I've heard enough......Its time to discuss Freddie Gibbs alltime placement

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you guys like Gibbs over soft jazz beats like Madlib and Alchemist or hard beats like he rapped on Freddie?

I like that he can do both, but I much rather have Gibbs rap on trap beats.
He good enough for both tbh I'd like if he rapped over the jazzy production with drums layered on top. To me those songs would better with drums on them.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Do you guys like Gibbs over soft jazz beats like Madlib and Alchemist or hard beats like he rapped on Freddie?

Trap beats are :trash:
That’s one thing that holds back Gibbs for me. On the one hand he’s got a discography now with multiple really dope projects with Madlib and ALC. But then he’s got a whole other part of his discography over :trash: “modern” production :to:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Gibbs is an underground artist with a strong discography (apparently at least 1 classic) that's garnered universal respect, that sounds like a good deal of people on that list, someone of which group artists being ranked individually.

Ignore the numericals
  1. Prince Po (accomplished within Organized Konfusion, what?)
  2. Posdnous (accomplished within De La)
  3. Trugoy (accomplished within De La)
  4. Del (...George Was Here, 1 classic)
  5. Ras Kass (Soul on Ice, 1 classic)
  6. Lord Finesse (lead a movement, but which solo album resonated anymore than Gibbs)
  7. Big L (1 album in his lifetime, is Poor & Dangerous enough to outdo Gibbs' output?)
  8. OC (same as Finesse)
  9. MF Doom (literally the same career parameters as Gibbs)
  10. Kool Keith (lot of material but most accomplished within Ultramagnetic)
  11. Havoc (achieved within Mobb Deep)
  12. Cormega (similar career to Gibbs)
  13. AZ (Doe or Die, 1 classic)
  14. Grand Puba (Brand Nubian)
  15. D.O.C. (has a classic and his pen with Cube's powered NWA, but Gibbs has consistency over him)
  16. Large Professor (major contributor as a producer, why is his discography as a rapper so much different?)
  17. Treach (all within Naughty)
  18. Sticky Fingaz (all within Onyx)
  19. CL Smooth (do 2 classics outweigh a decade of good to great?)
  20. Fat lip (Pharcyde)
  21. Cam’ron (obviously a star, are his best 2-3, albums better than Gibbs)
That's 40% of a 54-man list that's arguable, half of them are getting credit for group accomplishments. You're saying stardom isn't necessary but in order to avoid being shut out of the Top 50 by most or all of these artists that's basically what's being asked.
I think it’s really going to be interesting to see how Gibbs will be viewed ten years from now. I think the connection between mainstream hip hop and the underground is the weakest it’s ever been. I fear there is a really small core group of us who love these projects with Madlib and ALC but all of it will be forgotten in ten years by mainstream hip hop.
Doom, Mega and Price can all be considered to have occupied the spot Gibbs has now and all are remembered as legends for what they did on the underground in their heyday (and all have the failed “mainstream” career as well).

will Gibbs be remembered the same way? I don’t know.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
No offense but I'm kinda confused as to your overarching point.

You said mainstream presence. Now you're talking about records or defining albums.

The two don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. "Death Certificate" is a defining album that had zero mainstream presence.

I'm obviously not saying Gibbs is doing anything remotely on the level of "Death Certificate" but he has no machine behind him to have a mainstream presence. He don't have Interscope like K Dot. He don't have Spotify and Apply putting his shyt on every playlist as soon as it drops, like Drake. And to be fair, he doesn't have that push because he hasn't made any effort to have it. Besides a distribution deal with RCA. But in 2020 (and honestly, long before that) "mainstream presence" is synonymous with "is the machine pushing you?"....and the answer for him is "no".

Fred.
Yeah and in 2020 mainstream also just means young people are talking about you on social media.

Edit: :manny: I just peeped youtube and most of is videos have 2-5 million views and he doesn't have a major deal. That's solid imo.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

I like him on both. Some of those Madlib and Alc beats are really hard. With 808s and everything. Ultimately it comes down to the person picking them. Gibbs tends to pick less ultra aggressive beats when working with sample based producers and that can be traced all the way back to his 2010 days

Supreme365

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC
Just moved him past nas in my top 5

Pinata/Bandana are classics
Alfredo/Fetti are damn near classics
First heard his “the ghetto” song been bumping his shyt ever since
nikka only got better and expanded his range from his beats to his content
nikka might not have the numbers as the other nikkas but just on some hiphop shyt, he the goat. Best discography in rap

1.) Gibbs
2.) nas
3.) mos def
4.) ghostface
5.) K. Dot

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Trap beats are :trash:
That’s one thing that holds back Gibbs for me. On the one hand he’s got a discography now with multiple really dope projects with Madlib and ALC. But then he’s got a whole other part of his discography over :trash: “modern” production :to:

He's trying to hit everyone man. He wants "anthems" over trap beats that are high energy, that he can perform in clubs. He also wants his respect as an MC, which is why he started doing shyt with Madlib in the first place.

Fred.

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
I guess this is a regional thing. I never heard anybody talk about Gibbs in Texas/Louisiana

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If hip hop had all decade teams like 2k, he'd be on the bench or a sixth man for the 2010s decade.

But he's not a hall of famer yet.