Is the S23 Ultra a better purchase than midrange Mirrorless or DSLR cameras?

Best Compact and Affordable Camera with 10x Optical Zoom?

• S23 Ultra

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Mirrorless

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • DSLR

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
If I bought a DSLR or Mirrorless camera, what would I have to buy to get my camera to have the same optical zoom as the S23 Ultra? After playing around with the S23 Ultra 10 Optical Zoom in Best Buy and playing with some Mirrorless and DSLR cameras I’ve noticed that the S23 Ultra’s 10x optical zoom was better than those mirrorless and dslr cameras and that’s only because of the lens they had equipped on those camera bodys not zooming out as far. Right? IDK.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
With mirrorless/DSLR’s you need lenses aka glass

The default lenses usually are just ok and don’t do the camera justice. They do make excellent zoom lenses but they are usually expensive , and if I remember right they didn’t let in as much light as the dedicated length lenses.

When I had mine I had a lens at 35mm , 50mm, and 85mm. I didn’t bother with one big zoom lense.

Long story short, if you’re a causal just get the phone, I’ve seen great pictures taken with phones. However they do not and cannot compare to a dedicated camera.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
This article says it can reach to 230mm on the optical

Ever since the Galaxy S21 Ultra, Samsung's top dog slab phone has had the most versatile camera system on the market in terms of optical focal length, with an ultrawide camera that shoots an equivalent of 13mm and a 10x Periscope zoom lens producing an equivalent of a 230mm lens. The latter lens can actually digitally zoom up 100x, but images at that range are virtually unusable, but you can get up to 30x and images remain sharp, so essentially, the S23 Ultra system can shoot as wide as 13mm, and as long as nearly 700mm.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
@ItWasWritten

Are they really irreplaceable though? This dude said the S23 Ultra better than his profession $4000 Camera setup How the Galaxy S23 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro replaced my DSLR | Digital Trends

There is a good point to be made that the best camera equipment is the stuff that you have readily available regardless of image quality. I’ve been posting in the photography thread lately and it’s mostly been shots taken with my iphone, but imo phones are still in their infancy when it comes to competing with dedicated rigs. I’m going to spain and paris this year and though i plan on traveling as light as posssible, i’m aiming to bring my dslr with a fairly large 16-35 attached to it. Until a phone is released that can shoot in RAW, i’ll probably be holding onto my separate equipment for the foreseeable future. It all really depends on how much you like messing around in post production though.
I’d never say never though, as being a car guy for a long time now, the old saying “there’s no replacement for displacement” has been debunked with modern day technology.

Last edited:

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Until a phone is released that can shoot in RAW, i’ll probably be holding onto my separate equipment for the foreseeable future. It all really depends on how much you like messing around in post production though.
I’d never say never though, as being a car guy for a long time now, the old saying “there’s no replacement for displacement” has been debunked with modern day technology.
They shoot in raw bro! Both iPhone 14 Pro Max and S23 Ultra! I just did a Galaxy S23 Ultra vs iPhone 14 Pro Max RAW camera shootout — and Samsung beats Apple

Maybe you should play around with the new phones in Beat Buy or something lemme know what you think.

“The S23 Ultra also supports the Expert Raw app, which allows you to capture photos using Samsung's computational algorithms and save your snap as a raw file to retain more image data and greater dynamic range.”

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
@ItWasWritten

Are they really irreplaceable though? This dude said the S23 Ultra better than his profession $4000 Camera setup How the Galaxy S23 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro replaced my DSLR | Digital Trends
Good for that guy. Like I said I’ve seen incredible photos taken with a phone. However, a phone cannot compete with the lens quality of a dedicated camera nor can it compete with a dedicated sensor. It really all depends on you. Based on the information you’ve presented, I think you should just get a phone, you have to really be into photography to appreciate a camera. On top of that , you’re going to go down a rabbit hole of thousands and thousands of dollars dealing with lenses and accessories.

Yeah that guy ditched his setup but I can find you 1 million other people that would never ditch theirs, if anything, they add their phones to what they have and integrate it into their system.

Me personally, while I enjoy phone camera photos, I do not like the overprocessing and sharpening they do to try to get that DSLR/Mirrorless look. One day I do think the software will get so good you’ll be hard pressed to tell the difference, but I don’t think we’re there yet.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Good for that guy. Like I said I’ve seen incredible photos taken with a phone. However, a phone cannot compete with the lens quality of a dedicated camera nor can it compete with a dedicated sensor. It really all depends on you. Based on the information you’ve presented, I think you should just get a phone, you have to really be into photography to appreciate a camera. On top of that , you’re going to go down a rabbit hole of thousands and thousands of dollars dealing with lenses and accessories.

Yeah that guy ditched his setup but I can find you 1 million other people that would never ditch theirs, if anything, they add their phones to what they have and integrate it into their system.

Me personally, while I enjoy phone camera photos, I do not like the overprocessing and sharpening they do to try to get that DSLR/Mirrorless look. One day I do think the software will get so good you’ll be hard pressed to tell the difference, but I don’t think we’re there yet.
okay check this shyt out dawg this review is made by a photographer Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra Review - the ultimate camera phone?

