How would you "bring back the jobs?"

无名的

Superstar
Daps
:dwillhuh:

Did you get hacked?

Trump hasn't focused on anything though. His "jobs" plan is just a call and respond chant at his rallies. He can't even read let alone develop a plan to revive America's employment. I think a lot of the worries about automation are overblown. There's still a lot of work that needs to be done by people. Problem is the govt has not done a good job at reallocating labor and facilitating the retraining of people.

Trump is right in that we are often at an unfair competitive disadvantage against manipulative countries like China and don't always have favorable trade deals that benefit America. There are steps that can be taken to bring some jobs back, but at the end of the day, we can't stop globalization and I realize that, as I'm sure he does.

As for automation... I'm afraid for the future. Just as we didn't fully understand the scope of change that would come with the Internet, it's hard to fathom how robots will change our lives in the distant future. That said, perhaps the jobs being replaced will create just as many new jobs that we haven't envisioned yet and we'll be OK.

This is just one example and maybe it has been debunked... don't remember looking into a follow up analysis and I'm sure there are other projections out there, but seeing BoE predicting up to half of jobs gone in the next decades is terrifying and needs to be seriously considered by politicians or else Jerry Brown is right... expect war.

Robots could steal 80 million US jobs: BoE

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Trump is right in that we are often at an unfair competitive disadvantage against manipulative countries like China and don't always have favorable trade deals that benefit America. There are steps that can be taken to bring some jobs back, but at the end of the day, we can't stop globalization and I realize that, as I'm sure he does.

As for automation... I'm afraid for the future. Just as we didn't fully understand the scope of change that would come with the Internet, it's hard to fathom how robots will change our lives in the distant future. That said, perhaps the jobs being replaced will create just as many new jobs that we haven't envisioned yet and we'll be OK.

This is just one example and maybe it has been debunked... don't remember looking into a follow up analysis and I'm sure there are other projections out there, but seeing BoE predicting up to half of jobs gone in the next decades is terrifying and needs to be seriously considered by politicians or else Jerry Brown is right... expect war.

Robots could steal 80 million US jobs: BoE
I mean through every transformation people predicted that there would be mass unemployment and war.... in the short term there will always be losers when there is change. I think the main problem today is now with the internet and social media making everything so transparent people are a lot more cognizant of how they are being screwed over. But at the end of the day it's kind of a waste of time to make projections. If anyone really knew what changes were coming to affect employment they'd be hedge fund managers :biggapls:

We definitely don't understand the scope of change that is coming, which is fine. We never have, but it's fine. If there's anything humans can do it's adapt. We will figure it out. Where I think we fall short is in facilitating that adaptation. If an industry dies or a company shuts down there is no reason we shouldn't be looking to deploy that labor somewhere else as soon as possible. Help people relocate and all that. Retrain them to the new tasks. There's a lot of work to be done. If war comes it will come from the fact that the rich are needlessly hoarding and taking advantage of everyone below them. I am all for people accumulating wealth but not if it comes at undermining the employment and financial prospects of millions of people. I'm not super worried though, even with a Trump win. Etrade account on deck :demonic:

CHL

Superstar
Daps
post-59851-idi-amin-laughing-gif-imgur-3xRZ.gif

You seriously dapped a post where a guy suggested the US provokes China into a war...

Yeah that would end unemployment all right

nuclear-atom-bomg-explosion-animated-gif-5.gif
Do you agree with 100% of every post you dap? :ehh:Do you also take every post literally, never recognizing any comments as being facetious? :ohhh:

brick james

John piffington
Daps
I mean through every transformation people predicted that there would be mass unemployment and war.... in the short term there will always be losers when there is change. I think the main problem today is now with the internet and social media making everything so transparent people are a lot more cognizant of how they are being screwed over. But at the end of the day it's kind of a waste of time to make projections. If anyone really knew what changes were coming to affect employment they'd be hedge fund managers :biggapls:

We definitely don't understand the scope of change that is coming, which is fine. We never have, but it's fine. If there's anything humans can do it's adapt. We will figure it out. Where I think we fall short is in facilitating that adaptation. If an industry dies or a company shuts down there is no reason we shouldn't be looking to deploy that labor somewhere else as soon as possible. Help people relocate and all that. Retrain them to the new tasks. There's a lot of work to be done. If war comes it will come from the fact that the rich are needlessly hoarding and taking advantage of everyone below them. I am all for people accumulating wealth but not if it comes at undermining the employment and financial prospects of millions of people. I'm not super worried though, even with a Trump win. Etrade account on deck :demonic:

Automation of all manual labor will happen in our lifetime. It's easy enough to predict that in the future robots can perform all menial tasks better than a working class person. The two questions that are unanswered are when will that be and how will the upper class react. I see a totally plausible future where the upper class pays humans to do manual labor to keep crime rates down and community morale high.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Print more money or create new industries

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Automation of all manual labor will happen in our lifetime.
Based on what? Robots replace menial tasks, then humans will move to do what they can't. This is how it was worked every time some technological innovation upended how we do work and I have yet to see how it will be different this time.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Based on what? Robots replace menial tasks, then humans will move to do what they can't. This is how it was worked every time some technological innovation upended how we do work and I have yet to see how it will be different this time.

Agreed, but policy will lag far behind the advancements of automation. There will be a "float" period where the technological advancements in automation outpace societies capacity to deal with it properly. Lots of people will hurt during this time.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There is no shortage of jobs, only people "qualified" enough to do them so I would tie completion of certain educational credentials to well-paying jobs.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Agreed, but policy will lag far behind the advancements of automation. There will be a "float" period where the technological advancements in automation outpace societies capacity to deal with it properly. Lots of people will hurt during this time.
Policy has always lagged behind the advancements of technology. That is how it should work. Society will figure out how to use automation just as it has with everything else.

If policy can improve anywhere, it's in slowing inequality. But that is hardly a problem exclusive to automation. We are struggling with it now during 4% unemployment.

brick james

John piffington
Daps

Based on the progress of technology. Driving, manufacturing jobs, and any other blue collar job that doesn't need a HS diploma that doesn't have a customer service aspect can easily be replaced by robots right now. The only issue is price which is dropping slowly, and steadily.