Hoodoo Was Immensely Feared Back in The Day & Other Vintage Newspaper Clippings

Discussion in 'The Root' started by xoxodede, Jan 13, 2019.

1. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Emancipator, 03 Apr 1920, Sat, Page 1

[​IMG]
    Okolona Messenger, 05 Jun 1907, Wed, Page 7

[​IMG]
    The Montgomery Advertiser, 21 Jan 1966, Fri, Page 14

[​IMG]
    The Abbeville Times, 02 Jan 1908, Thu, Page 2

[​IMG]
    The Montgomery Advertiser, 11 Sep 1952, Thu, Page 7

[​IMG]
    The Morning Mercury, 28 Mar 1906, Wed, Page 1

[​IMG]
    The Montgomery Advertiser, 16 Feb 1900, Fri, Page 7

@Black Haven - Hope you like!

Daredevil, IllmaticDelta, nate* and 12 others dapped this.
  2. Black Haven

Black Haven We will find another road to glory!!!

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

I'm not a Hoodoos practitioner lol but yeah hoodoo was widely practiced in the AA community back then compared to now.I'm not sure why it dwindled but my guess is maybe because we intergrated with whites?

Daredevil, kayslay, Kane and 6 others dapped this.
  3. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

[​IMG]
    The Moulton Advertiser, 05 Apr 1894, Thu, Page 1

Tony_Bromo, fairfax12, Carolina and 2 others dapped this.
  4. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

Whites have literally claimed it as their own these days. This white jewish lady who married a Black dude owns the largest website about Hoodoo.

Hoodoo - Conjure - Rootwork: -- Definition and History

It's really sad.

But, It still is in many Black households -- but sadly - those who had family members who practiced they didn't pass on the info.

5. gogogubari

gogogubari Mjpls I'm already black Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    YERDMEH
    Coli Cash:
    $199500.00

My guess is that since the whites were afraid, they started to smear any religion that wasn’t like theirs. I mean, a journalist actually reported that a horned newborn told its mother that she was gonna be fukked up for 7 years. Unbelievable. Sensational, even.

You know they still do that to Black people today.

Daredevil, nate*, King Khufu and 10 others dapped this.
  6. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

I am going to add more links soon.

It's SO many it's ridiculous. I found so many about "conjurers" -- very interesting stuff.

nate*, Tony_Bromo, HarlemHottie and 6 others dapped this.
  7. Black Haven

Black Haven We will find another road to glory!!!

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

That seems to be the case but I do remember hearing somewhere that AA still practice it without even knowing it. Like for instance I didn't even know that women putting period blood in their spaghetti to control a man was a form of hoodoo, I used to hear older women doing that alot as a kid.

King Khufu, AggieLean., tuckdog and 3 others dapped this.
  8. xoxodede

xoxodede Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Michigan/Atlanta
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

Found this gem today.

From Natchez Gazette, 12 Oct 1822, Sat, Page 2. News article about Denmark Vesey and Gullah Jack. Must have been wrote the day after everything happened.
    [​IMG]

AggieLean., Tony_Bromo, T'krm and 5 others dapped this.
  9. Carolina

Carolina The Dog Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1160.00

MSGenWeb Library  Slave Narrative Project Julius Jones - Coahoma County

10. AlainLocke

AlainLocke Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

It's because Hoodoo was considered devil's work by some...outside the standard Baptist practices...I figure most Black people won't be into other stuff...

I think Catholicism is easier for syncretism...while Protestantism is not...Hoodoo was folk magic rooted in Protestantism while Catholicism has Santeria, Voodoo and etc...

Plus Hoodoo was a Southern thing and we moved from the South to all over and practices get loss...

Hoodoo is still a thing in the deep deep deep rural South...

Azik, nate*, King Khufu and 11 others dapped this.
  11. Carolina

Carolina The Dog Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1160.00

This might interest you.

Hoodoo Conjuration WItchcraft & Rootwork : Harry Middleton Hyatt : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Full text of "Hoodoo Conjuration WItchcraft & Rootwork"

Not only is her site filled misinformation, her and many others are trying rewrite the history of hoodoo. They're trying to rebrand it as "European folk magic"

:francis:

12. im_sleep

im_sleep All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Not quite integration but increased exposure to first world modern healthcare IMO.

Younger generations began taking their chances going to the hospital than dealing with Hoodoo. Now there’s people who still do in regards to finance, romance, revenge, and shyt like that, but the medical side of it not as much which is a big part of it.

I think with the increased slashing of social programs, increased cost of healthcare, and renewed distrust in the current healthcare system, we could see a revival tho.

IllmaticDelta, xoxodede and Black Haven dapped this.
  13. im_sleep

im_sleep All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Lol my bullshyt meter went off within a minute of seeing that website. That’s why I’m skeptical about a lot of these online folks and who they’ve gotten their info from.

I defintely wouldn’t trust shyt coming from white folks.
    :mjlol:
    Even the ones who were going to see the real deal Hoodoo Man/Woman back in the day thinking they were getting something passed on to them were getting hustled to break open them pockets, so whatever they got sold on was likely bs.
    :lolbron:

14. Get These Nets

Get These Nets Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Great points about the distinctions between African spiritual systems in protestant versus catholic colonies.
    The saints/icons in Catholicism provided a parallel and shield for the Africans to continue following what they follow

==========
    Slavers wanted to strip the Africans of whatever culture they had and surely they told them(us) that they were right....and that we were wrong & worshiping the devil.

I'm sure the success of the Haitian Revolution, where the Africans drew strength from breaking away from "the god of the whites" made slavers go into overdrive with the "don't worship the devil" talk.
    Pop culture in the form of literature, then radio shows then films planted the idea of "Haitian voodoo savages and zombies" into the minds of people over the past 100 years. This surely had an effect on how people viewed hoodoo. The failure of Haiti as a country also probably served to reinforce the narrative that Christianity was a superior system.

Speaking of voodoo, one of the things that keeps people away today is the corruption of the belief system. Whatever the total system(s) were about.....love, connection with nature, human relationships etc....have been overwhelmed by the negativity..... the "put roots on" "put curse on""punish this person" aspect of it. I'd like to believe that it is about much than that, but the only times I hear it referenced is in that context. Not from outsiders either.

15. AlainLocke

AlainLocke Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

Also there is no voodoo bible and becoming a practitioner requires initiation and initiation ain't free...

Voodoo/Santeria and etc ain't a religion you just read about and then convert...it's not as safe...psychologically since it does require possession...so you really can't get into the religion without belonging to a house..

African gods aren't really nice sky daddy type gods...they are closer to Greek gods...and have distinct outrageous personalities...A lot of people in the occult are scared of Voodoo and Santeria and don't fukk with any of the gods in it because the gods aren't to be played around with...without proper license..

Voodoo and other Afro-American religions is really just ancestor worship and pantheism...but I think the whole cursing aspect of the religion is similar to any other magickal system I've studied...scary shyt is meant to keep those that won't be a good fit away...it takes a lot of money and time to get into Afro-American religions if you ain't growing up in it...

Hoodoo however don't really incorporate African gods and there is no need for initiation...