Is it a wrap for Software Engineers? Devin autonomous AI software engineer...

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
breh the improvement I've seen in the Text-to-Video space, over the last 12 months is wild :merchant:

hell look at photography
a iphone 15 can take a better photo than what a 4,000 dollar dslr from 10 years could

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
long term everybody job is probably at risk of automation
But i'm not worried right now. Doom and gloom is either coming from people with something to gain from the conversation like Nvidia CEO or people who don't currently use A.I
I use A.I damn near every day and the amount of hallucination and hand holding required is crazy. It's like a better stack over flow and google hybrid right now, no way in hell is it ready to create real production ready systems

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
hell look at photography
a iphone 15 can take a better photo than what a 4,000 dollar dslr from 10 years could

I need to go back in the OG photography thread and see what yall been cookin up. I would like to see what current phones are able to create now. I sold my Sony a7 and Canon d6 years ago, im out of the loop :wow:

Sir ZDuke

All Star
Daps
It will reduce the amount of developers needed, not eliminate them.
Lol exactly this. Why have a headcount of 7 engineers(3 senior + 4 juniors), when you can have Devin + 2 seniors + dirt cheap testers in India. The recruitment funnel at the entry level is already fukked, this is going to be the final bullet.

Years ago on Blind, someone asked if SE should form a union, and got laughed off the forum. No one’s laughing now.

“But, but, how would AI do code review?”

Daps
AI is too expensive for most companies to sustain, it will affect jobs for awhile but once AI companies get leverage and sophistication is needed to operate these systems the costs will outweigh the benefits. You're seeing the same thing with Cloud services.

Whats going on with Cloud services?

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Artificial Intelligence’s ‘Insatiable’ Energy Needs Not Sustainable, Arm CEO Says​

AI models such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT “are just insatiable in terms of their thirst” for electricity, Haas said​

By Peter Landers

April 9, 2024 4:10 am ET

ddf3da0d02d9f406308d4005e128df2a56ae51a9.jpg

The power issue has drawn growing attention from technology executives in recent months. PHOTO: JOSE SARMENTO MATOS/BLOOMBERG NEWS

TOKYO—Chip-design company

Arm ARM 3.55%increase; green up pointing triangle

made its name by devising ways to minimize smartphones’ power consumption and extend battery life. Now, the company’s head says the same push for energy efficiency is needed in artificial-intelligence applications.

Rene Haas, chief executive of Arm, spoke ahead of an announcement Tuesday by the U.S. and Japan about a $110 million program to fund AI research at universities in the two countries. U.K.-based Arm and its parent, Tokyo-based SoftBank Group, are together offering $25 million in funding for the program.

AI models such as OpenAI’s ChatGPT “are just insatiable in terms of their thirst” for electricity, Haas said in an interview. “The more information they gather, the smarter they are, but the more information they gather to get smarter, the more power it takes.”

Without greater efficiency, “by the end of the decade, AI data centers could consume as much as 20% to 25% of U.S. power requirements. Today that’s probably 4% or less,” he said. “That’s hardly very sustainable, to be honest with you.”

The power issue has drawn growing attention from technology executives in recent months and helped drive up the stock prices of companies that own and operate electric-power plants.

In a January report, the International Energy Agency said a request to ChatGPT requires 2.9 watt-hours of electricity on average—equivalent to turning on a 60-watt lightbulb for just under three minutes. That is nearly 10 times as much as the average Google search. The agency said power demand by the AI industry is expected to grow by at least 10 times between 2023 and 2026.

“It’s going to be difficult to accelerate the breakthroughs that we need if the power requirements for these large data centers for people to do research on keeps going up and up and up,” Haas said.

He expressed hope that the U.S.-Japan research partnership would work on solutions to the power issue. Arm’s funding is going to a collaboration between Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Keio University in Japan.

The partnership is a project of the U.S. ambassador to Japan, Rahm Emanuel, who last year organized a $150 million U.S.-Japan research program in quantum computing backed by IBM and Google. Elsewhere in the AI partnership, Amazon.com and Nvidia are set to spend $25 million each to support AI research at the University of Washington and Japan’s University of Tsukuba.

Emanuel said it was important for the two allies to work together in the face of competing AI and quantum-computing research in China. He said the U.S. and Japan would harness the efforts of industry and academia together, contrasting that with Chinese leader Xi Jinping’s moves in recent years to rein in the country’s tech giants.

“One of the downsides of what Xi has done is squash entrepreneurship,” Emanuel said. “Our model is going to be more successful.”

Write to Peter Landers at Peter.Landers@wsj.com

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
No ‘job’ is safe from AI :yeshrug:
EXACTLY

These nikkas act like AI is going specifically after tech jobs :mjlol:

No, AI most likely will come after YOUR job. All these middle managing, or sit in the office all day just bullshyttin on TheColi… these the nikkas in danger imo.

Or even ordinary folk doing remedial jobs have a higher likelihood of getting replaced and going the way of the auto-factory worker like in the past..

IT is broad af… extremely broad. Broader than what most people know/think. The Coli tends to think everyone in IT just does developing or coding or some shyt… no, they dont.

