If you had a son and he came up to you and said he’s not going to college and wants to try and make it as an entertainer. How would you react?

King Poetic

Can You Spot Me A 20?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On The Pacific
Glad I don’t have kids

But it’s college or trade school and the other shyt can be a side gig, until you can actually make it, if u can

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
The majority of people I know who went to college don’t work in the field they studied in. The majority of people I know who tried to make it in entertainment didn’t make it.

Pick your poison

:umad:

It's not 1985.

What is it that an aspiring artist has to do that would be a full time grind?

You hear niqqas all the time talmbout they made a beat in 15 minutes. The studio is in your room. The promotion occurs over the web. The music video is being shot on your front stoop.

There's no reason you can't go to school AND pursue an entertainment career.

In 1985 you had to move to a big city like NY or LA and grind to be heard on a large scale. Had to go physically hand people demos and shyt like that. Doing little shows was the only way to even spread the word. So back then you may have had to choose.

This is the real answer though. You can “make it” from the comfort of your bedroom with just a phone and a computer now days. No reason you can’t do something else while working towards it.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Well the fact that kids are watching their peers supposedly making thousands to millions gaming, podcasting, or posting stupid shyt on social media probably makes the OP a thing that’s happening more. I mean people are literally going to college for communications, getting into the field, and ditching it to post on TikTok full time. I’d imaging you’ll have a hard time telling kids who watch Akademiks all day that college is a better option. You have to do the best you can though.

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Shroom gummies, liquor and destiny
Daps
Tell em "well son, if it doesnt work out, at least u know onlyfans is always hiring :ehh: "

If that doesnt get him sending out college applications by days end we may just have a bigger problem on our hands than we realized... :sadcam:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
p-diddy-wtf.gif

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Tell em you can do both, going to college I don’t think stops your entertainment dreams, if anything it enhances it

Mfs just be afraid of school

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Only 1 life to live go all in fukk a plan b, it better not be an excuse to party and bullshyt

But you got 2 years to produce some results :ufdup:

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
If he showed talent in whatever area he wanted to be in as a child, I'd support him. :ehh:

If he's trying to be a fake thug/Ja Morant type nikka, that's gonna stop immediately :mjgrin::camby:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I'd tell him college would enhance his life experience and potential network to make it happen. And to choose a major that could still place him in entertainment albeit behind the scenes.

That type of statement/aspiration shouldn't surprise you about your son at 17/18.

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
are they talking to a parent with they shyt together or a parent who never took off and still trying? that's number one

but for the sake of the question

you can do both tf

no education? when you have no education you know what happens?

you go out here and get stuck in the first "good job" you can find

then you get a place and a car and most likely some DEBT and maybe some kids too lol

next thing you know you're stuck because the good job was never that ....YOU were just an uneducated muffuka at the time looking for a lifeline...

now with all them bills and expenses on top of ya ass you will most likely never reach ya full Potential aka STUCK like that nikka named Chuck

why else you think kids who graduated 10 yrs after some adults get out here and LAP they ass in a few yrs?

EDUCATION mufukka

now with that said CHASE ya dreams youngin, get lost in them so that you may find yourself

just don't call me with the fukk shyt

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Send him to law school to be an Entertainment Lawyer

Now he has a solid career for the industry he wants to be in

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I actually have this issue right now. A kid I have been mentoring that is a good kid but made mistakes. I am helping him finish his GED and helped him get some initial training to get a trade. He was real enthusiastic about it until he got a job making a bit of money (minimum wage) and started hanging out with aspiring unsigned rappers.

Now he says the hard work of the trade is not for him and he just wants to try to make it in music ot tiktok. He seriously said he doesn't care if he lives with his momma and flips burgers on the side until he breaks through. He doesn't understand anything, talking about going to the Berklee School without a GED and no portfolio.

I hope he is just on some copium right now since he has had some hard stuff happen in life recently but I am not sure if I should argue how he needs a good job as a backup while he works on his music or just let him crash out :yeshrug:

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Internally, I wouldn't seriously entertain the boy's wishes unless he had demonstrated an actual talent for it during his youth.

That said, I can't just shoot his dreams down. Tell him the truth about the difficulty of the road ahead, support him regardless, and ensure he has a plan B.

It's no different from these content creators out here. Do both until something takes off.