If you were a new artist, with no money, would you sign this contract?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
True, but in reality what are you sacrificing for that 250k? There is absolutely nothing for free. The label is going to attempt to recoup this money somehow.
This might be your only opportunity tho. Sometimes you gotta take it. Like OP said your in a desperate situation. If it wasn’t for that I’d stick to my guns

Daps
No
6 albums is wayyyy too muchhh
I would ask for a 2 album offer & see what they got.
Is this a 360 deal?

This, if its negotiable and its a 2-3 album deal, if you play your cards right you could end up with more leverage out the contract

only thing i wouldn't budge on (especially if you believe in your content over time) is my masters ... they may have rights to it during the contract, but after the fact it reverts back to the creator

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This might be your only opportunity tho. Sometimes you gotta take it. Like OP said your in a desperate situation. If it wasn’t for that I’d stick to my guns

No judgement from me for anyone who would take the deal. Opportunity knocks but once. However, just be smart about it, or have people around who are smart and have your best interests at heart.

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
[
This, if its negotiable and its a 2-3 album deal, if you play your cards right you could end up with more leverage out the contract

only thing i wouldn't budge on (especially if you believe in your content over time) is my masters ... they may have rights to it during the contract, but after the fact it reverts back to the creator

I say this respectfully, but an individual who is desperate is not going to ask any questions or think about negotiating.

This is why myself and another poster mentioned earlier that stay indie as long as possible so you as the artist have the knowledge and leverage to walk into a meeting with a label head, and negotiate favorable terms.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
No judgement from me for anyone who would take the deal. Opportunity knocks but once. However, just be smart about it, or have people around who are smart and have your best interests at heart.
I think in a situation like this you would have to take that deal and gamble. You will have a machine behind you and the OP didn’t even mention the budget. They are literally paying you 250k just to sign. Yea six albums is a lot. And you can always renegotiate if you blow up. You might never have hits to the point where owning your own masters maters anyway

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think in a situation like this you would have to take that deal and gamble. You will have a machine behind you and the OP didn’t even mention the budget. They are literally paying you 250k just to sign. Yea six albums is a lot. And you can always renegotiate if you blow up. You might never have hits to the point where owning your own masters maters anyway

Out of curiosity, what happens if the album is shelved or someone else comes along and the label focuses the attention on them. How are the label recouping that $250k?

@FreshAIG can you please do a scenario for a distribution deal?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Out of curiosity, what happens if the album is shelved or someone else comes along and the label focuses the attention on them. How are the label recouping that $250k?

@FreshAIG can you please do a scenario for a distribution deal?
In the OP he said you don’t have to pay it back it’s all yours. Now if that 250k was your budget that’s the worst deal ever
:heh:

Starburst

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the OP he said you don’t have to pay it back it’s all yours. Now if that 250k was your budget that’s the worst deal ever
:heh:

The artist might not have to physically pay the money back, but In my opinion they is nothing for free, and that signing money will be recouped by the label some how.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I get the hypothetical, but...

If you have enough buzz to be worth 250,000 up front that you don't have to pay back from a major, then you

a. Probably are getting more than 2500 a show or are on the verge of it (and you'd know that) or,
b. Are in a position to either negotiate or get a deal that's in your better interests somewhere else

Again, I get the hypothetical situation, but there are some logic gaps that don't make it quite a believable scenario

I could be wrong. I probably am wrong. I'm not a Coli Entertainment Lawyer

VY2wmdR.png