“ Pro mode which gives you control over a number of different shooting parameters, including shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation, and white balance. You can use all four of the lenses in Pro mode, and it’s here that you’ll find the ability to record in raw format. You can shoot in the standard 12MP output, or you can switch to 50MP if you’d prefer. An “Expert RAW” app can be accessed via the “More” tab, but it is a separate app which needs to be downloaded. Tapping on it will take you to the separate app, but if the phone is locked then you’ll need to unlock it first. With this app, the parameters are pretty much the same as in the “Pro” mode, meaning you can change a variety of settings and shoot in raw format. The difference is, according to Samsung, that the ExpertRAW app provides a wider dynamic range when compared to using the standard app, even in Pro mode. It also includes other options, such as multiple exposures, and there’s handy settings such as a digital level to help keep your shots straight. You can edit your shots in this app using Adobe Lightroom, if you have a Creative Cloud subscription.”

^^^These are features considered standard on an entry-level mirrorless or DSLR. All I’m asking is do these standard features plus the extra zoom on S23 Ultra push it up to being as good as a midrange setup?

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
They shoot in raw bro! Both iPhone 14 Pro Max and S23 Ultra! I just did a Galaxy S23 Ultra vs iPhone 14 Pro Max RAW camera shootout — and Samsung beats Apple

Maybe you should play around with the new phones in Beat Buy or something lemme know what you think.

“The S23 Ultra also supports the Expert Raw app, which allows you to capture photos using Samsung's computational algorithms and save your snap as a raw file to retain more image data and greater dynamic range.”

Crazy, it’s nuts how fast things are moving. I still cant see myself moving from a setup with dedicated lenses yet. Even though I've consolidated my collection down to mostly zooms, I still enjoy working within certain constraints when it comes to photography as i feel it forces me to think out of the box more often than not to capture a dope shot. Plus being somewhat of a gear nerd, it's fun finding that perfect lens for my shooting preferences as every lens "draws" a little differently. For some people it's sharpness, for me it's microcontrast. My favorite camera body I ever owned was an original Canon 5D, and I still kick myself to this day for getting rid of it. Some people reason that it is because it being due to its larger sized pixels. Phone companies just try to cram as many MP's in as they can these days and it could be at the expensive of giving pictures that soul to them. It's that character than is often needed to really push a scene to that next level, and phone cams will for ever have a formulatic, somewhat sterile look to them whether shot in RAW or not.

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
As far as an answer to you poll, though it's older tech, I still do not feel limited at all with my Canon 5d iii, 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 f4. This setup can be put together for less than $2,000 which is the price for an entry level mirrorless full frame camera with no lenses. I've got some lenses sitting on CL right now in hopes of funding a 16-35 f4 to take on my trip which has a price of around $550 on the used market. Once I acquire it, I'll own my holy trinity of zoom lenses which should easily keep me satisfied for another decade easily, though I may get the itch to cop an R6ii at some point once the price drops or I can find one used for the cheap.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
As far as an answer to you poll, though it's older tech, I still do not feel limited at all with my Canon 5d iii, 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 f4. This setup can be put together for less than $2,000 which is the price for an entry level mirrorless full frame camera with no lenses. I've got some lenses sitting on CL right now in hopes of funding a 16-35 f4 to take on my trip which has a price of around $550 on the used market. Once I acquire it, I'll own my holy trinity of zoom lenses which should easily keep me satisfied for another decade easily, though I may get the itch to cop an R6ii at some point once the price drops or I can find one used for the cheap.
i worded my poll wrong probably. I guess I’m really just curious to know that can I buy an entry to midrange setup that is just as good as Samsung S23 Ultra’s 10x Optical Zoom for under $1100? Because it seems like I would have to pay more to get a similar zoom strength on a Mirrorless or DSLR

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
i worded my poll wrong probably. I guess I’m really just curious to know that can I buy an entry to midrange setup that is just as good as Samsung S23 Ultra’s 10x Optical Zoom for under $1100? Because it seems like I would have to pay more to get a similar zoom strength on a Mirrorless or DSLR

Yeah, the S23 would be the clear choice in this case. It seems to be a very capable piece of equipment at an incredible price. I'm just a dinosaur somewhat set in his ways, so I think something closer to the old days of shooting simply suits my style better. For example, I came up with dslr's that have the exposure controls on a top viewed lcd screen which I'm very used to using. If I were to get my teenage daughter a mirrorless camera, she'd be used to adjusting the exposure via the touchscreen on the back of it much like a full featured camera phone, so it would probably feel like more of a lateral move to her down the line when the tech's really start lining up with each other. If you're just getting into photography, I'd say start with the phone and see how far your interest takes you as mirrorless and dslr still do offer benefits at this time, though the gap is rapidly narrowing.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Yeah, the S23 would be the clear choice in this case. It seems to be a very capable piece of equipment at an incredible price. I'm just a dinosaur somewhat set in his ways, so I think something closer to the old days of shooting simply suits my style better. For example, I came up with dslr's that have the exposure controls on a top viewed lcd screen which I'm very used to using. If I were to get my teenage daughter a mirrorless camera, she'd be used to adjusting the exposure via the touchscreen on the back of it much like a full featured camera phone, so it would probably feel like more of a lateral move to her down the line when the tech's really start lining up with each other. If you're just getting into photography, I'd say start with the phone and see how far your interest takes you as mirrorless and dslr still do offer benefits at this time, though the gap is rapidly narrowing.
thanks dude this is good advice. Ill just buy a gimbal cause now that im not getting a dslr i can get more random accessories instead of spending alot on lenses