I'm a Middle School Teacher in the Hood Who's Losing Hope For our Future AMA

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
It goes beyond just the school system. nikkas just dont take education seriously:yeshrug:. My high school was like 70% black and the students with the top 10 highest gpa's were all either asian or white. I know yall are gonna get emotional and neg me but it is what it is.
:duck:

Lie and tell stories just to shyt on black people:mjpls:

And u got dumbass nikkas dapping this:martin:

Last edited:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My issue with most of these parents is that they're simply not involved at all.

I started the year tracking all the times I reached out to parents. Quit after a few months because it was a waste of time. This is a quick screenshot from 1 day. Notice how only a few have later dates on them? That's because none of these parents ever responded. If my kid gets a note home or if a teacher calls me I'm on it. These parents aren't. I'm empathetic to the macro issues we deal with and I know most of these parents are likely products of the same education system, but it's still an issue

Nah fukk that.

You better than me fam.

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I believe media definitely plays a role in how young black children see themselves & how they value education.

Especially black boys.

I know it had an effect on me.

Alot of black boys say "fukk school" in exchange for other things... Sports... Rap.... The streets etc.

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
:salute: OP I got a lot of respect for teachers. I work at a middle school myself on the clerical side doing some bookkeeping. I see it a lot with many of the schools in our district. You're right about the parents being a major part of it though.

Before I worked here, I used to volunteer at an elementary school in the county. There was one kindergartner who was wild as hell. He was always starting fights and cussing at people. Kid would even sexually harass one of the female APs. Told her he would eat her out and shyt :huhldup:

They apparently tried for months to get the kid's parents in for a meeting. They finally got the mom to show up and the chick came in slightly hungover smelling like weed and alcohol :snoop:

His dad lived in Chicago and refused to let him stay with him. His grandma tries, but there's only so much she can do. That's an extreme case, but sadly not an isolated one :francis:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
This is a class issue. Not ethnic or race based.

That's not at all true. Racial inequalities don't exist within school systems??! There's no "school to prison pipeline" in black communities??? There is a such thing as race based curriculum- tons of resources on that. In addition, they are suspending/ expelling blacks in middle class and suburban school systems at a much higher rate than their white counterparts. It's not solely a class issue.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
props to you. Here's the thing. I don't take the noise from them either in my room. But I also don't fight/argue with them. I lay the ground rules and act if they don't follow. Problem is when there's no back up. I still kick kids out of class but if they don't want to leave, there's no way I can make them. There's also no way to actually force kids to do work. So basically you have to try to reason with or demand that kids do what they're supposed to but there's literally nothing I have to back it up
I tell em why it’s important and how it’s practical to their lives.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you aren't from poverty then how are you gonna tell people that came from it and still see it everyday what the problem is?
That's the problem - too many people who have no experience with issues not relevant to them are the first ones to open their mouths and spout a bunch of nonsense about what the problems are and what they're not. These are the same ones that are first to call people out on problems and offer no solutions. Basically amounting to a bunch of nothing.

sunny80

All Star
Daps
That's not at all true. Racial inequalities don't exist within school systems??! There's no "school to prison pipeline" in black communities??? There is a such thing as race based curriculum- tons of resources on that. In addition, they are suspending/ expelling blacks in middle class and suburban school systems at a much higher rate than their white counterparts. It's not solely a class issue.
Those are racial issues based on prejudice and discrimination. My point is that there isn't anything wrong with blacks. We aren't "doomed" or inherently stupid like posters are trying to make it seem. Environment and poverty play a role.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Most likely it's environmental issues

U know back home in igboland your teacher or parents will kill you for a bad grade...
In India and south korea kids throw themselves of buildings and train stations with a bad grade.
In both examples more likely than not the parents are together...They may be poor but the kid will be disciplined. Most of our issues u know are with northern kids who are abandoned and are street beggars coupled with a non existent govt
In Igboland, getting an education is a privilege. You gotta pay for it. Education here in states is basically a prison pipeline if you Black and poor. Your only escape is your testing scores high af and you can transfer or your sports skills raw

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Those are racial issues based on prejudice and discrimination. My point is that there isn't anything wrong with blacks. We aren't "doomed" or inherently stupid like posters are trying to make it seem. Environment and poverty play a role.

Who said that on this thread?? I read through this thread b/c I have a stake in education as it relates to my child, but no one labeled these kids as "stupid or doomed" .. your exaggerating and manipulating. At most, the majority of comments center around the behavioral issues, limited expectations because of shytty or lazy parenting - nothing to do with learning aptitude. Seems like you're doing the projecting and labeling. Now you're saying environment and poverty play a role, when initially you said that Race has nothing to do with it.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
ppl living in poverty don't take education serious it has nothing to do with race. You think whites living in the economically depressed Appalachia region on meth care about how their kids are doing on school? When you are struggling to survive getting an education is not a priority. This thread is borderline c00nish. If these kids lived in areas with resources and their parents were making a nice living and they say a path from the classroom to prosperity they would be better behaved.
This thread far from c00nish but some of the opinions are. OP ain't said nothing crazy at all