Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
I understand, feeling a way about sampling when it comes to the financial aspects of it in this day and age...But hating on the art of sampling in itself? It's not creative? It's Lazy? Producers should learn a traditional instrument? fukk outta here....:mjlol:

I went back to watch this throwback vid of my man Ski walking us thru the making of Dead Presidents. And the comments are filed with a bunch of snob ass nikkas hating hard on how simple the track is...It is relatively simple, granted..But still...The disregard some supposed "Hip Hop" fans have for the art of sampling is criminal. Not all sampling is looping the best part of an obvious sample and just throwing drums on the shyt....Cole did that shyt all through out Born Sinner and that shyt had me like...:scust:"You lazy ass nikka."

Around what time did this contempt for sampling in Hip Hop "fans" arise? @TEKBEATZ :francis:

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
It started after Biggie died, when Diddy/Mase was blowing up. When they was taking easily recognizable hit records and just looping them.

It kinda broke when he sampled Led Zepplin's "Kasmir" for "Come With Me" off the Godzilla soundtrack. SOOO much shyt was talked about that song.

You see the No ID quote where he was talking about how he heard quincy jones claim that music nowadays was just "4 bar loops"?

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
It started after Biggie died, when Diddy/Mase was blowing up. When they was taking easily recognizable hit records and just looping them.

It kinda broke when he sampled Led Zepplin's "Kasmir" for "Come With Me" off the Godzilla soundtrack. SOOO much shyt was talked about that song.

You see the No ID quote where he was talking about how he heard quincy jones claim that music nowadays was just "4 bar loops"?

You're right...Sample choices in some of those big records back then sorta ruined the reputation of sampling among the more casual Hip Hop fans who aren't pivy to the production side of things...Everyone heard that Isley Brothers joint growing up and to hear the track hardly touched, and just with a synth on top of it...It wasn't something "new" in their eyes. It was an obvious loop of an obvious and popular throwback joint.

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
i see the comments, typical 'well i recreated that easily' ass dudes

1. you didnt do it on hardware
2.Ski has made his living off music for 25 years, you dont

would be my basic counterpoint. everyone can write fire shows/make fire music etc etc but when it comes to content its 'ive been doing other things!'

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
i see the comments, typical 'well i recreated that easily' ass dudes

1. you didnt do it on hardware
2.Ski has made his living off music for 25 years, you dont

would be my basic counterpoint. everyone can write fire shows/make fire music etc etc but when it comes to content its 'ive been doing other things!'
And 90% of the folks who "recreate it easily", it sounds like ass because they don't actually have any musical understanding.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
At the end of the day, there's a craft to sampling. Yes straight loops might make for great music in the end, but those producers maybe shouldn't get extra credit for the "beat". That said, there's a lot of very creative dudes who can sample, chop, flip and layer the shyt out of a rare sample or a common one and they get more props from me than a producer who downloaded an "ATL trap" sound pack and followed a YouTube tutorial on how to program stuttering hi-hats to sound like everyone else

It's all about the craft and how creative you can be with what you have. That's why RZAs early work gets so much praise. The craft was sublime given the sound and technology available at the time. It may seem like nothing today, but damn that shyt was brilliant and changed the entire landscape

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
And I think Cole's sampling on those two tracks is lazy because he's basically recycling two well known hip-hop beats and not doing them any differently. Unlike like say, a Dilla, who would constantly use shyt that had already been sampled but do it completely differently just to flex on dudes (IE Lyrics To Go-->Can't Hold The Torch). Hell sometimes he'd redo samples that he already flipped himself :lolbron:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Mannie Fresh and cash money

Manny Fresh came from a sample dependent BOUNCE background, and he still samples.
Keyboard producers used to be cheesy and overly digitized, so their selling point was "musicianship" and "you don't have to clear".. playing INTERPOLATIONS of previously recorded material, and making them sound worse, since tech wasn't up to par back then.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
At the end of the day, there's a craft to sampling. Yes straight loops might make for great music in the end, but those producers maybe shouldn't get extra credit for the "beat". That said, there's a lot of very creative dudes who can sample, chop, flip and layer the shyt out of a rare sample or a common one and they get more props from me than a producer who downloaded an "ATL trap" sound pack and followed a YouTube tutorial on how to program stuttering hi-hats

It's all about the craft and how creative you can be with what you have. That's why RZAs early work gets so much praise. The craft was sublime given the sound and technology available at the time. It may seem like nothing today, but damn that shyt was brilliant and changed the entire landscape
The sampling I find myself being most blown away by are cats like Dilla or Just Blaze who can take a large portion of a track and just completely rearrange it into something new. Some of those Just Blaze flips, especially the epic ones have me like ":mindblown:". Even if they're leaving the loops relatively untouched, the understanding of sequencing and progression is on another level.