I do cyber security with a background in system maintenance and networking. No way who I work for is trusting AI to run their systems and networks, especially with the amount of cybercrime going on. Will it be a tool, yes. Will it be significant.. yes. Will it replace most tech workers? Only people willing to do that are greedy/public CEO’s to try to cut labor costs..

but like OP said, its the same shyt when companies started outsourcing their entire IT departments overseas and realizing it was a HUGE mistake after they lost hundreds of millions. It happened to my mom and they came running back to her and kinda happened to me last year when I was let go because some clown thought our roles were ineffective and was a waste of money… until shyt hit the fan, that guy got fired, and they were back on my line asking me to return and then had to pay me more to come back

nikkas need to stop worrying about what AI will do to tech jobs and start worrying about what it will do to YOUR job.. because if you just pushing papers, on the phone, and going to meetings all day then :francis:

Last edited:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
EXACTLY

I’m saying, no job is safe. The point is to make yourself irreplaceable. Learn how to pivot.

Need to get over that “I’m gonna stick at this job until I retire” shyt out of your mind. That boomer nonsense is dead. If my job is in jeopardy, I’ll retool and pivot to something more in demand.

I went from DBA to Data Analyst to Data Scientist. I’ll do it again if I have to :unimpressed: the fukk I look like being intimidated by something I can create

bnew

Veteran
Daps
No one said anything is safe but every time a thread like this gets made, it's specifically targeting those in the tech industry. AI is going to affect everyone in a negative and positive way but you guys only speak on how tech folks will be out of a job. What makes you think that some of us aren't part of these AI projects or won't be able to evolve so that we can leverage these tools for our own benefit. Like @Rhyme n Tekniq said, tech is changing constantly and we have to change with it or get left behind, this is nothing new.

that's not true, there have been lots of discussions on here about artists and graphics designers losing jobs, translators losing jobs, customer service representatives losing jobs, writers and copy editors losing jobs, voice actors in movies, tv shows, audiobook and the game industry losing jobs.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Two things:

1. I hate the extremist views I have to keep reading. Motherfukkers really think it’ll go from 10 programmers on a team to zero. Not it’ll go from 10 to 3 or 2.

2. Everyone just talks about how the old shyt is dead but new jobs are always created. I want to know what new jobs are being created.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Not sure I understand the joy some of you get at the THOUGHT of jobs being eliminated.

How many jobs did they themselves eliminate and told people to get over it it’s the future. Now these fakkits crying when they made their own replacements.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
I’m not scared of AI taking my job at all, but I’m not about to act like they not about to perfect this shyt pretty soon lol. It’s exciting as long as you know where you fit in. Plus ai will always need oversight regardless of how “perfect it will some day be”
Yeah the way I see it is if there is ever "Perfect A.I" all it'll take is for one company to be like "We went from no developers and only 'Perfect A.I' to having this one developer working with 'Perfect A.I' and look how much our profits have soared compared to our competition!"

Flood gates open at that point.

Next thing you got multiple companies with Perfect A.I + one engineer.
Then Perfect A.I + team of engineers.
Then Perfect A.I + teamA for one feature, Perfect A.I + teamB for another feature, etc.

and back we are.

That's the thing about competition: it's never enough.
As Drake wrote recently: Everyone wants to be the one.
Someone starts to get outdone and they'll start seeing what someone else is doing and try to go more grand.

As long as there's still a human CEO you'll always see this.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
EXACTLY

No, AI most likely will come after YOUR job. All these middle managing, or sit in the office all day just bullshyttin on TheColi… these the nikkas in danger imo.

Or even ordinary folk doing remedial jobs have a higher likelihood of getting replaced and going the way of the auto-factory worker like in the past..

IT is broad af… extremely broad. Broader than what most people know/think. The Coli tends to think everyone in IT just does developing or coding or some shyt… no, they dont.

I do cyber security with a background in system maintenance and networking. No way who I work for is trusting AI to run their systems and networks, especially with the amount of cybercrime going on. Will it be a tool, yes. Will it be significant.. yes. Will it replace most tech workers? Only people willing to do that are greedy/public CEO’s to try to cut labor costs..

but like OP said, its the same shyt when companies started outsourcing their entire IT departments overseas and realizing it was a HUGE mistake after they lost hundreds of millions. It happened to my mom and they came running back to her and kinda happened to me last year when I was let go because some clown thought our roles were ineffective and was a waste of money… until shyt hit the fan, that guy got fired, and they were back on my line asking me to return and then had to pay me more to come back

nikkas need to stop worrying about what AI will do to tech jobs and start worrying about what it will do to YOUR job.. because if you just pushing papers, on the phone, and going to meetings all day then :francis:
Yeah, this is facts.

Even people who say things like "Skilled trades/Manual Labor are safe" like breh, the MILITARY is looking at how to automate specialized and skilled manual labor. They've accelerated their automation/drones research recently the last few years. I'd hate for my field to be targeted by the military because we know they can move quick af when they want to. Not to mention a lot of companies want that U.S Defense money.

The safest industry imo is medical. It's not 100% safe, but it'll adapt to A.I the most cautious and slow. People aren't going to be so trustworthy of machines, I don't think I'll ever see it while I'm alive at least.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
If you've ever played a game with procedurally generated worlds you'll understand why this stuff isn't a threat...yet.

How does this "AI" fix its own bugs?

How do you explain to the "AI" what you actually want in requirements?
Most devs don't even know how to track that properly as most clients don't ask for what they need they ask for what they want. That's why PM, POs, and AEs get hired.

How does the "AI" receive UAT feedback?

Can it generate a feature that doesn't currently exist on any platform?
Breh sounding like my RTE at work :heh: