Is it possible to become a Type "A" personality?

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are who you are tbh, to counter your core default will take a lot of work, many years and it can not be done alone, a performance psychology coach or similar will need to be involved.

Last edited:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Truth be told, it's very hard to change your personality after you're already an adult. :yeshrug:

There was a study that showed that by 2nd grade or so, most people already have their base personality traits and they don't change much.

True it's the reason why some sports don't even take on kids at that age

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
We're here to talk about you destroying yourself with drugs, not my fukkin personality?

But naw, all that Type A/Type B cluster stuff is just too broad and not nuanced, same thing as astrology breh

I'm more extroverted than I used to be a few years back, my confidence is up*, you don't need to be Ted Bundy :skip:

Be personable, learn how to read the room, and learn how to network with everyone you can, you need to pay to play, and if you can't, find people who can :ufdup:

*Eating better and getting cardio plus strength training is all you need to start motivating yourself

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
Is there a way that one can radically transform their personality for the better?

Due to my upbringing, I was very self-conscious, shy, meek, and unassertive as a child, and this carried on throughout high school. :francis:

Since then, I've managed to grow out of some of these traits a bit, but I still have facets of my core personality that I've carried with me since I was a child.

Basically, I'd like to become one of those hyper-assertive, hyper-productive (one might say borderline sociopathic :yeshrug:) people that seem to dominate in all areas of life (financially, socially, networking, etc).

Every time I start on a self-improvement schedule, it goes really well for nearly a month until some shyt happens in my life that fukks up my mental state and causes me to slip back into bad habits.

I'm tired of being a broke loser :mjcry:

It's pointless to think like this if you can't already list the downsides of having a type A personality. Also, take some time to ponder on how you feel about those downsides that you don't experience specifically because you don't have a type A personality.

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
did you figure this out yet breh? im the same way: too humble for my own good type. i don’t want to go against the grain and speak my mind oftentimes even if i know it’s right thing to do in order to spare others’ feelings in the moment.

my mild mannered nature ironically leaves way for the same people i am empathetic and considerate towards to end up playing with me once they discover my insecurities.

my humility plays against me i respect people who don’t match the same energy later on. funnily a lot of people of which who i already knew of their flawed morals beforehand but decided to disregard
Made MASSIVE improvements as far as my social skills thanks to now having a job that forces me to interact with people face-to-face on a constant basis: people of all ages, races, ethnicities, etc. I genuinely feel like I can converse with just about anyone now compared to how I felt last year.

Curious thing is, I'm still deeply introverted at heart, but at work I'm able to "turn it on" so to speak, being able to small talk and find ways to charm customers (ESPECIALLY middle-aged women lol :mjlol:) when needed.

As of now, my verbal skills have improved, and I'm still in the gym consistently. But I still have self-image/self-esteem wounds from childhood that I need to work on.

Last edited:

africngiant

All Star
Daps
Made MASSIVE improvements as far as my social skills thanks to now having a job that forces me to interact with people face-to-face on a constant basis: people of all ages, races, ethnicities, etc. I genuinely feel like I can converse with just about anyone now compared to how I felt last year.

Curious thing is, I'm still deeply introverted at heart, but at work I'm able to "turn it on" so to speak, being able to small talk and find ways to charm customers (ESPECIALLY middle-aged women lol :mjlol:) when needed.

As of now, my verbal skills have improved, and I'm still in the gym consistently. But I still have self-image/self-esteem wounds from childhood that I still need to work on.
yeah i have genuine rage for the ppl who fukked with my self esteem growing up im unfortunately trapped in my hometown i think a huge part of growing would be taking the newer evolved me the fukk outta here. a lot of it comes from your own kind too.

we’re too special to have let people make us feel so doubtful about ourselves for so long

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I believe you have to have some sort of passion to develop that drive within yourself.

It’s not enough to say to yourself you just want money and to not be broke. You could do a number of things to make more money, probably make a decent living, but still feel like how you do socially speaking.

However, if you find a passion, more often than not, you will meet that drive and interest you desire that will make you become more assertive because it will be personal for you and not dependent on others’ whims and decisions.

It’s about having an objective for being a certain way.

Just my two cents…

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

As of now, my verbal skills have improved, and I'm still in the gym consistently. But I still have self-image/self-esteem wounds from childhood that I still need to work on.

You sound like a younger me. I was shy in high school. After getting a C in a speech class in college, I went out and intentionally worked jobs that forced me to interact with people. Started waiting tables, then in sales. In the 80s and 90s, 'How to Make Friends and Influence People" was the Bible for salesmen. You have to realize the vast majority of people want someone else to make the approach. The other key point is to ask questions and let people talk about themselves.

You gotta be careful with those middle aged female shoppers. I've was propositioned more than a few times, and the women couldn't care less when I told them I was married.

Last edited:

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
It's pointless to think like this if you can't already list the downsides of having a type A personality. Also, take some time to ponder on how you feel about those downsides that you don't experience specifically because you don't have a type A personality.
One downside that immediately comes to mind is coming off as an a$$hole to the people closest to you, those who know you better than anyone else.

