I feel like taking away cellphones shouldn't be a punishment.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
One of the kids I work with got into a situation today with one of the coaches. The young man (16) got into an argument with a young lady (17) and insults/threats were hurled from both kids. The coach stepped in but instead of telling the kids to calm it down and go their separate ways, he decides to jack up the young man by the collar and force him into the stairwell that has a blind spot. The incident report says the young man was being difficult, defiant and violent. This young man does have behavior problems BUT me and the other staff members know that it takes alot for him to actually get physical with someone.

I went over the incident report with him and let him know that his mother will be contacted but I would like to get his side of the story before we make the call. I told him that it's important to be truthful even if you were wrong because the only way I can truly help him is if he tells me everything right or wrong. He admitted that he did get violent but because the coach jacked him up by the collar and forced him into the stairwell. He admitted that he grabbed the coaches collar and backed him into the wall. He says the (52 year old coach) then threatened to throw him down the stairs and told him "swing boy, gone head try it. You can't take me."

Anyone who has had CPI training knows that what the coach did only escalated the situation. This coach has been in 3 other incidents like this. I advised the young man to next time take a deep breath and walk away. I told him next time the young lady "says something sideways" just walk away or go get one of the instructors in the vicinity. Now the situation with the coach is tricky because the camera in the stairwell was off(suspicious af). I advised him to next time take out his phone and record or to call my number. He said his homeroom teacher has his phone.

Because we are in the era of mass school shootings and immature staff members, I don't think taking away cellphones should be a punishment. Yes kids should respect authority and yes phones can be disruptive but if you confiscate phones they should be given back immediately at the end of class. They should not be held for multiple periods. Times are different.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
but if you confiscate phones they should be given back immediately at the end of class. They should not be held for multiple periods.
I didn't realize people were confiscating phones like that. Yeah, it should only be for that class if the kid is acting up. It's like writing up a kid in one class for acting up in another.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
I didn't realize people were confiscating phones like that. Yeah, it should only be for that class if the kid is acting up. It's like writing up a kid in one class for acting up in another.
Some of these teachers are immature and antagonize. I'm gonna request a meeting because that was ridiculous

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I was in HS, a sub took my phone for texting, and tried to keep it until a parent could come up, unless I told him who the ppl were who walked out of class and didn’t come back (my homies). I said I didn’t know em earlier, so I guess he figured with the ransom he would get me to fold. I told him after class I really didn’t know them, and he changed his mind and gave it back.

I learned my lesson from then on: when there’s a sub, skip class

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
It definitely was. Lessons in deescalation is something that should be stressed in this day and age.
Especially with teenagers. You have to remember that you're an adult and they are learning to be adults. Learning is the key word. You can't challenge them in certain ways because they don't have the maturity of an adult even if they have the physicality. I feel like Especially with young men you can't just put your hands on them and expect shyt to be sweet. Coach was out of line. He could have handled that better

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
And they agree to it? At age 17?

I thought you were talking about elementary students or middle school. At that age I was more or less a man and wouldn't give them sht. that phone is private property

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
And they agree to it? At age 17?

I thought you were talking about elementary students or middle school. At that age I was more or less a man and wouldn't give them sht. that phone is private property
He's a good kid. He got some behavior and emotional issues but he pretty chill for the most part

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
A lot of these teachers are straight up cowards.

On some primal level, they feel the need to emasculate boys on the cusp of manhood.

And my thing with phones is this, if I give my child a phone one of the reasons would be so that I could contact them in an emergency. I would expect a teacher to take it from them in any scenario.

If something happened to my child and they could not get through to me, no amount of pleading from the teacher would stop what I would do to them.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
It depends on the situation. At the harshest, I’ll take a phone and tell them they can pick it up from an administrator. But that’s only if the phone is being an actual problem, not the student. Say a student is snap chatting or sharing videos bullying and shaming other kids and shyt. Yes that phone is getting taken and I’m giving it to an administrator so they can handle that.
To keep them from taking 15-20 minute bathroom breaks I make them leave their phones at their desks while they go.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
OP

So the kid who got in an argument with a girl also had his phone taken away from a homeroom teacher which makes it a separate incident? That student sounds like a handful. Sorry to say this but it sounds like you were cradling bad behavior and it's being emphasized by you asking about phone being taken away. Kids feed off of that and it doesn't help them.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
Disagree. Take it for the whole day if they can not check it. You in school to learn, not to be on that phone.
Nah because that could lead to other problems like this. Also some teachers let kids use their phones if they don't have enough calculators or laptops. I think it's a case by case scenario but overall the phones should be given back after class or the student should be sent out the class if they refuse to focus instead of playing on the phone. Multiple periods is too much

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
OP

So the kid who got in an argument with a girl also had his phone taken away from a homeroom teacher which makes it a separate incident? That student sounds like a handful. Sorry to say this but it sounds like you were cradling bad behavior and it's being emphasized by you asking about phone being taken away. Kids feed off of that and it doesn't help them.
Exactly. And boys need to be check with masculine energy sometimes.

A lot of men go thru it with they sons when they around 17, start feeling themselves and you have to show them who is the leader of the pack. It’s engrained in us as men tbh