How has having an MBA or other Graduate degree helped your career?

sfgiants

BANNED
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it got me my current job + higher salary. i was midway through my degree when i got hired, pay raise was contingent on me actually graduating.
from what ive heard from ppl, a PMP + experience is almost as good and a lot cheaper if you're going the management route. i eventually got the pmp for free from my current job so i have both now :mjgrin:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I can’t speak for myself But a girl I graduated with worked one year at the White House, went back to SJU for her MBA ( in Marketing) and is now working as a VP in marketing for some startup named money lion.

Last edited:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I find it hard to justify spending over 50k with no guarantee on return on investment. I'd rather have the PMP like others have said. I just got a lean six sigma belt for free thru my job.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I find it hard to justify spending over 50k with no guarantee on return on investment. I'd rather have the PMP like others have said. I just got a lean six sigma belt for free thru my job.

Make sure your school is either reputable or has a reputable program with a pipeline. Otherwise, you’re a dumbass.

I was gonna do it online, of course. At a real school, but one that offers an Online MBA. Also, I'm looking only at the ones that cost less than $8K.

I don't think where you get it matters as much as having it, generally speaking. There are exceptions

kovi

All Star
Daps
I was gonna do it online, of course. At a real school, but one that offers an Online MBA. Also, I'm looking only at the ones that cost less than $8K.

I don't think where you get it matters as much as having it, generally speaking. There are exceptions

On the contrary, it matters quite a bit, especially when it comes to a business degree. Go ahead since it's cheap tho :francis::yeshrug:

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Sorry breh, but this is wrong.

Save yourself a couple grand and just watch business videos online if this is going to be your approach.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Sorry breh, but this is wrong.

Save yourself a couple grand and just watch business videos online if this is going to be your approach.
That's just been what I've seen.

In order to qualify for a position you might need an MBA, but once you have it on your resume it's more about if you know what you're doing.

Schooling matters if you're applying somewhere where you don't anyone and no one knows your work/worth. If you have a network of people that already respect you they don't care what school you got your shyt at as long as you meet the criteria for them to hire.

But I don't want to be closed minded or anything. Tell me from your experiences why you feel that it matters so I can learn the other side too

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
There's levels to the MBA

1. Elite Top 25 MBA - really no brainer here, except for the funding. You have to be a hotshot or work in a fast paced industry to get an employer to pay for it. And if you pay for it yourself it's gonna run you $75K-$100K. However, the opportunities coming out these programs will have you set.

2. Middle of the road MBA - Depends on what field you're in and how you want to catapult your career. I work with a lot of people with these type MBA's that are corporate directors and VP's 5-10 years earlier than it would have been if they didn't have the degree. But there's more risk depending on what field you are in. I've seen guys that got that type MBA and have really not moved up much since, an it only serves as a mild resume booster.

3. Low level MBA- Worthless if you are in a strong position already. Say you're a Brand Manager at P&G. It would serve no value. However, people stuck in clerical type roles, it can help you get your feet in the door on a legit corporate job. I have a low level MBA and I'd probably be working in accounts receivable or customer service without it. Instead I have a six figure corp finance job.

4. "Questionable" MBA (i.e University of Phoenix, other online commercial programs) - This one I really don't know. Maybe if you are a police officer or work at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and you want to just get in the world of business.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
There's levels to the MBA

1. Elite Top 25 MBA - really no brainer here, except for the funding. You have to be a hotshot or work in a fast paced industry to get an employer to pay for it. And if you pay for it yourself it's gonna run you $75K-$100K. However, the opportunities coming out these programs will have you set.

2. Middle of the road MBA - Depends on what field you're in and how you want to catapult your career. I work with a lot of people with these type MBA's that are corporate directors and VP's 5-10 years earlier than it would have been if they didn't have the degree. But there's more risk depending on what field you are in. I've seen guys that got that type MBA and have really not moved up much since, an it only serves as a mild resume booster.

3. Low level MBA- Worthless if you are in a strong position already. Say you're a Brand Manager at P&G. It would serve no value. However, people stuck in clerical type roles, it can help you get your feet in the door on a legit corporate job. I have a low level MBA and I'd probably be working in accounts receivable or customer service without it. Instead I have a six figure corp finance job.

4. "Questionable" MBA (i.e University of Phoenix, other online commercial programs) - This one I really don't know. Maybe if you are a police officer or work at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and you want to just get in the world of business.

Online MBA from a top 10 school - Top-Ranked Online MBA | Tepper School of Business | Carnegie Mellon University

YamakaSmacker

Banned
Daps
The money spent on that degree will get better returns if you put it on stellar lumen

:troll:

But I've seen cases where a post grad means nothing if it's not a well known school. That may just be law.