Without going into too much detail, I know someone who is the archetypal "Type A" personality. He is without a shadow of a doubt a legit narcissist, and definitely has sociopathic tendencies, if he isn't actually just a full-blown sociopath. He allegedly went through some sort of childhood abuse, so this only makes it more likely that his core personality was shaped due to it.

And when use the terms "narcissist" and "sociopath", I'm NOT using them in the way that a lot of women nowadays like to use them to talk about shytty dudes that they've dated.

Behind the scenes, this dude rules his private life with an iron fist, controlling every person within his inner circle with unchecked power, and has everyone seemingly afraid to speak out against him and the fukked up shyt that he's done to people throughout his life.

Yet in public, he portrays himself as a shining example of a Black male role model, presenting himself as an honorable good-natured man that others should look up to. He's held various leadership roles, is well-respected, and is very charismatic.

The only possible saving grace within all of his fukkkery is that the people who TRULY know him don't respect him. However, with his recently won lifetime achievement award and having acquired a network that consists of every prominent Black man in our city from activists, city officials, and even the mayor, the approval of those he deems "important" is probably all he really cares about anyway.

After doing some reflection on your question, I guess what attracts me to wanting to have a Type A personality -- especially during the time of my life when I made that post -- is the (perceived, at least) power that seems to come from it.

Power over others. Power over circumstances. Power in attracting women. Power over enemies. Power in controlling one's life.

I'm ultimately tired of feeling weak. Like my whole life up to this point was just due to a cosmic dice roll.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
One downside that immediately comes to mind is coming off as an a$$hole to the people closest to you, those who know you better than anyone else.

Without going into too much detail, I know someone who is the archetypal "Type A" personality. He is without a shadow of a doubt a legit narcissist, and definitely has sociopathic tendencies, if he isn't actually just a full-blown sociopath. He allegedly went through some sort of childhood abuse, so this only makes it more likely that his core personality was shaped due to it.

And when use the terms "narcissist" and "sociopath", I'm NOT using them in the way that a lot of women nowadays like to use them to talk about shytty dudes that they've dated.

Behind the scenes, this dude rules his private life with an iron fist, controlling every person within his inner circle with unchecked power, and has everyone seemingly afraid to speak out against him and the fukked up shyt that he's done to people throughout his life.

Yet in public, he portrays himself as a shining example of a Black male role model, presenting himself as an honorable good-natured man that others should look up to. He's held various leadership roles, is well-respected, and is very charismatic.

The only possible saving grace within all of his fukkkery is that the people who TRULY know him don't respect him. However, with his recently won lifetime achievement award and having acquired a network that consists of every prominent Black man in our city from activists, city officials, and even the mayor, the approval of those he deems "important" is probably all he really cares about anyway.

After doing some reflection on your question, I guess what attracts me to wanting to have a Type A personality -- especially during the time of my life when I made that post -- is the (perceived, at least) power that seems to come from it.

Power over others. Power over circumstances. Power in attracting women. Power over enemies. Power in controlling one's life.

I'm ultimately tired of feeling weak. Like my whole life up to this point was just due to a cosmic dice roll.
You don't need power over others, just mastery over yourself. I mastered my fear of rejection and it opened tons of doors and it gave me a ton of control over casual, intimate, and familial relationships, while still respecting everyone else. Seeking power can easily mimick the lifestyles of those wimps who join the police force and become jerks . They lack the mastery over themselves and that's what makes them dangerous. A scared dude with a gun isn't an example of someone with power.

Keep doing what you are doing and watching out for potential pitfalls is sign you clearly are on the right path. Godspeed.

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
yeah i have genuine rage for the ppl who fukked with my self esteem growing up im unfortunately trapped in my hometown i think a huge part of growing would be taking the newer evolved me the fukk outta here. a lot of it comes from your own kind too.

we’re too special to have let people make us feel so doubtful about ourselves for so long
Maaaannn, same shyt here. Still stuck in my dead-ass city due to finances/circumstances.

Well, at least I get to enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when I lurk Facebook now and then.

Most of the "cool kids" and "bad bytches" that mocked me growing up have now either aged themselves 15 years thanks to heavy drinking, are saddled with at least 2 kids, or have multiple mugshots viewable on my county's online jail database.

Call me "petty", I'll gladly take the label :russ:

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
I got u breh.

You need to lose something or fail at something that you thought was something you couldn't live without.

Once you lose it and still breathe, you will understand that fear is a waste of time.

Good luck.

ObsidianDev

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OH
You don't need power over others, just mastery over yourself. I mastered my fear of rejection and it opened tons of doors and it gave me a ton of control over casual, intimate, and familial relationships, while still respecting everyone else. Seeking power can easily mimick the lifestyles of those wimps who join the police force and become jerks . They lack the mastery over themselves and that's what makes them dangerous. A scared dude with a gun isn't an example of someone with power.

Keep doing what you are doing and watching out for potential pitfalls is sign you clearly are on the right path. Godspeed.
A damn good point :wow: