I feel like taking away cellphones shouldn't be a punishment.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Nah because that could lead to other problems like this. Also some teachers let kids use their phones if they don't have enough calculators or laptops. I think it's a case by case scenario but overall the phones should be given back after class or the student should be sent out the class if they refuse to focus instead of playing on the phone. Multiple periods is too much
I don’t see how this would have stopped this.

He couldn’t control himself in class, phone taken away

Is arguing with a girl and threats flying

Bracing up to a teacher after being checked out it.

The phone wasn’t gonna save, he was not gonna call you inbetween arguing with a girl and going at it with A teacher.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
OP

So the kid who got in an argument with a girl also had his phone taken away from a homeroom teacher which makes it a separate incident? That student sounds like a handful. Sorry to say this but it sounds like you were cradling bad behavior and it's being emphasized by you asking about phone being taken away. Kids feed off of that and it doesn't help them.
I don't really want to go into the young man background too much but I have my reasons and the other staff know his situation too. I just don't think the situation was handled right from the adults end. Kids are gonna be kids and kids with special needs/behavioral issues are gonna be a handful at times. We all know what we signed up for.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
A lot of these teachers are straight up cowards.

On some primal level, they feel the need to emasculate boys on the cusp of manhood.
That’s a big generalization. As a black male teacher at a predominantly black school, some of these boys can be disrespectful, skip class, come in smelling like Snoop Dogg and sleep their high off all day, etc. I don’t want to have to deal with some 15 year old talking about “I’m not going to listen to you bc I don’t know you.” Honestly I don’t care if you know me, you know the rules, so follow them.
Some of them have problems with authority figures and accountability and school is where they have to learn it if it’s not being taught at home. Or else the streets will fill that void.

And sagging with skinny jeans and colorful drawers on is them emasculating themselves.

You know how emasculating getting a violation in a gang is? Letting people slap you and you can’t do shyt back? Or how about jail where you shower and sleep with other men?

There’s a difference between emasculation and trying to help someone get on the right path.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
My 9th grade world geography teacher still has my Gangstarr "Mass Appeal" cassette single from 30 yrs ago.

We were about to listen to some lecture on those school tape players. She left the room before she was gonna play it, I hurried up and put the mass appeal joint in there, she came back, pushed play and the students started laughing and noddin' to the music. To the students' credit, they didn't rat me out when she asked who the tape belonged to. She was like "ok, I'll just hang on to it" :ld:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. And boys need to be check with masculine energy sometimes.

A lot of men go thru it with they sons when they around 17, start feeling themselves and you have to show them who is the leader of the pack. It’s engrained in us as men tbh
You're just demonstrating why a lot of fathers aren't fit to be in their sons' lives.

This pack mentality. Deep down, it boils down to an insecure man trying to prove he's still got it.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I don't really want to go into the young man background too much but I have my reasons and the other staff know his situation too. I just don't think the situation was handled right from the adults end. Kids are gonna be kids and kids with special needs/behavioral issues are gonna be a handful at times. We all know what we signed up for.
I understand but respectfully disagree. It'll only continue if a kid knows they can act up in school.

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
I don’t see how this would have stopped this.

He couldn’t control himself in class, phone taken away

Is arguing with a girl and threats flying

Bracing up to a teacher after being checked out it.

The phone wasn’t gonna save, he was not gonna call you inbetween arguing with a girl and going at it with A teacher.
He got physical with the teacher AFTER the teacher got physical with him unnecessarily. The kids were trash talking like teenagers do. They weren't fighting. The camera caught that. The camera didn't catch what happened in the stairwell. That's the issue. You can deescalate a situation without putting your hands on anyone. They teach us this every year. That's my issue but I'm taking your perspective in also

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Nah because that could lead to other problems like this. Also some teachers let kids use their phones if they don't have enough calculators or laptops. I think it's a case by case scenario but overall the phones should be given back after class or the student should be sent out the class if they refuse to focus instead of playing on the phone. Multiple periods is too much
Those are the students I challenge the most. Ok you want to act a fool? This assignment was worth 10 points, now it’s worth 30. And I’m calling home. I might call their parents right there in class if the situation calls for it. But putting them out is what they want and I’m not going to reward bad behavior.

