Mali and the other french speaking african countries.

P.S. Also always remember Fidel Castro and Raoul Castro's god-father is Haitian.

Only other Caribbean people I've met who eat (non sweet) plantains have been Cubans. Apparently, that is why.
Thanks.
FALSE.

Edit: My bad. Well maybe those that YOU met. If you are referring to BOILED green plantains, all caribbean people eat boiled GREEN plantains, period. The traditional universal caribbean breakfast across all islands is boiled green plantains and eggs or green plantains and salf-fiish. Salt-fish is the english term. French/creole speaking caribbean islands (Haiti, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana) call it "morrue". Spanish speaking caribbean islands (Dr, Cuba, Puerto Rico) call it "bacalao".

Callaloo-and-codfish-caribbean-recipe-of-the-week.jpg

if you are talking about FRIED green plantains, Dominicans, Guadeloupeans, Martiniquans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans go hard at bannann pezé just like haitians.
I find it weird that Haitians culture is embraced in Cuba while Cubans in America look down on Haitians.
It's like that in many environments.

Look at it this way: Haitians in the U.S. and Haitians in Haiti are very different and dont always get along either. Not that haitians have ever been known as a group that got along with each other :yeshrug:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I find it weird that Haitians culture is embraced in Cuba while Cubans in America look down on Haitians.
Haitian culture is also embraced in Panama to some degree.

Whenever bands like Tabou Combo is doing a show in your town if you look closely you'll see a lot of Panamanians in the crowd

Last edited:

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
how well do other Antillean Creole speakers understand Haitian Creole?

also whats a good app to learn it? been thinking of trying to learn Creole or French in addition to Spanish

they do actually. Martinique, Guadeloupe, La DOminique, Saint-Croix

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
how well do other Antillean Creole speakers understand Haitian Creole?

also whats a good app to learn it? been thinking of trying to learn Creole or French in addition to Spanish
bro most creole is very close

i once told a haitian colleague of mine that a dude we work with is a god damn hypocrite and i cant stand him...

dude changed his demeanor the next day... he is maurician lol

• Dap
Reactions: Dip