HBCU instructor accused of anti-blackness over banning students from wearing hoodies & coochie cutter shorts to class

North of Death

All Star
Daps
I don’t see the hoodies as an issue especially if they aren’t up during class but this ain’t true hoodies wasn’t even popular up until the 80s/90’s. In old pics you almost never see hoodies worn casually.
it definitely was popular in Tallahassee Florida in the mid-2000s

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
A professor can't impose a dress code for his individual class. Plus the syllabus is handed out at the first class. He didn't even see what his students were wearing he just put his own responsibility politics on them. I doubt any females showed up wearing coochie cutters.

I've had 7:30 am classes and people showed up in pajamas with a cup of coffee. No one cared and no one's learning was hindered.
They do it in business classes all the time.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
White boys and other races are rocking durags too.

UNT-Durag-Day.jpg

UNT even has a Durag Day

To kick off their Homecoming week, many of the University of North Texas‘ black student body participated in Durag Day — and yes it’s as ridiculous simple as it sounds. The premise? Wear your favorite durag or bonnet around campus.

We’re not entirely sure what the point was, other than to “come together” as a culture on a campus that’s primary white, but even I, as 30-something black woman rolled my eyes at the thought of us walking around with bonnets and durags on for fun. Especially when the President of the University, Neal Smatresk, decided to participate.

Nevermind what the school is doing but I don't understand the issue people have with durags. If you want to walk around casually with one do it. It doesn't impact anyone's life so why do you care?

Like it or not it's cultural and some people like it as part of their style. Let people express themselves. There's no reason to demonize a durag or scrutinize everything we do. If you're not at a formal event wear what you want.

Only thing I have an issue with is hoodies

Everything else shouldn't be there

What's the problem with hoodies? When it's chilly out that's what people wear and every school sells their own hoodies.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
My waves are terrible in my 30s and I wear Durags to sleeps sometimes :mjcry: Im convinced I’ve damaged my natural “good” hair trying to get the ginuwine s curls:mjpls:

Durags create buttahs or a tie down.
If you want waves.
Get your hair cut even with the grain and wear a stocking cap.

Stocking caps make waves.
Durags just tie down hair.
Most people with durags unknowingly are working on buttahs talembout waves.

With that said.
In the winter time in the chi.
I wear a durag under the skullie for fashion.

After I get my waves right in my stocking cap earlier in the morning.
So keep rocking a durag for a look.
Nuffin wrong with that either.
I still do it and know my waves not gon be better in them.

Art Barr

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Make them wear uniforms if they want to attend University

Hoodies are for athletes and bums

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's the problem? :jbhmm:

Sounds like he wants his students to dress professional. These are young adults we talking about getting ready for the business world. There's a time and place for all of those things outside of a professional setting.
If you want your students to dress professionally, you can just put that into the syllabus. Although I think it is none of an instructors business what students dress like. Just teach your class and mind your own business. fukk this conservac00n respectability bullshyt.