I know how to project with a teachers voice, but when I see folks are on their phones ignoring me, I start talking at a regular level voice and remind them I haven’t made the test yet. Keep on keeping on and that test will be like doing astrophysics. That usually gets them right

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
You're just demonstrating why a lot of fathers aren't fit to be in their sons' lives.

This pack mentality. Deep down, it boils down to an insecure man trying to prove he's still got it.
No and that's far from being the truth. Sometimes boys respond to masculine energy. The side talks of telling them to do or act like this or that doesn't work with all students. For some, it'll continue if they know their consequence is a little pep talk.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
That’s a big generalization. As a black male teacher at a predominantly black school, some of these boys can be disrespectful, skip class, come in smelling like Snoop Dogg and sleep their high off all day, etc. I don’t want to have to deal with some 15 year old talking about “I’m not going to listen to you bc I don’t know you.” Honestly I don’t care if you know me, you know the rules, so follow them.
Some of them have problems with authority figures and accountability and school is where they have to learn it if it’s not being taught at home. Or else the streets will fill that void.

And sagging with skinny jeans and colorful drawers on is them emasculating themselves.

You know how emasculating getting a violation in a gang is? Letting people slap you and you can’t do shyt back? Or how about jail where you shower and sleep with other men?

There’s a difference between emasculation and trying to help someone get on the right path.
Cut the bullshyt.

What do you think yoking up a kid, then goading him into resisting so that you can throw him down a flight of stairs is?

Always the same crap of trying to rely on wider statistics or the way that they address to dance around behaviour that is unacceptable from an adult in a position of power.

Those aren't the words of a man trying to show tough love. They're the words on an insecure manlet trying to establish himself as, what was it, pack leader.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.

Boys need discipline. I’m not an advocate of beatings kids. My son is 3 and never been spanked. But boys need to be raised by strong male authority figures and be taught how to be a man. Along with being raised nurturing mothers to learn the other side.

If not they will grow to be weak and emotional like most of these boys are.

Nothing about still having it, every society the young at some point challenges the old and the old has to lay down law. That don’t mean I’m whooping your ass, I means I’m coming to you with pure masculine energy, letting you know you fukking up.

Him arguing like a female with a female lets me know he don’t have that and that’s why he bucked at the coach also.

That coach I’m sure is leader of boys and they respect him. This boy don’t have that, and boys without that leader will do stuff like this

Rhapture

Supporter
Daps
Those are the students I challenge the most. Ok you want to act a fool? This assignment was worth 10 points, now it’s worth 30. And I’m calling home. I might call their parents right there in class if the situation calls for it. But putting them out is what they want and I’m not going to reward bad behavior.

I know how to project with a teachers voice, but when I see folks are on their phones ignoring me, I start talking at a regular level voice and remind them I haven’t made the test yet. Keep on keeping on and that test will be like doing astrophysics. That usually gets them right
See you know how to handle things like an adult but unwarrantedly getting physical with a student and allegedly encouraging him to swing on you and threatening to throw him down the steps after he breaks free is not how an instructor should behave. That's why I think this needs a meeting so we can get the truth. Now the phone situation, I see y'all point. I still don't think it should be held for the whole day but it's a case by case scenario

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
What do you think yoking up a kid, then goading him into resisting so that you can throw him down a flight of stairs is?
I’m not agreeing with his methods at all. You said a lot of teachers to emasculate young men. As a teacher, I disagreed. We never even addressed this particular situation.

For the record, yes I think protocol should be followed and that teacher should be held accountable. Only time I’ve touched another student was to pull them away from a fight. Hands and that kind of discipline is reserved for parents and if I have to use force with that child, I’m not reaching or teaching him. As a teacher, you have to be smarter and more mature than these teens.