If you were a new artist, with no money, would you sign this contract?

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
As long as i cam renegotiate those6 albums down to 3 if my first album or two go hard

Or if i could renegotiate to get my masters at some point

But if not id prolly stay indie

Contract seemed OK as a starter contract up until 6 albums then I was like :whoa:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly

it’s easy to say stay indie and I see a lot of people get on artists for signing bad deals. But if you’re still struggling and someone offers you that, it’s hard to turn down. Especially the upfront money. That’s life changing to the average person.
As a 34 year old man I turn the shyt down and stay indie. But as an 18 or 19 year old, having been broke my whole life, which is essentially the type of dudes that get offered these contracts, I most definitely would've taken it.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
Considering you'd have to use 250k to immediately buy the "materials" (jewelry, designer items, cars) and then you'd have to spend 50k for viral marketing. You'd be fukked and in 1m debt in no time.

Or you could not do that:russ:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
As a 34 year old man I turn the shyt down and stay indie. But as an 18 or 19 year old, having been broke my whole life, which is essentially the type of dudes that get offered these contracts, I most definitely would've taken it.

What if you are a broke 34 year old? Thats what i am.

trillanova

The Truth
Daps
if you're already getting 2500 a show and can book 3-5 shows a month, why the hell would i take 250k and then sell all my masters? then on top of that have to give them albums? if i'm grinding and steadily growing and can keep all of my assets, why the hell would i sell all of my future away for money that i'll eventually earn anyway.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Based on what Beatking has done for the last 10 years, stay independent. Now if you’re in the game that long and then decide to sign to a major label, I guess that would be the route to go. But wow, written like that, major deals are trash and are made to totally drain the artist.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
if you're already getting 2500 a show and can book 3-5 shows a month, why the hell would i take 250k and then sell all my masters? then on top of that have to give them albums? if i'm grinding and steadily growing and can keep all of my assets, why the hell would i sell all of my future away for money that i'll eventually earn anyway.

How do you know for sure you will eventually earn that money? Nothing in life is guaranteed

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
No matter what people say now, most artists will take that deal when it's presented in front of them. And that's why labels will always offer such, because they know the human condition, and the response they'll get 99/100.

Most indie artists aren't getting booked 3x a week, not those that weren't previously in the industry, with a built in fanbase. And most of the other indies are still looking for a way to have major backing.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Depending on what kinda artist you are, it's an image thing. Even if you are struggling, most artists want the image they doing well. It depends on the image you're portraying. If you some shooter/bang bang rapper then nikkas catch you working at Starbucks, it could hurt you.

If you don't have an image you're trying to maintain then yeah, that's different.
Then do not front with your image. If you are not getting money in the streets or laying "opps" down stick to rapping about what you know.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Won't that take time away from working on your craft to make it in the music business?
I do not know anything about what type of "work" goes into getting into the business, but you if you do not want to be broke enough to sign some shytty deal you need to have your own money behind you. Work part time, live with a roommate, do not blow your money on frivolous things. That should help.

I_Q

All Star
Daps
The only artists that wouldn't take that no strings attached $ are artists that do it just for the love and they're few and far between. 6 albums is awful though but there's ways around that. If you're trying to invest that $ and want out of the deal you can just record hella songs and release them back to back. But then if you want to make $ on the back end too you want to sell as much as you can. This scenario is type evil Fresh lol