**ITS OFFICIAL** Walt Disney buys 21st Century FOX

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
That’s business homie. Anything fox owns gets scooped up in its assets sell. So the characters don’t go back to Disney. They’re owned by fox so whomever they sell them to that’s their right for better or worse
I'm fairly certain they do. We don't know the exact terms of the agreement, much like the Namor situation, but Feige hasn't deterred the rumors that in any event the rights are non-transferrable.
We know Fox and Sony doesn't own the rights, they are leased as long as a movie is in production within a time frame. I'm pretty sure MCU gave the ASM an extension to get back a character.

Besides that, it seems like it's a lay up legally speaking, unless Comcast does some fukkery where the Fox movie division buys Comcast the rights go back to the MCU.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm fairly certain they do. We don't know the exact terms of the agreement, much like the Namor situation, but Feige hasn't deterred the rumors that in any event the rights are non-transferrable.
We know Fox and Sony doesn't own the rights, they are leased as long as a movie is in production within a time frame. I'm pretty sure MCU gave the ASM an extension to get back a character.

Besides that, it seems like it's a lay up legally speaking, unless Comcast does some fukkery where the Fox movie division buys Comcast the rights go back to the MCU.

No fox does own them. They were sold to them. Much like Sony does. Those rights were sold to them not on a leasing issue. The terms in the contracts based on reporting from decades ago is as long as the studio is in active development of a movie the rights don’t revert. That’s not a lease. It’s part of the deal that says you own this in peepituity but after X amount of years they’d revert back. So in theory as long as fox is doing something X-men related then they keep them and own them lock stock and barrel.

Sony is leading Spider-Man to marvel right now. And there are terms to that leasing agreement. Marvel didn’t extend anything for amazing to pop off.

If Comcast buys the properties then they get the rights. Marvel studios doesn’t have any say on what fox does with them or whom they sell them too because marvel studios doesn’t own them and never did. You can’t lease what’s not yours to begin with.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
No fox does own them. They were sold to them. Much like Sony does. Those rights were sold to them not on a leasing issue. The terms in the contracts based on reporting from decades ago is as long as the studio is in active development of a movie the rights don’t revert. That’s not a lease. It’s part of the deal that says you own this in peepituity but after X amount of years they’d revert back. So in theory as long as fox is doing something X-men related then they keep them and own them lock stock and barrel.

Sony is leading Spider-Man to marvel right now. And there are terms to that leasing agreement. Marvel didn’t extend anything for amazing to pop off.

If Comcast buys the properties then they get the rights. Marvel studios doesn’t have any say on what fox does with them or whom they sell them too because marvel studios doesn’t own them and never did. You can’t lease what’s not yours to begin with.
You're right it wasn't ASM, Marvel wanted Galactus x @Silver Surfer for daredevil extension.

It's really based on how the contract is worded and made. Marvel still owns the characters, or else they couldn't keep making comics about them. Fox holds the license to make movies for those characters. Therefore, Fox does not "own" anything. Since Fox does not own the characters, they cannot sell them.

A situation similar to this happened a while back with Marvel Heroes. Marvel revoked the license, then the company closed it's doors for the last time. So there was no destination for the license at that point.

In the case of the characters that are licensed out, Marvel can't just revoke them at any time. They only revert if they are not used for a certain amount of time as we've already mentioned. However, if the studio that holds the license ceases to exist, then the license becomes moot, because, like with Marvel Heroes, the license holder no longer exists.

If another company buys Fox, the license could remain (depending on the wording of the contract), but only if the new owner keeps Fox intact, and only staff of that studio could work on the projects. So if, for example, Comcast bought Fox, and left it intact, only Fox could be involved with making the movie. They couldn't make the movie at Universal.

This of course also depends on where the license lies, and whether that's with Fox studio company, or 21st Century Fox. If it lies with 21st Century Fox, which is the highest level, there's no way for anyone else to preserve the license, since that entity would cease to exist in any form of buyout.

Ultimately this is all just wild speculation until the contract turns up on the internet or Bob Iger clears things up for some random reason.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This of course also depends on where the license lies, and whether that's with Fox studio company, or 21st Century Fox. If it lies with 21st Century Fox, which is the highest level, there's no way for anyone else to preserve the license, since that entity would cease to exist in any form of buyout.

This is the big question. And I'm pretty sure that there would be some "language" in the contract that would account for if the studio was sold to another.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
This is the big question. And I'm pretty sure that there would be some "language" in the contract that would account for if the studio was sold to another.
Yes, but the main thing to establish, is that we know nothing, and we just be like Feige, don't even think about it until there's resolution one way or another... until 2019.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yes, but the main thing to establish, is that we know nothing, and we just be like Feige, don't even think about it until there's resolution one way or another... until 2019.

Which is what I’ve been saying since this shyt went down and a lot of others have been saying but people are jumping so many guns. It’s like closing a house: nothing is over until it’s over

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps

Feige has storyboards already for X-Men and FF.

Intro of the FF is easy as shyt as all you do is just have the team doing their space exploration during the events of Infinity War create the cosmic beams that created them. Like when Thanos threw the moon....

X-Men is a whole other beast.

I ain't buying that Forrest Gump "I don't know" routine one bit slapped over his Chevy Chase.

Last edited:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Comcast wins the bid, X-MEN stay with Fox. Comcast plans to keep Fox open and active, so Disney/Marvel will NOT get the X-MEN back. I'm rooting for Comcast.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Feige has storyboards already for X-Men and FF.

Intro of the FF is easy as shyt as all you do is just have the team doing their space exploration during the events of Infinity War create the cosmic beams that created them. Like when Thanos threw the moon....

X-Men is a whole other beast.

I ain't buying that Forrest Gump "I don't know" routine one bit slapped over his Chevy Chase.
The general audience seems to accept Fox's idea of continuity. Why not fukk things up in Infinity Gauntlet and make radical changes. House of M style is a hell of a lot easier than explaining why Magneto and the X-men have had no shenanigans since the 50's, or how thousands, if not millions of mutants just became active with the clench of a fist.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
X2, First Class and DOFP ( not counting Logan or Deadpool series)

Were great until you saw
IM1
WS
CW
Thor 3
BP
IW

Now.....them shyts is:camby:
I loved Ragnarok, more than most people, but to say DOFP or X2 doesn't hold up with that list is disrespectful.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
I loved Ragnarok, more than most people, but to say DOFP or X2 doesn't hold up with that list is disrespectful.

I've been watching X-MEN flicks since 2000 and I worked at the same theater I watched them at in high school.

Not from special effects but strictly story
- focus on Wolverine
- Raven
- Charles and Magneto
-no Jubilee
- no good Gambit
- no Sinister
- terrible Apocalypse
- no Omega Red
- terrible Rogue
- awful Cyclops

I am no Disney fan boy but at least they kept a coherent story and some what stayed faithful and didn't bow to one character or actor (Iron Man to a degree yes)

The second JLaw got popular Mystique got shoved down our throats.

Magneto and Charles was completely stale.

They made an effort to spread the love. I hated Thor before MCU now I love the character.

And there was more than just Wolverine.

Fox sucks.

Last edited:

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
Disney needs to buy Comcast and liquidate them for fuking with them