Haitian Appreciation Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I think it was a post about Rep. Mia Love calling Trump out for his comments about Haitians.
Posted it.....saw that it was altered, tried post again...and just took it down
Did you ever find that track your pops used to have on repeat, BTW?

Man, i was browsing through belmizik a few months ago and came across this track i used to love when I was little in Haiti. I kid you not i was overwhelmed by the emotion and i tear rolled down my cheeks, breh. It was an old song called "bateau negrier" ('slave ship' in english) by Carol Demesmin as it turns out. Lyrics go "Slave ships oh dear slave ships. Please show me where/what country you dropped off the rest of my family...blah blah blah..I wanna have a family reunion" Thing is that part of the song is a few minutes into it so i didnt recognize it when i would just listen for a few seconds at the beginning and skip it. I had seen her perform it live when i was little and that song just stuck with me as she explained that we're all brothers and cousins now speaking different languages referencing other blacks in the diaspora.

I's amazing how music we grew fond of growing up stays lodged into our minds

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Did you ever find that track your pops used to have on repeat, BTW?

Man, i was browsing through belmizik a few months ago and came across this track i used to love when I was little in Haiti. I kid you not i was overwhelmed by the emotion and i tear rolled down my cheeks, breh. It was an old song called "bateau negrier" ('slave ship' in english) by Carol Demesmin as it turns out. Lyrics go "Slave ships oh dear slave ships. Please show me where/what country you dropped off the rest of my family..." Thing is that part of the song is a few minutes into it so i didnt recognize it when i would just listen for a few seconds at the beginning and skip it. I had seen her perform it live when i was little and that song just stuck with me as she explained that we're all brothers and cousins now speaking different languages referencing other blacks in the diaspora.

I's amazing how music we grew fond of growing up stays lodged into our minds
Thanks, never found the song but will update and post it here when I find it.
Going to look up the song you mentioned. That sentiment is one that I've always held..and history proves it to be right. The sorrow of never seeing your family again. I mentioned on this site before that one scene guaranteed to make me cry is one that I didn't catch fully as a kid. From Roots.Not the physical abuse or whipping. There's a scene where Kunta is in America already.....he captures a butterfly and gives him a message and sends him off to tell his family.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

@Intruder v3.0 what is the song at 3:00, I can't figure it out worth a damn :damn:

REP on sight for whoever can identify it!
I've heard this before:jbhmm:
Kinda sounds like Eric Virgal but sounds too new to be him. Could be Jacky Rapon Jean-Michel Rotin

Edit : I'll get back to you on this. My homegirl Yanik or Djenane might know. I'm sure I heard this at one of their houses

Last edited: