I'm a Middle School Teacher in the Hood Who's Losing Hope For our Future AMA

sunny80

All Star
Daps
Who said that on this thread?? I read through this thread b/c I have a stake in education as it relates to my child, but no one labeled these kids as "stupid or doomed" .. your exaggerating and manipulating. At most, the majority of comments center around the behavioral issues, limited expectations because of shytty or lazy parenting - nothing to do with learning aptitude. Seems like you're doing the projecting and labeling. Now you're saying environment and poverty play a role, when initially you said that Race has nothing to do with it.
My first post stated that this is a class issue, ie poverty.

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who said that on this thread?? I read through this thread b/c I have a stake in education as it relates to my child, but no one labeled these kids as "stupid or doomed" .. your exaggerating and manipulating. At most, the majority of comments center around the behavioral issues, limited expectations because of shytty or lazy parenting - nothing to do with learning aptitude. Seems like you're doing the projecting and labeling. Now you're saying environment and poverty play a role, when initially you said that Race has nothing to do with it.

Dap and rep.

get that insecure nikka all the way out the paint :camby:

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
No lie I just had a fight in my room between a boy and a girl :snoop:. Yea I'm on thecoli during work. Kids are working on self guided modules on the computers. All was peaceful then a kid came back from the bathroom and randomly told this girl that another kid called her stank. Next thing you know these 2 are swinging on each other smh

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
But here's the flipside tho...

Black students in college (in my experience) are serious as a heart-attack

The AA kids I went to Vanderbilt with were ALL more serious than the White kids.

It was no comparison. The average black kid at Vandy was probably 2x as studious as the average cac.
So clearly at some piont personal responsibility kicked in.

It got to the point where if I had a class with a fellow black kid or a Malaysian, i would target them as a study partner cuz I knew they were serious about it.

With White kids it was so hit or miss because so many of them are either legacy, or just from wealthy Nashville families so they were just there to get wasted and throw frisbees :deadmanny:
Lol, any Black kids going to Vandy or as an adult working where I would like to work has to be A1 af. White people ain't paying you or accepting you if you not about that business.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
But here's the flipside tho...

Black students in college (in my experience) are serious as a heart-attack

The AA kids I went to Vanderbilt with were ALL more serious than the White kids.

It was no comparison. The average black kid at Vandy was probably 2x as studious as the average cac.
So clearly at some piont personal responsibility kicked in.

It got to the point where if I had a class with a fellow black kid or a Malaysian, i would target them as a study partner cuz I knew they were serious about it.

With White kids it was so hit or miss because so many of them are either legacy, or just from wealthy Nashville families so they were just there to get wasted and throw frisbees :deadmanny:

:salute: Got a sis at Vandy. In highschool she was doing cheerleading and modeling. Top 5 students in her grade and she still had time to take a damn nap

I regret not trying hard in school so much

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:salute: Got a sis at Vandy. In highschool she was doing cheerleading and modeling. Top 5 students in her grade and she still had time to take a damn nap

I regret not trying hard in school so much

Anchor Down :salute:

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
I tell em why it’s important and how it’s practical to their lives.
I teach Business Ed. It's literally life skills. Teach about personal finance, money, education, all that. Don't matter. Again props to you and all but that ain't really getting it done round here. Now of course some kids do care a bit and by and large I've got some of the calmest classes in the school because I do have rapport and the respect of most of the kids. But its STILL wild

---

Superstar
Daps
I don't know if I can keep doing this brehs :mjcry:

I love my people but this some nonsense :mjcry:

I don't do it but I'm starting to understand how teachers can tell kids they not gonna amount to anything :mjcry:

This school system is destroying our kids :mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:

I got the inside dirt, AMA:mjcry:

What's up breh? I understand exactly how you feel used to be a math teacher for junior high and senior high school. I stopped that and changed careers into finance and never looked back. The crossover wasn't that hard if you're looking to get out.

You can't win and there is nothing you can do to win. It starts at home!

I did my quest to find out why these kids can't do basic math in school. So I went on personal crusade to find the answers. I found them, and after I found them, I quit being a math teacher. Still in education but a different way but, after reading study after study doing talk after a talk going to conference after conference I found the answer.

"Parents"

If a child did not get raised in a household with parents that got them ready for school from the age of birth to 4 years, it's over! There is no way, and I mean no way the child will excel in school. The child's life is written before they step into school. Which also answered my question about nature vs. nurture. People will say this and that, but it starts with the parents from birth. It hit me hard when I found the answer.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
My middle School class was all about fukkery. Looking back and realizing shyt only got worse with time, I been lost hope.
Mines was complete fukkery. I might have called half of my teachers fags and dikes everyday. I wrote up so much and whooped so many times I was developing pain tolerance like I was Kunta Kinte.

One teacher was cool. I had to dap that nikka up at the end of the year for being such a good sport. But he fukked up coming at Melissa on some pedo shyt and we had to call him for it.

He looked like Bob Saget but we used to call him Mr. Garrison from South Park. He would get mad af about it at first but stop giving a fukk.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
My first post stated that this is a class issue, ie poverty.

There are black children in poverty or unstable backgrounds getting scholarships, college admission, while there are black students in upper/middle class areas that are barely passing or have no interest in higher education. Number of people that I know who had a privileged upbringing that didn't take advantage of it or ended up as pregnant teens or no ambition. It's not just a class issue or poverty issue. There are children in majority low income black areas that WANT to achieve and do better but they don't have the access or resources because of racism in their communities; they become self-defeated. I participated in the Chicago writing program to review essays - none of the children wrote that they didn't want to become someone or do something with their lives, they have goals. No kid off top says - I don't want to be shyt, they just become depressed or conditioned as a result of their disadvantages which comes from lack of parenting, socialization and of course, racial disparities. If they don't have any positive influences to counteract that, then its a repeat cycle.

Last edited: