has scorsese ever surpassed the godfather, the godfather part 2 and apocalypse now?

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Goodfellas is right up there with the Godfather films.

I've actually watched Goodfellas more than both Godfathers. It's more entertaining.

But if I had to rank them, GF 2&1 over Goodfellas.....by a c*nts hair.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
:russ: Yo I swear I was thinkin the same thing, but why? Maybe its because of the themes of family throughout the film:ohhh:

:ehh: That may very well be it. It's always around November/December. I'm always like "I need to get The Godfather films out and watch them." Nothing screams Christmas more than films about a family and their crime syndicate empire. :russ:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'd put Goodfellas on the same tier with Apocalypse Now which is just a tier below Godfather 1 and 2. I don't think he's matched that yet but that's also not bad. How many people can say they've made something like Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, or Raging Bull or Wolf of Wall Street?

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
Gf1 and 2 are perfect 10s

Scorsece got like 2 10s and a buncha 9s in his catalog

Gf was just beautiful filmmaking with an all star cast.

Scorcese prolly my top 3 director tho. Departed and goodfellas are on a similar level tho JUST. Below gf1n2

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't think The Departed is on that level. It's a very good movie but it's also a remake so I gotta take a lil bit off plus it's just more stylish in a way where it's a little bit overproduced, I think the writing is very good and the acting for the most part is great but it's just not classic status to me.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Hellllll noooooo

Scorcese doesn't create universes like Coppola, he creates focused Studies of particular characters and situations. I actually believe Coppola is of a higher caliber... him and Kubrick... Tarantino has that level of vision too but he's just not a serious person:pachaha:

Tarkovsky is almost on that level too... he's the bridge between the greats (scorcese, Spielberg, Truffaut, Tarantino) and the geniuses

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Those films are impossible to "surpass" cause they're pretty much of the highest quality, but I rate Taxi Driver on that level too and Goodfellas just a half step behind

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Goodfellas is much more fun to watch. I can watch that any time of the day, week, or year. The Godfather (1 and 2)? I have to be in a certain mood and it's ironically around the holidays. The Godfather is probably the better film, but I watch Goodfellas more.

:russ: Yo I swear I was thinkin the same thing, but why? Maybe its because of the themes of family throughout the film:ohhh:
they usually have Godfather marathons on during the holidays, so that is probably why.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i just found out that Richard Castellano, the actor who played Clemenza, was the nephew of Paul Castellano, the boss who got shot at Sparks by John Gotti and his people :ohhh:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Goodfellas is really close but I think Godfather 1/2 having amazing soundtracks of their own that match the amazing visuals and acting make it feel next level.