If you were a new artist, with no money, would you sign this contract?

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nope

u can be ya own label..sameway u created the buzz n got the 25 a show...

invest in yaself..

put ya own music on spotify itunes etc....

make ya own merch...

register for ya isrc upc and other shyt...

fukk them labels...

protect your music...because if u tell a label to eat a dikk...

they can get u for ya songs..n ti n others can be rappin ya shyt...n u got the ate ass face...

In addition, use interns. In my opinion people don’t understand the benefit of using interns who want to gain experience. It’s a win/win situation.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
2500 a show * 3 shows a week = 7500 a week
7500 a week * 4 weeks = 30000 in a month
30000 a month * 12 months = 360000 a year

No
That ain’t shyt tho when you think about it. Assuming you can even command 3 shows a week you have to account for the cost of travel, food, clothes, and a DJ. That $2500 you made off one show is gone as soon as you get it. Not to mention you gotta pay taxes

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
$2,500 a show isn’t bad if you manage your money right and have a long term plan.

I’d stay independent as long as possible. If you have a major label offering you that much NOW then that means your projected worth is probably 5X that.

Either negotiate better terms (i.e. owning your publishing outright or a bigger signing bonus or a smaller album deal) or stick to independent until you have more leverage

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Once I saw Atlantic it became a no. They’re probably the worse major label. Plus mixtapes or collabs don’t count.

2500 a show isn’t bad for an artist with a lil buzz.

if you can pump out two or more a month plus have a day job you’ll be Good
But indie remember, you pay for everything yourself. And $2500 isn't bad if you're constantly getting booked but soon as your buzz diminishes at all, those shows become few and fewer. Plus you gotta work for that money, a lot of travel etc. As oppose to one lump sum. Maintaining a buzz is not guaranteed.

Just giving both sides.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eventually your buzz will grow and so will your show much it only takes 1 hit...

So no don’t sign no deal with a major
Not necessarily. Your buzz can die quickly, especially in this era where fans get tired of artists and songs and there's something new out everyday.

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’d take that deal in a heartbeat. The only thing that’s a turnoff is the amount of albums. 250k without having to pay it back is life changing

True, but in reality what are you sacrificing for that 250k? There is absolutely nothing for free. The label is going to attempt to recoup this money somehow.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
EVERY1 SAYS THEY WONT SIGN IT BUT U GUNA REMAIN A SOUNDCLOUD ARTISTS LIKE THE MILLIONS OF OTHERS WHO THINK THEY THE NEXT TO BLOW

THE ONLY WAY U DONT SIGN IT IS IF U HAVE LEGIT BUZZ AND ARE ALREADY CAKIN BIG OFF YOUR FANBASE

EVEN I HAD A SOLID FANBASE AND STILL BARELY MADE SHIIT... NOT AS EASY TO COME UP INDEPENDENT AS U THINK.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
2500 a show * 3 shows a week = 7500 a week
7500 a week * 4 weeks = 30000 in a month
30000 a month * 12 months = 360000 a year

No
Someone at the $2500 a show level is not doing 3 shows a week. That means most likely they're still at the local level.

I'd take the money. I'd flip the $250k into a couple M's and save the show money, merch I do get. All my jewelry and clothes or whatever would be fake or shyt given to me for free. And hopefully after 3 years or so if the deal isn't working out I can try and buy my way out of it.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That ain’t shyt tho when you think about it. Assuming you can even command 3 shows a week you have to account for the cost of travel, food, clothes, and a DJ. That $2500 you made off one show is gone as soon as you get it. Not to mention you gotta pay taxes
Exactly. This isn't a regular job, you have to pay for travel, food, dj, and maybe one or two other people on the road with you

Plus, 3 shows a week is not guaranteed at all. That's not realistic. Maybe at peak buzz you can maybe pull that off, but even then, not for a full calendar year. And that's not even accounting for the possibility of your buzz dying. You might be at 1 show a month.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Let's say you're just coming on to the scene (2-3 years), slight buzz, but you not making real money yet (maybe 2500 a show).

And like Atlantic offers you a deal:

$250K for signing up front, all yours (you don't have to pay it back)
They own all the your masters
They get a percentage of your tour money, show money, merchandise, ad revenue, licensing, features, etc...
And you're signed for 6 studio albums (Mixtapes, collaborations, eps, etc.. don't count towards your albums you owe them)

Or would you not sign and stay indie.

Id sign it if after the 6 albums masters and merchandising revert back to me..

Nyggas now do 6 albums in 2 years..