I don't understand Nas being compared to Rakim. He's basically Kool G Rap 2.0

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
It was mostly the mysterious aura that NAS portrayed when he first debuted as an artist which drew comparisons to Rakim

Along with his 5% mystique mixed with gritty NYC street realities that drew strong parallels to Rakim

"New york metropolis, the bridge brings apocalypse
Shoot at the clouds feels like, the holy beast is watchin us
" -NAS

"I learn to relax in my room and escape from New York then return to the womb of the world as a thought...thinking how hard it was to be born..me being cream with no physical form"- RAKIM

Its those mystical urban based rhymes which had many like myself looking at NAS as "The Second Coming" of the God Mc (rakim)

Even though the OP is right Nas is more similar to G rap in terms of lyrical delivery as displayed on NEW YORK STATE OF MIND....

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Nas has pretty much stated that his influences coming up were Rakim, MC Shan, and Kool G. Rap.

Rakim for the 5% Lingo and deep philosophical introspection

Shan beicause of the Queensbeidge connection

R. Rap because of the vivid street tales and imagery

It Ain't Hard To Tell....

I'd throw Slick Rick in that conversation, too. He doesn't really sound like any of them though.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nas has pretty much stated that his influences coming up were Rakim, MC Shan, and Kool G. Rap.

don't forget slick rick

Long live the idols, may they never be your rivals
Slick Rick was like Jesus, G Rap wrote the Bible
Now what you're 'bout to hear's a tale of glory and sin
Large Professor's my mentor, that's how the story end

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Nas is nas.
Nas never assailed to being technically proficient or consistently add to his skill set to be compared to Ra or g rap.

Anyone trying to is more than likely a iww nas era fan and already behind the eightball in this discussion.

Art Barr

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

I must be the only person who doesn't see any correlation between Nas' and Rakim's styles. shyt, I even hear a more similar correlation with Nas and Shan, and I don't even think that comparison is close

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Nas don't flow like G Rap, G Rap flowed much faster and Nas could do the multis but that was G Rap's style. AZ and Big Pun are more like Kool G Rap.

Nas is a hybrid of both to be honest and he had a similar lyrical style to Tragedy Khadafi.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
The streets gave Nas that title back in the day. U can do all the breakdowns u want but the streets gave Nas that title and they gave it to Nas because his appeal was remenicent of 80's Rakim.